PDA

View Full Version : Naval Quiz

McCarthy
28th December 2005, 20:32
I was looking through the archives and I saw Murfs quiz so I thought Id give it a go.
I only have a few questions but I'll add more accordingly.

1.What was the senior appointment in the NS before FOCNS?

2.What was the title of the CO of the Naval Base pre 1980?

3.Where were the CPV's built?

4.What were the CPV's called when they were part of the Hong Kong Squadron?

5.When training was carried out on Spike Island, what was the name of the grouping there?

California Tanker
28th December 2005, 22:58
3 is Aberdeen, methinks, and 4 is Swallow and Swift, if I recall correctly.

NTM

McCarthy
29th December 2005, 18:17
Right, since there are no other takers...
Cal Tank...your correct

moggy
30th December 2005, 10:09
Right, since there are no other takers...
Cal Tank...your correct

Whats the prize >>

Gripper
30th December 2005, 18:43
CONS - Commanding Officer Naval Service.
OCNBAD - Officer Commanding Naval Base And Dockyard
Hall russell aberdeen
swift and swallow
Naval Detachment :wink:

McCarthy
30th December 2005, 18:44
good man yerself

Goldie fish
30th December 2005, 19:26
Looks on proudly

McCarthy
30th December 2005, 19:34
why didnt you have a go goldie?
You are the expert after all

Goldie fish
30th December 2005, 19:43
Thats why i didnt have a go.

McCarthy
30th December 2005, 21:53
CONS - Commanding Officer Naval Service.
OCNBAD - Officer Commanding Naval Base And Dockyard
Hall russell aberdeen
swift and swallow
Naval Detachment :wink:

Hang on a minute..I just realised No.2 is incorrect and No.5 is incomplete

hptmurphy
30th December 2005, 22:42
Eh! no he isn't ...I am

Goldie fish
31st December 2005, 03:13
Eh! no he isn't ...I am
I think on last count the title is shared.

Lordinajamjar
31st December 2005, 07:41
If you've no objection McCarthy I'd like to throw in a little quiz of my own.

As you know there have been several posts about the Irish Naval Service questioning why Ireland doesn't have "warships" and why more money isn't spent on the navy. Which got me thinking about other European navies and their active roles. So I'm going to list several countries and all you have to do is state the year and the action involved in which any ship/rowing boat of each country's navy was last engaged in any type of action against an armed aggressor. Onshore fist fights in foreign bars don't count.

There are no prizes. For the hell of it I'll set a deadline of January 10th on which day I'll share my answers. Good luck.

1: Norwey

2: Sweden

3: Belgium

4: Netherlands

5: France

6: Spain

7: Portugal

8: Italy

9: Greece

McCarthy
31st December 2005, 12:01
Norway

HNoMS POL III was attacked by the German ship Albatross in a battle that spanned from April 8th 1940 to June 7th 1940.As the german fleet were headed back to Oslo, the German ship Blucher was torpedoed and the Germans retreated

Sweden

MTB Higgins was burned and sunk in 1957

Belgium

During the Belgian Revolution in September 1830, the Army was pushed back into refuge in Antwerp and Meastricht. The Naval squadron blocked the Scheldt to prevent illegal trading

Netherlands

De Zezen Provincion a coastal defence ship was badly damaged by Japanese aircraft on 18th February 1942

France

La Combattante was sunk 23rd February 1945

Spain

3rd July 1898 Admiral Cervera tried to charge at a modern American squadron during the Spanish American War

Portugal

f482 Roberto Ivens collided in 1995 with the Canadian AOR PRESENTER

Italy

14th June 1942 the cruiser Hermione was torpedoed and sunk by V-205 and as a result the Italian fleet retreated towards Toronto but the RAF and the Maltese torpedoes sink the "Vigorous" ships.

Greece

The Leon was sunk in Suda Bay, Crete by German aircraft on 15th May 1941

California Tanker
31st December 2005, 23:45
I think France had some of their ships involved in the Kosovo deal, didn't they? Foch, perhaps?

Greek naval ships saw combat post-war, in the Civil War if nothing else. I wouldn't be too surprised if they traded a few shots with their Turkish counterparts in 1974.

NTM

McCarthy
10th January 2006, 18:05
If you've no objection McCarthy I'd like to throw in a little quiz of my own.

As you know there have been several posts about the Irish Naval Service questioning why Ireland doesn't have "warships" and why more money isn't spent on the navy. Which got me thinking about other European navies and their active roles. So I'm going to list several countries and all you have to do is state the year and the action involved in which any ship/rowing boat of each country's navy was last engaged in any type of action against an armed aggressor. Onshore fist fights in foreign bars don't count.

There are no prizes. For the hell of it I'll set a deadline of January 10th on which day I'll share my answers. Good luck.

1: Norwey

2: Sweden

3: Belgium

4: Netherlands

5: France

6: Spain

7: Portugal

8: Italy

9: Greece

Answers please..

Bosco
31st January 2006, 23:12
Right navy heads I need you to help me settle an arguement i'm having.
This american bloke claims that the americans are the only navy that have aircraft carriers. I know this is not true.
Can ye give me a list of the navys that have aircraft carriers and if so how many.?
I know I can call him up on the British ones and the French ones and the retired Russian one. But I really want to burn him with names and the like and get him to shut up for a while.
I would like to smack him up but a friend is seeing him and to be honest i'm more afriad of her that him.
My attempts at googling this have came up with the Foch, Charles De Gaulle, Kunestov, Hermes, Invincible.
Any help would be appeciated as my knowledge of naval stuff is limited to what I say in that naval muesem in Den Helder.

McCarthy
31st January 2006, 23:25
This link should have everything you are looking for. It will involve a lot of copying and pasting though.. Edit: May be a bit out of date

www.hazegray.org/navhist/carriers/summary.htm (http://www.hazegray.org/navhist/carriers/summary.htm)

Goldie fish
31st January 2006, 23:26
Argentina used to have one, the Vientecinco de mayo. Chile had one too..
However some commentators do not consider carriers that operate STOVL aircraft as "proper" aircraft carriers. Particularly the US Navy, as their amphib landing ships operate harriers.
So you are down to Carriers that have a Catapult and Wire arrestor for aircraft landing. These are becoming increasingly rare. Just the french, at the moment. (Charles De Gaulle?)
My own Janes' is missing at the moment.

Steamy Window
1st February 2006, 00:19
Netherlands

De Zezen Provincion a coastal defence ship was badly damaged by Japanese aircraft on 18th February 1942

I think there was something a bit more significant than that around that time...there was a naval command known as ABDA (American British Dutch Australian) which took on the Japanese, commanded by a Dutch admiral...John Keegan book, alas, out of reach. Anyone able to back me up here?

Bosco
1st February 2006, 02:04
Nice one lads cheers for the info on the carriers.
I don't think this guy knows the difference between a carrier and a tug boat(then again neither do I)
but at least I can shut him up for a while with the link.

Sailor Girl
5th February 2006, 22:26
I was looking through the archives and I saw Murfs quiz so I thought Id give it a go.
I only have a few questions but I'll add more accordingly.

1.What was the senior appointment in the NS before FOCNS?

2.What was the title of the CO of the Naval Base pre 1980?

3.Where were the CPV's built?

4.What were the CPV's called when they were part of the Hong Kong Squadron?

5.When training was carried out on Spike Island, what was the name of the grouping there?

1. Commanding Officer & Director Naval Service
2. Commanding Officer Haulbowline
3. Hall Russell, Aberdeen, UK
4. HMS Swift & HMS Swallow
5. Naval Detachment, Fort Mitchel.

:biggrin:
________
Granny Video (http://www.****tube.com/categories/23/granny/videos/1)

McCarthy
5th February 2006, 22:30
Close..
No. 5 is Naval Detachment Spike Island

McCarthy
5th February 2006, 22:33
Heres one for ya

When LE's Aoife and Aisling were being built in VCD what were their yard numbers?

GoneToTheCanner
6th February 2006, 13:50
Hi all
I thought the holder of the post in Q.2 was referred to as "CONBAD". As for the carriers, didn't the Indian Navy have the "Vikrant" until fairly recently, with older model Sea Harriers aboard.
regards
GttC

Sailor Girl
6th February 2006, 16:52
The VCD Yard numbers for the ship's are ;

LE Aoife 969

LE Aisling 973
________
Lincoln navigator specifications (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Lincoln_Navigator)

California Tanker
6th February 2006, 18:34
Right navy heads I need you to help me settle an arguement i'm having.
This american bloke claims that the americans are the only navy that have aircraft carriers. I know this is not true.

Daft bugger.

Conventional carrier operators are Brazil (Sao Paulo, A-4s), France (Charles de Gaulle, Rafale), Russia (Admiral of the Fleet Kuznetsov, Su-33), India (Vikramaditya, MiG-29, not yet in service). None are the size of American supercarriers or have comparable air complements. Venitcinco de Mayo (Argentina) is out of service. Russia and India use a ski jump, not a catapult.

Harrier Carrier operators are Spain (Principe de Asturias), Italy (Giuseppe Garibaldi, Cavour), Thailand (Chakri Nareubet), UK (Ark Royal, Illustrious), India (Viraat). India used to be a Harrier Carrier operator only, until they bought Gorshkov to replace Vikraant, leaving Viraat in service. A new ship based on Cavour is under construction, it will likely replace Viraat. If he argues that harrier carriers don't count, tell him to talk to the Argentinians on the issue.

The Chinese have finally made clear what everyone knew: They are trying to ressurect Chinluck (ex-Varyag) which would give them a conventional carrier, if they ever get it to work. (I'm doubtful)

NTM

GoneToTheCanner
6th February 2006, 18:49
Hi all
How are Irish ships numbered,then? Is the P31 the 31st vessel in service, like the Air Corp's numbering sequence? Are the Yard numbers sequential? Are they the manufacturer's serial number, in effect?
Cal Tanker, is the Mig29 the only fighter which is both land and carrier-rated?
regards
GttC

McCarthy
6th February 2006, 18:57
Hi all
How are Irish ships numbered,then? Is the P31 the 31st vessel in service, like the Air Corp's numbering sequence? Are the Yard numbers sequential? Are they the manufacturer's serial number, in effect?
Cal Tanker, is the Mig29 the only fighter which is both land and carrier-rated?
regards
GttC
Every class of ship has different numbers;

Corvettes : 01, 02, 03

Minesweepers: 10, 11, 12

Patrol vessels: 20, 21, 22, 23

Helicopter Patrol Vessel: 31

Coastal Patrol vessels: 41, 42

Patrol Vessels: 51 52

California Tanker
6th February 2006, 19:06
Each class of ship is given an "X1" number. So P31 is the lead Eithne, P41 is the lead Orla, and P51 is the lead Roisin.

I'm not sure I understand your question about land/carrier rated. Many aircraft (such as F/A-18) are used primarily as a carrier-based aircraft by the US and as land-based aircraft by other countries, for example. MiG-29 and Su-33 are a little different in that they were initially designed to be land-based aircraft, later converted for carrier use. Su-25 was another land-starter, but had only a short career as a carrier aircraft. Given the stresses that are involved in carrier operations, this is no mean feat. Rafale was designed from the outset to work both ways. Gripen could take the stresses of carrier landings, but to my knowledge it has never been actively considered for marketing as such.

NTM

Goldie fish
6th February 2006, 19:15
Dockyard numbers usually refer to the Project, rather than the ship.

As the Dockyard in Rushbrooke was originally built in 1860 by John Wheeler, there would have been easily 900+ projects of different sizes undertaken by Verolme, the gap between the two can be explained by the Yard being very busy at the time of the almost concurrent building of Aoife and Aisling. Such work include the "extension" of the Bell Racer and St Killian 2, and Accomodation modules for offshore exploration platforms.

The F/A 18 is an aircraft commonly seen on both Land and Aircraft Carriers. Canada and spain use it from Shore Bases(as do the USMC) while the US Navy operate it from Carriers.

McCarthy
6th February 2006, 20:02
The VCD Yard numbers for the ship's are ;

LE Aoife 969

LE Aisling 973

good job
:smile:

hptmurphy
6th February 2006, 21:54
eh! ...HPVs are 31..not 32...

McCarthy
6th February 2006, 22:06
eh! ...HPVs are 31..not 32...

Good Eye!

Goldie fish
6th February 2006, 23:56
There was a P32 once...crewed by Irish seafarers too...I'll dig up a photo of it...

Sailor Girl
14th February 2006, 21:01
Still see the picture ?:frown:
________
Easy Vape (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/easy-vape)

Goldie fish
7th June 2009, 10:49
http://gallery.irishmilitaryonline.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=4932&g2_serialNumber=2

How sharp are yer eyes.
Where is this lighthouse?

hptmurphy
7th June 2009, 18:48
Dunmore East.

armedboarder
7th June 2009, 20:25
So does anyone have the answer to how the ships are numbered.

Corvettes : 01, 02, 03

Minesweepers: 10, 11, 12

Patrol vessels: 20, 21, 22, 23

Helicopter Patrol Vessel: 31

Coastal Patrol vessels: 41, 42

Patrol Vessels: 51 52

What happened to 00,30,40,50 ??

hptmurphy
8th June 2009, 00:25
By type

the zeros were the Corvettes,

the teens were bastardised versions of the UK penant number sysetm the UKRN use on the the Ton class sweepers , Cm Being Coastal mine seeper as we had used o1 o2 o3..we had to change penant numbers with the new class the PVs again wa new class had their own numbring system the HPv a new class knew numbers
the peacocks had their own system we adapted it.

the p50s were new class had had their own numbers quite simple realy.
t

spud68
8th June 2009, 17:32
numbers of the mtb's, ferdia , and murchu, anyone

hptmurphy
8th June 2009, 19:41
Ferdia and setanta were auxiliaries and carried A15 and A 16
the clue being the 'A'

Murchu didn't have a pennant number and the MTB s were numbered as per purchased.

Test Pilot
8th June 2009, 19:49
numbers of the mtb's, ferdia , and murchu, anyone

MTB1 M1

L.E. Macha 01, (ex HMS Borage).
L.E. Maev 02, ( ex HMS Oxslip).
L.E. Cliona, 03, (ex HMS Bellworth)
L.E. Ferdia, A16 (ex danish trawler).
L. E. Setanta, A15 (ex Isolda, Irish Lights).
L.E. Grainne, CM10, (ex HMS Alverton).
L.E. Banba, CM11, (ex HMS Oulston).
L.E. Fola, CM12, (ex HMS Blaxton).

I have all the photos of the above , Thanks to ex CPO Roary McCarthy, If
any one is interested.

golden rivet
9th June 2009, 13:57
the sweepers were different in a few ways and having served on them the question is what were they

Test Pilot
10th June 2009, 08:07
the sweepers were different in a few ways and having served on them the question is what were they

Wooden hull on alumium frames?

Stank to high hell of stale diesel?

Voice pipes, where on one occasion after blowing into it the receiver put his ear to the tube only to be met with a 'fart' from above. Duty watch I'm led to believe.

golden rivet
10th June 2009, 22:04
Wooden hull on alumium frames?

Stank to high hell of stale diesel?

Voice pipes, where on one occasion after blowing into it the receiver put his ear to the tube only to be met with a 'fart' from above. Duty watch I'm led to believe.

the banba had a carbon filter system for nuclear war attack
the fola had a battery powered bofor
and grainne had a pre wetting system
all were ripped apart by the paddy when they could not fix them..