The Best Firing Range in the Country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Best Firing Range in the Country

What do you lads think is the best firing ranges in the country? I’m assuming the Curragh is the finest, although I have never been there. Kilworth in my opinion is a great place, but a little bleak.

Give you opinions.

curragh does the job fairly well....
    Pussyand Gunsmoke.......live by one, die by the other, and love the smell of both in the morning!!

Comment

I've never fired in Finner but I do think that the Rifle Range in the Curragh is the best 4 the shooting it's like a golf course in the summer Gormonston is good aswell when the 200-100 doesn't flood.

Friends Come and Go, but Enemies accumulate!!

Comment

Finner for me, ive fired on a few but you can't beat the home comforts

Comment

Lets go a'huntin!

Plenty of wabbits to shoot at in Finner!! Does that count?!
          Courage is being scared to death, but saddlin'up anyway - John Wayne

Comment

Oh man don’t talk to me about wabbits in Finner. The all army last year was like an obstacle course. Little wabbit holes everywhere. The camp too is just full of the little basterds. But they’re just so cute.

On the subject of wild life, we were in Kilcorgan, outside Cahir in Tipp, and a fesent walked out on to the firing point and we tried real real hard to get him to move, but he ran in front of a bullet. The officers in Kilham Barrack had fesent that night.
            The next day 5 deer ran across the range, but we had just finished firing so there was no venison on the menu that night.

Kilworth was fixed up nicely for the Southern brigade shoot and all army this year. It really is looking very well, with virgin targets and tidy butts.

Comment

HA!

we tried real real hard to get him to move, but he ran in front of a bullet
              Thats one of the best god damn quotes i've heard in a long time! Tryin to be all pacifist.....The deer must have been watchin the first time and went all suicidal!!:D
              Courage is being scared to death, but saddlin'up anyway - John Wayne

Comment

Curragh ranges are the best i've been to, except when the sheep decide that the best grass in front the targets!:D

Comment

ah the rabbits! had to come up somewhere at some stage. never seen a place like it there are thousands of the buggers. ive heard of a few guys who ended up on crutches beacause of their holes. My da remembers a time when they had mixematoses they had to go around shooting them i think. nothing like a bit of rabbit stew

Comment

they're all the same. a firing range is a firing range is a firing range is a firing range is a....you get my point.

Comment

The rabbits in Finner are wee f*ckers. Doing a recce patrol in the dark can be dodgy enough.....doing it in Finner you have to look out for 100's of rabbit holes. One of the lads on our course fell foul of a rabbit hole and had to get taken to Sligo hospital.

I have only fired on the range in Finner before so I cant comment....I dont think the 25 yard range inside Castlebar barracks counts!

Comment

Have to disagree there Inf Boy, there are some ranges that are just a pleasure to fire on and some that are desperately shite. Tralee sucks, whereas Kilworth is much better quality.

The only fault I'd have with Kilcoran is that the stones on the firing point are sharp and scarce. It was like diving on concrete. Not good.
                        Last edited by Guest; 30 April 2003, 14:53.

Comment

Originally posted by FCA Trooper
                          they're all the same. a firing range is a firing range is a firing range is a firing range is a....you get my point.
                          I could not DISAGREE with you more. Have you visited many ranges FCA Trooper?

Some ranges have stones on the firing point while others have grass. It’s much easier to get down on grass and be comfortable for shooting.
                          Some ranges are on the side of a mountain (i.e.; Tralee, Kilcolgan) while in Kilworth, Finner and the likes of Oranmore you are firing in a straight line. This can really affect you points of aim, holding and zeroing of the rifle.
                          The condition of the butts also determines your ability to improve your firing and accuracy. If the targets are in poor condition or if there aren’t any patched for pasting how will you know how to adjust you sight on the rifle?

Comment

every range has it own pros and cons, in Kilworth you are still firing up hill a little. On number five range where the Plates were ran last sunday the left hand side is more level than the right, still it beats the range in Tralee any day, last time i ran the plates there during the Col Barry cup it was like running trough a swam up to the firing point.

Comment

The curragh is pretty good. Kilcoran is crap because most of the mechanisms for the targets are ready to fall apart and when it rains the water runs right into your eyes when you're in the butts trying to indicate on a target. The various indoor ranges are all the same except for that hi-tec one in the curragh with the all the electronics.

Comment

Working...
                              X