Tribute to VC on coin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tribute to VC on coin

This will be of intrest to collectors . From todays Daily Express.The royal mint yesterday launched two new 50p coins to commemorate 150 years of the victoria cross.
    One shows a soldier carrying an injured comrade and the other features the actual medal, which is the highest gallantry medal that can be awarded to the queen's forces .
    They will be in general circulation from april 3rd.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by haribo; 28 January 2006, 17:35.

For a second I thought you were talking about the Viet Cong....
    Meh.

Comment

Name the first VC winner :tri:

Comment

[QUOTE=yooklid]For a second I thought you were talking about the Viet Cong

Incoming................ '

]Pardon the intrusion, but theres a yankee about

(yosmite sam)

Name the first VC winner

I know he was an irishman , i am pretty sure
        Last edited by haribo; 28 January 2006, 18:51.

Comment

Originally posted by rod and serpent
          Name the first VC winner :tri:

Hopefully the Royal Mint will bring out a gift set where we can collect every winner or at least one from every campaign. I do believe Rod there is a young Fusilier who was from near you who won the VC, Newmills was'nt it? Am sure the pub was named after him.
          Don't recall the name fully as I was completely leathered when I was carried out!

Comment

Hopefully the Royal Mint will bring out a gift set where we can collect every winner or at least one from every campaign.

yes, that would be a good idea. i have a friend who is vastly knowledged in all tings to do with military awards medals, and such like .Try get a hold of him for more info about the first VC reciprent .

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster
              Hopefully the Royal Mint will bring out a gift set where we can collect every winner or at least one from every campaign. I do believe Rod there is a young Fusilier who was from near you who won the VC, Newmills was'nt it? Am sure the pub was named after him.
              Don't recall the name fully as I was completely leathered when I was carried out!

Rooster, Im surprised that you dont know who the first VC winner is. I`ll give you a clue Royal Navy and Co Armagh

Yes you are right about the VC winner from Newmills his name escapes me at the minute.

Comment

Lt C.D. Lucas RN for bravery on 21st June 1854 in the Baltic Sea.

Google is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV
                  Google is your friend.
                  Unless you're looking for tanks...

Comment

Originally posted by DeV
                    Lt C.D. Lucas RN for bravery on 21st June 1854 in the Baltic Sea.

Google is your friend.

Damn right, give that man a chocolate biscuit.

Comment

Some Irish men who received the VC

Irish VC's

Glaine ár gcroí
                      Neart ár ngéag
                      Agus beart de réir ár mbriathar

Comment

Originally posted by DeV
                        Google is your friend.
                        No its not. It is the evil tool of the devil.
                        Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
                        Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
                        do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

Comment

Originally posted by DeV
                          Lt C.D. Lucas RN for bravery on 21st June 1854 in the Baltic Sea
                          From - THE WARRIOR Newsletter August 1997

Founded by Queen Victoria in 1856, this is the highest award which may be given for gallentry in the face of the enemy by the british.

It may also be awarded to members of the services and is open to both men and women ,though no woman has yet, recieved it

Since its foundation there have been nearly 1,400 awards.

Of these 164 have been won by Irishmen whilst serving in the British Army.

The first cross ever awarded was to an irishman Charles David Lucas (mate -Late rear Admiral) Royal Navy for throwing a live bomb overboard from his ship on the 21st june 1854 during the crimea war.

Lucas was born in Drumergole Country Armagh.

The first victoria cross to be awarded to the army was awarded to an irishman.He was sgt Luke o' conner (later Major General Sir luke) for heroic action during the crimea war.

Sir Luke was the first man to perform an action which subsequently led to the award on 26th september 1845.

Sir Luke was born in Elphin Co Roscommon.

Thomas Finn, drummer boy north staffordshire Regiment who was 15 years and 3 months old when awarded the cross for action in the Indian mutiny 28th November 1857.

Thomas Finn was born in Athlone County Westmeath

The first civilian awarded the cross was Mr thomas Kavanagh (Indian cival service ) during the Indian mutiny in 1857.

Mr K avanagh was born in Mullingar co Westmeath

IRISH VC's WON BY COUNTY

ANTRIM - 8
                          ARMAGH - 8
                          CORK- 17
                          CLARE - 2
                          CARLOW- 2
                          CAVAN - 5
                          DONEGAL 3
                          DOWN - 7
                          DUBLIN 22
                          FERMANAGH 6
                          GALWAY - 8
                          KERRY - 2
                          KILDARE - 3
                          KILKENNY -6
                          LIMERICK - 6
                          LEITRIM - 6
                          LAOIS - 4
                          DERRY - 4

(The list of VC awards is constantly updated as more information is gathered and established on recipients. )

Comment

Working...
                          X