Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A'stan

Originally posted by Come-quickly

Seriously I think that Bertie might have been shaken by not being allowed to play with the other children in afghanistan due to the whole issue of our logistical abilities or lack thereof

have you got anymore information on this? i'd not heard anything about any potential Irish involvement with Op Herrick in general and the recently anounced Brigade Battle Group deployment in particular - i was under the impression that it was only the UK, Canada, Denmark, possibly The Netherlands and possibly Australia and New Zealand contributing to the deployment.

cheers.

the "Stan

Finally getting time to get ont he board. The Afghan mission is multi layered and the Irish rules for deployment are very constrained (based on my readings). There is the ISAF (Intl. Security and Assistance Force) which is the NATO driven "rebuilding" effort. They are providing security and fielding "Provincial Reconstruction Teams" (PRT's) in northern, western and soon southern Afghanistan. The PRT's sort out building roads, bridges, schools, digging wells, etc. The Irish contingent here is a EOD/Logistic cell working with the ISAF HQ in Kabul, it's 10-12 lads I think. The ISAF mission is to "provide stability" and not engange in offensive operations against the Taliban. Currently ISAF has Brits, Spanish, Canadioans, French, Italians, Norway, Poland, Ireland, Croatia and a handful of others. These contributions range from a Regiment sized formation like the Brits to 4 man "cells".

The other part of this web is CJTF-76 (Coalition Joint Task Force-76) which is the US led "War on Terrorism" effort. It has troops primarity in the East engaging in offensive ops against the Taliban (or Anti Coalition Militia as they are now called). CJTF-76 is US, Aussies, French, Dutch, Romania and a few others. On top of that there are units providing Embedded training Teams (ETT's) who are training and deploying with the Afghan Natl. Army (ANA) and they are part of CJTF-76, but only as trainers and "advisors"

Confused? You should see the levels of approval a simple patrol has to go through to make sure no one is conflicting with someone else. Our teams can request air support from say the Spainish if they are under attack as that is "defensive" but we can't use their heli's to insert a team because that's "offensive" It's crazy.

Given the Irish political hysteria about "neutrality" and not wanting to be seen as part of anything that smells of NATO or an "offensive" operation, I don't see a contribution beyond what they have now. I think it would be a good mission for a Bn sized formation from Ireland, but I don't think the Irish public/govt would approve of anything that is not UN peacekeeping in a very permissive environment. As an aside, our EOD team here is very highly thought of and are considered very much the experts.

Cheers,

A

Comment

Originally posted by irishrgr
      As an aside, our EOD team here is very highly thought of and are considered very much the experts.
      "Ours" as in Irish or US?

Keep Safe.
      Meh.

Comment

like the Brits to 4 man "cells".
        Fire Teams.:tri:

Comment

The Irish contingent here is a EOD/Logistic cell working with the ISAF HQ in Kabul, it's 10-12 lads
          Its actually 7 and they work in the liason role- with the Lt Col acting as 2 I/C to the visitors bearau

Where abouts in A/Stan are you based
          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

I can stand to be corrected on the number/role, that's what we were briefed, but it was an old presentation. The teams I refer to are US SF teams, we're here with the "GWOT" crew, I'm based at Bagram.....it's a great place if you like dust....not exactly Butlins....

Comment

shh don't say where you are Al Qaida might be reading.
              It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

The teams I refer to are US SF teams, we're here with the "GWOT" crew, I'm based at Bagram.....it's a great place if you like dust....not exactly Butlins....
                WOW DUST!! what a coincidence, we have loads of it here also!!

Comment

Working...
                X