Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Protective clothing for armoured vehicle crews?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protective clothing for armoured vehicle crews?

Hi all
    Do the crews of PDF AFVs wear any kind of flash-hood or protective clothing? Is it common practise in foreign armies to wear anything other than standard-issue combat clothing, whilst inside AFVs? Are NS personnel the only ones to wear flash-hoods?
    regards
    GttC

No they do not...and the DPM gear is not fire retarded either. Also the smocks are too baggy for the inside of AFVs. I did question the minister on this before...but it went right over his head.

As sure it'll be alright until some gets hurt!
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner
      Hi all
      Do the crews of PDF AFVs wear any kind of flash-hood or protective clothing? Is it common practise in foreign armies to wear anything other than standard-issue combat clothing, whilst inside AFVs? Are NS personnel the only ones to wear flash-hoods?
      regards
      GttC
      GttC, I'm pretty sure that our trans Atlantic cousins wear a fire retardant Nomex suit, for use in AFV's. Cal Tanker will be able to confirm or deny this, I'm sure.
      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Technically, nothing issued today to the new soldier in US Basic is 'safe for wear in tanks', from the T-shirt through the boots to the raincoat due to all the synthetic materials

However, the nomex CVC is still on issue once you get to your unit, but you don't have enough. I had one single nomex suit for my year in Iraq, so for most days, as with most people, I wore standard DCUs. Most tankers quickly buy their own tanker boots anyway, because they're cool.

The rules for live fire gunnery are that you can wear BDUs as long as the top button is done up (It usually isn't), and gloves are worn, either leather or nomex. Boots must be all leather. There is a nomex balaclava as well, but it covers only the ears and neck, not the face. I don't know anyone that wears it.

This was pretty much our standard summer get-up: Gunner and driver in a T-shirt, loader and TC in DCUs with armour. I started wearing nomex gloves about half-way in, mainly for comfort.

NTM
        Last edited by California Tanker; 22 February 2006, 23:59.
        Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

Jesus,Cal!
          You couldn't swing a mouse in that space, not to mind a cat.Heaven help you if a flash fire went thru the fighting compartment. Still, I suppose you could use the gunner's head as a step to get out the top hatch!
          regards
          GttC

Comment

Its quite roomy compared to a panhard...

Then again, you are not trying to seat 4 in an AML90

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Well, remember, I'm 3" taller than the regulations allow for tankers. I fit much better in the M1 than in the AML, mind.

NTM
              Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

Working...
              X