16 Moore St

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16 Moore St

This historically significant building is scheduled for destruction and to be replaced by a badly needed shopping centre. For those who don't know the leaders of the 1916 Rising took the decision to surrender in this building which is marked by a minute plaque about twenty feet up on the wall. One commentator noted recently that the GPO itself should be a museum at this stage. Well surely this building should be an adjunct to it.
    sigpic
    Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
    My favourite moment was when the
    red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

I think it would be wrong to destroy this building. One of the final and most significant acts of the Easter Rising took part in that house and it would be a disgrace to tear it down, especially to make way for a commercial development.

Anyone who has been on Moore St and the area around will know its a pretty rough looking part of the city but I think any regeneration should incorporate the house.

Comment

Considering those damn Trinity "southern unionists" were able to get Carsons birthplace listed, surely it shouldn't be too hard to save this. I am surprised the Shinners aren't all over it already.

-Y
      Meh.

Comment

I didnt know they marked Carsons birthplace.

Ah well, I suppose we should know where traitors were born as well as Patriots.

Comment

ICUN that's an unfair comment.
          Traitors betray a country they previously pledged allegiance to. I don't think Carson ever did that.

This is the History section, not politics. Please bear that in mind.

Comment

I don't see any good reason why Carson's birthplace should not have been marked with or without the influence of the "southern unionists". I think that 16 Moore St should be preserved and the GPO turned into a museum because they are hugely significant places in Irish history even though I believe that the 1916 Rising was a disaster for Ireland and it's leaders little short of lunatics. Thta's a historical not a political observation by the way.

I doubt that SF would want to preserve the place that the 1916 leaders surrendered. Their interest in history is to manipulate it to justify IRA terrorism and so on.
            sigpic
            Say NO to violence against Women

My favourite moment was when the
            red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Originally posted by Groundhog
              I doubt that SF would want to preserve the place that the 1916 leaders surrendered. Their interest in history is to manipulate it to justify IRA terrorism and so on.
              Now that definitely is a political comment :D take it to the Politics section will ye?

Comment

16 moore st (again)

was saved

Dublin City Council has voted by an overwhelming majority to call for the preservation of a house in Moore Street where the leaders of the 1916 Rising had their last meeting and decided to surrender to British forces.
                Meh.

Comment

Working...
                X