Information Request (Via Email)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information Request (Via Email)

Recieved via email, any replies or information through here please.

Shane

I am researching history of my great grandfather John Bernard Brough and I know he signed up to the british army in Portadown in 1903, his regiment number is 16 342 and he was suposedly in the Royal Garrison Artillery, but that's as much as I know (well, I know some of the places he served). The RGA seems to be a broad organisation, would there have been a more specific regiment that he belonged to? Any help in pointing me in the right direction to find out more information would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

Royal Artillery Museum, somewhere in Yorkshire, I forget the exact address.
    Royal Artillery Historical Society
    http://www.army.mod.uk/rahistoricalsociety/
    National Archives, Kew.

With the Regimental number some expert might be able to get a battery or brigade to which he belonged. After that his army record should be easy to find if the Hun didn't blow it up in the Blitz.

I'd also try posting a query on Genforum and Rootsweb.
    Last edited by Groundhog; 21 February 2006, 03:30.
    sigpic
    Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
    My favourite moment was when the
    red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

http://www.originsnetwork.com/help/a...ilita2.htm#rga

Ireland's Royal Garrison Artillery
      This dataset is an index to Militia Attestation Papers, for the period 1872 to 1915, for over 12,500 militiamen in the Royal Garrison Artillery (present day Royal Artillery) in Ireland.

The Royal Garrison Artillery had militia in the counties of Antrim, Clare, Cork, Donegal, Dublin, Limerick, Sligo, Tipperary, Waterford and Wicklow, plus Ulster; it is not clear what the difference is between the militia for Ulster - which of course contains County Antrim - and that for County Antrim. (At The National Archives, the Attestation Papers for Ulster, Antrim and Waterford are contained within the same box, though sorted separately. While the Ulster papers do not contain men born in Antrim, the Antrim and the Ulster papers both contain men born in Armagh.) Although most Attestation Papers for a particular militia are for men born in that county, there are many papers for each county where the men were born in adjacent counties (particularly where these adjacent counties had no militia of their own), and often in counties quite far away. In such cases, the men were most likely to be living at the time of Attestation in or adjacent to the county whose militia they had volunteered for.

What do these records tell you?
      The index records give the last name and first name of the militiaman, place and county of birth, and The National Archives reference.

The original Attestation Papers, copies of which you can order online, are very rich, and can tell a great deal about these men and their families. They show the following details:
      • name and number
      • birthplace (can be anywhere in the world, including America, Australia, India, New Zealand, South Africa, as well as all over the British Isles)
      • current place of residence
      • where they have lived for the previous twelve months
      • occupation
      • present employer's name
      • if an apprentice, name of master, date and place of indenture
      • marital status
      • number of children under 14 years of age
      • whether they have been in prison
      • whether they belong to the army or navy
      • whether they have served in forces and if they have any pension
      • if they were rejected for the services, on what grounds
      • number of years to serve
      • full description including marks
      • statement of services: there are questions regarding service abroad, whether wounded, special instances of gallant conduct and medals; injuries in or by Army service.
      • name and address of next of kin (In some instances show the mother, brothers and sisters and their addresses; the addresses can be world-wide.)
      The Attestation was filled in at the time of recruitment, and if a man was found to be medically unfit all his details remained on file. So even if your ancestor did not serve as a militiaman there may be something about him in these documents.

The original documents
      Click on the "thumbnails" below to view examples of original Attestation Papers, which show the kind of documents you could order.

Militia Attestation of William Byrne - WO96/1441

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Militia Attestation of Joseph Hogan - WO96/1451

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4
      © Crown copyright. Images reproduced courtesy of The National Archives.

The amount of information in the documents varies: some, such as those of William Byrne, have much information about their family on the last page (Byrne has a brother in Plymouth, England, two sisters in Chicago, and three further sisters in Queensland); others, such as those of Joseph Hogan, show no relatives but contain a wealth of other personal information.

Ordering copies of original documents online
      You can order copies online, directly from the index records and receive the copies by mail. Each copy costs £10 (approx. US$18.50 or €15). Click the "Add to Cart" button on the displayed index record to add the order to your Shopping Cart. You will be asked for a credit/debit card number and delivery details on the Checkout page.

Accessing original documents in person
      The original documents are held at The National Archives, London. The index records include the information necessary to find the original records yourself at The National Archives (see Source Records Archives).

The National Archives Reference Number identifies the class - always WO96 - and the box (the number after the slash) within which the attestation papers are stored; eg WO96/1441. The Sequence Number was generated from the order of the documents within each box at the time the index was created; the documents should all be - more or less - in alphabetical order. If the document you are looking for does not appear where you expect it, it may be because someone who accessed the documents previously has put the documents back in the wrong order. (The National Archives take a dim view of this, and prefer that even where a document is clearly out of order it be left where it is.) If you do not find them in this order, then look for them in alphabetical order or at the top of the box.

The Indexes to Militia Records were created by Jenifer Edmonds, and are made available on The Origins Network with her permission.

See also: Subscriber Searches - Militia Attestations Index
      About Militia Attestations Index (British Origins)
      Source Records Archives
      sigpic
      Say NO to violence against Women

My favourite moment was when the
      red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Going to drag this one up again lads. I am doing some family research on my great grandfather, this is brought on by the recent death of my grandmother. I know he was in the British Army and served in the Boer War and also fought on the Treaty side in the Civil War, there are medals awarded too, but these have been lost to time.

All I have is his full name and where he lived. I would like to get my hands on his records and if possible, replica medals if at all possible. So who can tell me what units were in the Kinsale area of Cork in the time of the Boer War so that I can make some start on this one.

Thanks,

Odin
        What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

What British Army unit was he in.

Comment

You should visit Charles fort in Kinsale at some stage. Quite likely he was Munster Fusiliers. The People in the museum are well informed about its history, as it was used up to the Civil war.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Mite do goldie, if I can get down that way over the summer, and Rod the unit name was not known by my dad, and he is my only real source of info now. But I would suspect he was either Munster Fusiliers(most likely) or Royal Artillery.

Comment

Originally posted by Odin_ie
                Mite do goldie, if I can get down that way over the summer, and Rod the unit name was not known by my dad, and he is my only real source of info now. But I would suspect he was either Munster Fusiliers(most likely) or Royal Artillery.
                Where did he join up.

Comment

He was from Kinsale, Co. Cork, so I am assuming in that area

Comment

Originally posted by Odin_ie
                    He was from Kinsale, Co. Cork, so I am assuming in that area
                    I just got back from there. charles fort is well worth a look. Its less than an hour away from cork on the bus and well worth a look if you can tollerate all of the tourists and most likely the worst traffic system in the country.
                    Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
                    Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
                    do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

Comment

There is a website detailing those who died in BA service back then. My mate was able to
                      tell me that a distant relative of mine is buried in a military cemetery in Alexandria.
                      I have the Soldier's Small Book for one relative, and while looking through it, found a
                      slip of paper, detailing the medals awarded posthumously to the other relative. My mate was
                      able to track his details using his army number and unit (Leinster Regiment). Will get on to him
                      and see if he still has the link to the site.
                      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Working...
                      X