Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sea survival

Hey,
    I'm in final year this year and I was thinking of going for all three cadetships next year. I was wondering, though, for the navy do you a) have to have loads of experience at sea to get
    considered and b) how good a swimmer do you have to be, and what sort of sea survival courses do you do? I can swim, but I'm wondering would I have to get into serious training to have a chance of getting a cadetship.
    Thanks a lot

You will learn all the swimming you need.

Swimming is a skill best reserved for Divers. In the event of you spending a prolongued time in the sea, an ability to swim will merely shorten your life expectancy. An ability to float however is useful.

While seafaring experience is an advantage, many cadets of recent years have no seagoing experience of any sort, apart from the odd ferry to the UK or France.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Thanks indeed Goldie fish,
      very quick reply!

Comment

suggest you don't apply for all three cadetships, if I was on the board I would rule you out straight away for this because it says to me - he hasn't a clue and could turn around in a months time and decide he wants to be an archaeologist.

Ask yourself what do you want to be. Spend some more time finding out what you will be if you get an executive cadetship to the NS v's Army V's (Whatever the Aer Corps do)
        No Beast so fell that knows no pity,
        No Beast am I, For I know no pity...

Comment

Swimming and sea survival are two different areas.
          Chances are if you end up in the water for any prolonged amount of time you will die from hypothermia...or exhaustion from trying to swim.

Being a strong swimmer is an advantage but given the amount of time spent in the water versus temperatures sea survival skills are far more important.

Survival is based on conditions and sea state, temperature of the water,and aids to survival.

The basic ability to tread water...is the only real requiremnet under adverse conditions...but its nice to have the swimming option.

As for divers..yeah being able to swim is nice...but given that you have volunteered for the course there is a statutory swimming ability..all though it has been known for a non swimmer to apply....I'm not kidding...!

that is assuming of course that one can pass the medical....and deal with all the disciplines of a Naval divers course. ( I always wondered why they ran the courses in the middle of winter) lol!
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
          X