Question about OTO Melara..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about OTO Melara..

LE Roisin was tied up in Cobh over the weekend,and while taking my usual photos I noticed,rather strangely,that the barrel of the Main gun had a black plastic sack sellotaped around the muzzle.

Does this improve accuracy?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

I'm no navel expert but they might just be trying to protect it from rust, the muzzel is where you will find rust on the AML 90 if it has done a lot of firing. Or it could be a new top secret plactic bag based weapon system.

By the way like the new Naval Skin

Comment

Where did the Navy find the 15c for the bag.... Glad to see the cut back are over!!

Comment

Hey..I'll have you know it was one of those jumbo refuse sacks..not just any old tesco bag..

Comment

They could have at least used two.
          "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

I knew I heard about this....

Re-Investment Programme Continues

As promised by the Minister for Defence Mr Michael Smith TD, investment in the Defence Forces is ongoing. In the last two months the minister has signed contracts with Multi-Pak USA, Inc. for the supply of eight advanced jumbopolyethylene refuse sacks and options on a further eight.

Delivery of the advanced jumbo refuse sacks commence in March 2003 and will be completed by September of the same year. The Minister said that the contract was another significant boost for the Defence Forces and a further indicator of his commitment to ensuring that Defence Forces personnel are fully equipped with modern equipment which will enhance their ability to carry out their various roles.

Comment

Do they have options on carrier bags also? Could save a fortune,instead of kitbags,and if you fall overboard,you can tie a knot in them and use them as floats..

Better again,think of the savings on raingear..just make a hole in the base and it becomes a coverall!

Comment

hey you'll need a 154 to use your plastic bag

Comment

roisin had problem with her oto melara on the last patrol, what exactly im not sure
                  they probably lost the cover that goes over the muzzle.

if anyones around cobh, emer is in drydock. its interesting to see her out of the water.

Comment

I'll be visiting there so.. Already have some nice shots of Eithne getting her bottom cleaned! The dockyard lads are pretty good about people taking photos,as long as you do not take unnecessary risks naturally(Like standing under the hull and seeing if you can push the ship off the blocks.. 8)

Comment

Where exactly is the dockyard, is it in cobh or on Haulbowline?? I'd like to go take a look at her.
                      There is no problem that cannot be fixed with high explosive.

Comment

Cork Dockyard,Cobh,Formerly Verolme(dont go ruining it for the rest of us like...)
                        You cant miss it..big dockyard cranes..ships...water..

Comment

Anyway..Been to the dockyard,watching the people there removing Emers Prop in the morning sunshine.(she wont be leaving there in a hurry).Anchors are also out,and a nice shiny batch of sacrificial anodes await installation. It is surprising to see the many modifications that have been made to her over the years. The most recent appears to be the relocation of the Boarding RIB to the Main deck. Many years left there yet.

Comment

Emer is on her last legs....The best ...but has to go.Only the paint I put on her is keeping her together lay her up please make her a museum.She is called after my cousin.....seriuously ...my uncle Lt Cdr J Doyle was executive officer I/C naval depot at the time of her comission and the wagon was named after his daugther.

this wagon...not my cousin..is beyond her use by date but please retain her as a training vessel for asm or a naval museum ...the ships crews of the 70's 80'sand 90s deserve such a tribute seeing as they have the highest profile of all ships crews of the INS.
                            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Right there...She is a better example of the class than P20 Deirdre. The amount of mods though,since she was first built is unbelievable.I doubt there is any original panel aboard. The funell mast was clipped,the antennae have been moved upgraded and replaced,the bridge was gutted,portholes welded over on the hull,new 20mm guns,gravity davits replaced ,then removed along with the boats. Geminis gone,alog with the crane on the stern..
                              And dont forget the chunk Jockey took out of the bow when he (allegedly) slammed her into the Toll Bridge. She was the first ship to do the Resupply trip to leb also,but to be fair,her hull looks less battered than that of Eithne.
                              The new Nautical college in cork will require a new traiing ship when it is built adjacent to the Naval base. It would be fitting to have a training ship more modern than the current training ship of 1950s vintage,Cill Airne.(which ironically is run and maintained by former NS men.)

Comment

Working...
                              X