Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saluting The Flag.

Greetings.

The Orderly Officer raises and lowers The Flag with the assistance of the B.O.S.

The Orderly Officer salutes, does the B.O.S.?

(If you know the answer please state where you have gleaned this information from)

Regards etc.:flagwave:

i concur captain was on guard one time and had to go out with the flag to the orderly officer, and i had to salute. the guard turns out for it as well i think

Comment

Thank you.

Regards etc.

Comment

i think it is the officer that only salutes? I will go and check it out.
        I was at a commsining once and the officers were the only ones to salute when the flag was brought in, and a interesting point the new officers didn't salute because they were not officers but did salute when the flag was beening brought out.
        I don't think the BOS salutes, I know in my barracks he doesn't, some barracks turn out the guard, but they don't salute they present arms!

Will go away and look up

Comment

I wonder is it the same as when you are standing in a group in a room or something and an officer comes in. I was told that only the person with the senior rank salutes the officer.

I was in the target shed in the Butts in Finner last year with some other people and the highest ranked person was a corporal. We were just taking it handy getting out of the near sandstorm outside when 5 officers came in - 1 Lt. Col, 2 Cmndts, 1 Capt. and an Lt! We didn't know who to salute or what to do! In the end the Cpl saluted and the Lt. Col just started chatting and having the craic...the usual "how is your camp? How long have you been in the FCA?...." etc.

After that I was told that the senior rank in the group salutes the senior rank in the other group....is this right? If so, maybe it is the same for The Flag.....everyone else stands to attention and the senior rank salutes it?

I dont know if thats right or not, just something I heard!

Comment

think your right there ICUN i remember an officer coming into a room to us one night, we jumped to attention and the most senior rank in the room gave the salute. In saying that i was at the western command shoot last week and me and a cpl were walking down to the range when we met two lt col's so we both saluted and walked on. in saying that one of or sergeants got saluted by a PA!!! and the PA was a sgt as well, apparently she didnt see the rank marking, and cos he has a brass cap badge she saluted him. talk about bursting our holes laughing at the poor woman!

Comment

the orderly officer is the only one to salute the flag the BOS stands at attention: this was how i was instructed by a BTC CS with regard to the flag duties of an orderly officer. He said he had seen NCOs doing it in the past but that it was incorrect. An NCO will salute the flag if he is in charge of a body of men when the flag is being raised or lowered. i.e. he brings them to attention and he salutes.

Comment

With respect rebel Reservist, I have heard from several usually reliable sources " Only the officer salutes".

From several other usually reliable resources " The officer & the bos salute"

I know of a sergeant, bos , who when The Flag was raised, saluted with the officer and was told that this was incorrect.

Two days later same sergeant different officer(different unit),sergeant didnt salute & guess what?

Regards etc.

Comment

The Orderly officer is Technically in Command of the Barracks so he salutes the Flag. (as senior rank) I've never seen anyone else salute the flag. All troops who can see the Flag are brought to attention while it is being lowered. No NCO salutes the O/O takes the salute for the camp!

Friends Come and Go, but Enemies accumulate!!

Comment

The BOS salutes the flag as well as the OO, at least that's the practice in the 12th bn. Anybody present at the raising and lowering of the flag should salute also unless they are under command at the time, for instance a platoon at drill under an NCO. In this instance the NCO brings the platoon to attention facing the flag and he alone salutes.

As always there probably isn't a hard and fast rule so custom and practice is the order of the day.
                    sigpic
                    Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
                    My favourite moment was when the
                    Originally posted by hedgehog
                    red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

I will have a look at GRO and A manuals tonight if I remember but Kermit's link is prob. OK
                      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Flag protocol.

I go by McKee Barracks most mornings on the bus and I have noticed that any time I have to be in work for 9 or earlier, i.e. going by the barracks between 7.45 and 8.30, the tricolour is not flying even when its bright out.
                        My understanding of traditional military protocol was that the flag would be raised at first light and lowered at last sight.

Can anyones shed any light on this for me or correct me if I'm wrong please?
                        courage, endurance, mateship and sacrifice

Comment

Winter time applicable up to may 1st...I think..means the flag is only flown at 0900 to 1600.

Winter time 1st October onwards

Summer time is from 0800 to sunset.....as published..and not set time.

Answer your question?
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by womble
                            I go by McKee Barracks most mornings on the bus and I have noticed that any time I have to be in work for 9 or earlier, i.e. going by the barracks between 7.45 and 8.30, the tricolour is not flying even when its bright out.
                            My understanding of traditional military protocol was that the flag would be raised at first light and lowered at last sight.

Can anyones shed any light on this for me or correct me if I'm wrong please?
                            From the Dept of the Taoiseach - The official word on the National Flag

15 The National Flag should be displayed in the open only between sunrise and sunset, except on the occasion of public meetings, processions, or funerals, when it may be displayed for the duration of such functions.

Note: For military purposes, sunrise and sunset are deemed to be:

Sunrise:
                            March to October 08:00 Hours
                            November to February 08:30 Hours

Sunset:
                            January and December 15:30 Hours
                            February and November 16:30 Hours
                            March and October 17:30 Hours
                            April 18:00 Hours
                            May and September 19:00 Hours
                            June to August 20:00 Hours

Comment

Right Trellheim that should be enough time, or are the manuals really that intensive.......

Comment

Working...
                              X