Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with Fitness!!

Hi all

Just wanted to find out what you all think about the general standard of fitness in the reserve.

My opinion is that because we can't run PT lessons without a PT instructor there is a serious lack of fit troops in most of the units. This plays a major role in disrupting training, because you can't depend on troops looking after their own fitness levels.

What do other units do to counteract this problem???

All the best

Eldavido

It is time for troops to take ownership of their own fitness. The unit can provide the assessment process, the encouragement, incentive and even some advice on the best way to achieve it. But the individual must commit to the task. The introduction of fitness assessements which have an impact on courses and promotion (and that is only a matter of time) will provide an incentive (stick type of approach).

Comment

The idea of having to have a certain fitness level before being promoted is appealing!

Comment

I would also agree that fitness should be part of the promotion program. In the PNCO`s course in the south (not sure one this 1 ) and the Pot Officers course (its a requirment) it is required to pass a Pysical test.
        Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
        http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Comment

This year's standards had one. I know most other courses are following suit but there's nothing really for Privates to motivate themselves for. Unless they can't bear to fall behind on a route march or section in attack etc.

Embarassment is the only motivational factor for troops these days.

Comment

Lead by example

Comment

thorpe there are 3 pots courses on in the south this year.....which one is requiring the passing of a fitness test?

and as someone who has completed the pot officers course and who knows people on the courses for the past few years, i do not know of any potential officers course having a pass/fail fitness test.

while some courses have done the fitness tests it was basically for fun and a personal guage.....nobody was sent packing as a result of failing and the results werent recorded...

Comment

It is only a matter of time

Comment

the sooner the better,anyway. what use is an unfit soldier? none.

Comment

The course in Tralee is the one that requires the fitness test, so if you are on it hit the country roads and build up the fitness, I have & Im dying:( :(
                    Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
                    http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Comment

The Standards course ran by the 2nd Eastern Brigade required a fitness of at least grade 4 to optain SGT's stripes this year. I think next years pNCO's course will follow suit.

Comment

How close or far away are we from having a Rerserve PT instructor course? I know that having a Civvie PT instructor cert is not worth the paper it's printed on when the army is concerned.

Pity that really.

Comment

Last years and this years E Bde PNCO cse had a fitness test with a minimum of Grade 4 to get on the cse.

Comment

What are all the grades?

How fit is a Grade four soldier?

Comment

Minimum fitness (but still fitter than the average person)

Comment

Working...
                              X