Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Panhards: Still rolling after all these years.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panhards: Still rolling after all these years.

Originally posted by Goldie fish
    Ah now the Panhards are still operational(some 1964 Vintage)...and will be kept in spares for another 2 years at least....
    Thats two years to make a decision.
    Those 65 Armoured vehicles that were supposed to be the LTAV are still required by the way. Nothing changed in the meantime.

Sorry for being off topic here but, is there any plan to replace the Panhards, as in an actual tank, not an APC with a large turret.

Panhards at rehersal for easter parade
    Attached Files
    What is you major malfunction numbnuts!
    Didn't mommy and daddy show you enough attention when you were a child?!

The last words of Sgt. Hartman

Full Metal Jacket

Nice to see the PDF 'dipping in to reserves' The AML 90 pictured is belonged to 31 REs Cav in clonmel. ARI 238 being the registation....note the old style FCA decal on the back.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by Harmon Rabb
      Nice to see the PDF 'dipping in to reserves' The AML 90 pictured is belonged to 31 REs Cav in clonmel. ARI 238 being the registation....note the old style FCA decal on the back.

I'm sorry i didn't get more pictures of them, was a kinda last minute thing, instaed of the PDF Mowags we had nissans...hopefully they'll be there on the day
      What is you major malfunction numbnuts!
      Didn't mommy and daddy show you enough attention when you were a child?!

The last words of Sgt. Hartman

Full Metal Jacket

Comment

Whatever about the Scorpion not being a tank, the Panhard is definitely not a tank.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Harmon
          note the old style FCA decal on the back.
          I might be going daft, but what's FCA about it? Was not the orange background standard for all units of Southern Command, FCA and PDF?

NTM
          Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

Originally posted by Infantry Sandbag
            I'm sorry i didn't get more pictures of them, was a kinda last minute thing, instaed of the PDF Mowags we had nissans...hopefully they'll be there on the day
            Don't forget that the Nissans had a very Important sign on them saying "MOWAG".

The Vehicle plates have changed recently. The one in the Photo has the 3 Cav Plate on the rear. 3 Cav is no more.

The Plate, as seen below has "3 Cav Sqn FCA". Old.
            New "31 Res Cav sqn" plates are very different.(and rare)
            Attached Files

Comment

how many of those Panhards do we have?? and what role do they play? or redirect me before i start getting ear loads about previous threads.....

thanks

Comment

Post Conversion there was 16 AML20 and 19 AML90.

Comment

Pre conversion?!?
                  What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

I seem to recall there were two panhards in the 5th batt collins bks .They were parked on the square for years and ocassionlly taken out for a spin.I wonder if they are the two now at the same location.?
                    Attached Files

Comment

They are APCs M3VTTs as oposed to AMLs which are AFVs and not APCs. Orginally there were 32 AML 60s both HB and CS cars purchased in 1963 up to 1972..there were twenty AML 90s one was lost in a fire in lebanon.

Half the AML 60 fleet ...CS cars were converted to carry a .5 manroy HMG..the rest remained as mortart cars. The best of both were then reselected for diesel conversion and re eqipping with a 20mm turret. the remainder bar two were scrapped.The .5 conversion was a little cramped as the gun was poorly positioned in the turret.

The 60/20s were reassigned to the PDF units and the RDF squadrons recieved one AML 90 in their place. 3Cav had a CS and a HB 60 car..one NZH 13 went to the howth transport museum..the other a ZE car ended up in the scrap yard.

31 reserves current car is ARI 238 which was the original Depot cav training AML so is in good nick but was never fitted with a radio. She was also one of the first for diesel conversion.

She wears the 3 cav decal on the left hand rear wheel arch which itself has recieved a few knocks.The turrret baskets and night sights and laser range finder were also fitted post conversion.

Just to clarify HB is Hotchkiss Brandt breech loading mortar...CS is Cloche Special mortar which were with drawn due to ammunition problems...anyway its all available in Karl Martins Book on Irish Army Vehicles.
                      Last edited by hptmurphy; 21 March 2006, 14:16.
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I think you'll find it was 32 AML 60s, 16 of each, there was also 61 M3s delivered.

IAS

Comment

All the talk of 60s ,20s 90s,.5s M3s...there was sure to be a typo some where.

Comment

For ease of identification..

Hopefully these will work. Photos(some taken by IMO members, of IMO members) from

Panhard M3 VTT Armoured Personnel carrier.

Panhard AML 60. However, in photo one, the 60mm mortar has been replaced with a Manroy .5 QCB
                            Photo 2 has the same car as its seen today, fitted with a 20mm cannon.

Comment

Two different cars one is NZH 7..the other is NZH 9 which is interesting...because 13 was a HB60mm car which remains unconverted...given that most of theNZH fleet were either HB cars or unconverted. So the registration policy of Dublin Co. Co remains a mystery.

Back to Cal tanks point...look at the decal on this AML20..its 1 cav...now note why 3 Cavs decal had to be radically different given that both units operated from the same camp....albeit one troop of 3 cav!

Sorry!.. to the unfamiliar...to the Cav...any thing that is not a truck is a CAR..armoured, soft skinned still a car....

Comment

Working...
                              X