Reserve Rank Markings and Insignia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reserve Rank Markings and Insignia

A Question for all you Sluggies out there....

Do the SM still use the Blue RM's on their new style Uniform (the one like the DPM's we have??) or do they use the gold woven slider as in the NS. Do officers wear slider rank markings?? (I've never seen the Officers Ranks in Slider form) can anyone help???

Goldie? Poisedon??
    Friends Come and Go, but Enemies accumulate!!

I'll leave this one to posiedon..he knows more about this sort of thing....I usually look down when I see rank cap badges approaching..just in case..

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I know these new uniforms have made officer dodging an artform, The Glengarry has become almost defunct in the FCA and the Peaked Cap in the Barracks seems to be a thing of the Past now. Ah gone be the days when the officers always wore number 2's and could be seen from the far end of the square.

Comment

Gold slider markings are now on issue, the blue were identical to the gold in all but colour, Officers sliders were always gold and remain so. Much consternation is caused by saluting CPO's who from a distance look like Lt/Cdr's.

I was at the All Army shoot Last year in Finner wearing the new Black Combats, blue rank markings (PO) and black beret and it took three hours for the word to get around to stop saluting me. It's going to be even worse when we go to gold.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to run through the NS rank markings with the FCA recruits !!!

Comment

They see the scrambled egg on the cap and assume officer. It is funny to see even CS and above hesitating,squinting their eyes to decide whether or not to salute an approaching PO.
          I know certain Infantry units have taken to keeping the rankk markings of the NS inside the door of their HQ so they can check as a possible officer approaches..just in case.
          Then again..how often have the people in DPM saluted the major?

Comment

The reason I'm asking is because I'm compiling the ranks for a Website and wanted to know the current regs on the Issue. I like the Idea of the Woven RM's though the Quality compared to the Army subdued RM's is unbelievable. Yes I've often seen higher ranks than recruit saluting the BQ, nevermind the Major, who just salutes back leaving the sod to wonder why the guy he saluted can't stop laughing!! I've even seen an FCA SgT asking an O/S how long he has left in the Cadet school!!!!

Although saying that the ranks on military.ie are out of date!!

Now do the officers Sliders (I assume they're chest sliders and not shoulder) do they have the gold stars on them??

Are the SM already using the Gold Sliders or is it just one of the "new reserve" propaganda tricks (I personally think the Blue RM's look better on the Black Combats.

Last edited by Bailer; 13 January 2003, 17:19.

Comment

Officers sliders do have stars on them because they are the very same sliders that go on the working rig shirt or blue jumper.

Comment

glengarrys are not obselete.they should never have been given to gravel agitator officers in the first place.Get your own head gear wankers.
                Yeah I'm pissed off being saluted by muppets as well.
                Should have no difficulties discerning between naval senior ranks and officers.The officers gear is always immaculate as they do **** all.Why do the navy wear black combats.....night club camoflage.....let me see.the sea is blue..... ships are grey....sand is brown and grass is green......where are you working....a ****ing coal yard?Black combats what the **** unit are you in ...the SS........Stokers to be revived standard issue a Number 10 coal shovel and ahump on your back......cmon get with the programme.
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

It was before they came up with the idea of DPM...if you get all the dyes together.....
                  Blue+grey+brown+green=Dirty Black.
                  Of course the engineers used to wear white overalls..just to prove they were working..
                  My guess is that its easier to hide in a ship with the lights off when you are wearing black..
                  I saw a US marine once on Inchon cammoed up for duty aboard ship..the silliest thing ever...Loads of grey pattern on his face and combats..like the ones the shams wear .."Urban Camo" they call it..
                  Oh look there is a big lump of grey walking along the deck..wonder what it is?:confused:

Anyone seen Posiedon? Surely he should have jumped in with some opinion by now...or is it neptune in disguise? Neptune/Posiedon..both gods of the sea..:confused:

Comment

No, Neptune is not Poisedon, but I have a fair idea who he is and he might have a fair idea who I am.

The new combats are dark dark navy, such that they appear to be black.

Comment

I wasn't talking about the Cav Murph I was talking about officers Glengarry's (you know witht a big F off GREEN ribbon) I was just saying that they're not seen much around lately. I dont see many cav as there are none in our Barracks, and I steer well clear of the Bruagh (Bad memories oh the bad memories) The Naval Combats dont look that bad actually. And youre right Officers should have peaked Caps instead of robbing the Cav of their beloved headgear!!! which belongs more in a pipeband than on a soldier!

Comment

I dont know why they went blue first day But I heard that Senior NCOs in the base felt they were losing status when they lost the gold braid..cloth being that which a seaman wears.
                        They kicked up a fuss,Rightly so,as there was no real reason for subdued rank markings aboard ship really,and got back the Gold Braid.
                        An Slua Muiri then got the Blue sliders,and were happy for them..that or nothing! Its a bit obvious in this ever integrating RDF though when the reservists rank marking cost less to produce than that of his Permanent counterpart.

BTW..Does this interest in Rankmarkings indicate that you intend posting them as avatars? I saw something similar on PPRUNE board..looks nice too...

Comment

Hi Goldie as you will see from my long under construction unit website the Roll over RM's thingy, well I may be doing that for A.N. Other website I'm working on. For the SM and the FCA. I'll do them as avatars if you want, I mean how hard is that 1 red stripe for you going to be :p

No seriously I have them done already just wanted to Check the NS subdued ones but they're not really "Subdued" are they? Might just do a gold effect for the Dress RM's. I dont really see the Point in using Gold RM's on a Combat/working uniform. The NS get to wear the Good stuff more often than the Army.

For Anybody interested in Insignia Heraldry, and Etc. The US are a bit obsesses with it... but at least they have it all documented.

Last edited by Bailer; 15 January 2003, 12:43.

Comment

Working...
                          X