More Eithne Upgrades.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Eithne Upgrades.

Latest news from the Naval base is that the Signaal DA05 Air/Surface search radar is off and out for upgrade. The system itself is of an earlier generation Radar, that required Green CRT tubes that could only be viewed in a darkened room or under a hood.

I am unsure what is going there in its place.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Antennae is being upgraded, as well as associated electronics downstairs to current generation. It seems the system provides an excellent ATC function should for any reason the civvy system go down, or so I hear.

Comment

Return of the AC to Eithne's deck????

Comment

Originally posted by DeV
        the A-139 would be too big right?....maybe the EC-135?:confused:
        Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

Originally posted by DeV
          Not yet. This upgrade should be thought of more like having a Flycatcher that you can anchor off the coast.

Comment

Is the upgrade of the DAO5 SSR compatible..All civil atc untils work on Secondary Surveliance radar as opposed to a primary..let me explain..

Radar aquires a target which is present because of its physical presence. To diffentiate between the bad guys and the good guys..IFF (identifcation friend or foe) was fitted ,

To take this a stage further SSR dosn't use the primary net work but each aircraft operating within an Control are is issue with a squawk number which is activated as the Aircraft enters into the control level. This allows an aircraft to be individually identified on the screen while moving through the CTR,

Is the DAO5 ..approach control only..as in specifical able to deal with aircraft in its own CTR..or is it compatible with SSR?

Just a question I raise because of Goldies insistance that the upgrade will allow the ship to work as a back up for a civilian radar system.
            Last edited by hptmurphy; 12 July 2006, 10:35.
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I Insisted nothing...

Comment

Ok mentioned then.....
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

The DAO5 is a proper naval air search radar, i.e. primary radar. It was installed to enable better air operations with patrol aircraft and helicopters, especially at longer ranges, before GPS, etc. I imagine one of the surface search radars doubled as an approach radar for helicopter landings. There is or was IFF available, but I don't know to what standard.

There is an article about it in the issue of the Engineer's Journal (www.iei.ie) that did a special on the Eithne, circa 1984.

ATC in Ireland uses both primary and secondary radar. While Eithne could do some ATC, don't think of it as a replacement. I imagine fitting something like 80 operators around the one(?) screen might be 'crowded'.

Nothing in this post is or was confidential.
                  Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

Working...
                  X