Irish on the Somme.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish on the Somme.

The 1st July marks the 90th Anniversary of the Battle of the Somme. This was one of the bloodiest battle of WW1 and involved many thousands of Irishmen. What are your thoughts on the matter.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5126128.stm

Changed times
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0630/somme.html
    Last edited by rod and serpent; 30 June 2006, 23:13.

Grand uncle was gassed in the Somme.

Comment

Hi all
      My granduncle is one of those who was lost on the Somme and has no known grave and is commemorated on the Thiepval memorial.I'll have to pay a visit out there some time.
      regards
      GttC

Comment

Watching sky news (uk) this afternoon ,the reporter made a reference to the royal ulster regiments and also the men of southern ireland who played a big part in the battle of the somme, as is well documented .There are only 4 living survivors of that historic time in history ,one of whom will attend the ceremony in Belgium on july 1rst .

(It must also be remembered that during and after the great war ,even up till recent times ,it was not considered popular in some circles of southern irish society to admit having a member of ones family serving in the british army .)
        #
        Last edited by haribo; 1 July 2006, 02:23.

Comment

Colonel Tim Collins did an excellent interview on the last word, Today fm, on this, he also mentioned he's going to write a book on the Irish regiment's, just thought I'd let people know
          Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

Originally posted by mutter nutter
            Colonel Tim Collins did an excellent interview on the last word, Today fm, on this, he also mentioned he's going to write a book on the Irish regiment's, just thought I'd let people know
            The book should be interesting.

Comment

Working...
            X