Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did world war 2 become a world war.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did world war 2 become a world war.

Pearl Harbour...imagine being the victim of a surprise attack two years into a global war
    In 1939 (the commonly held starting point)
    65.63%
    The attack on Pearl harbour
    28.13%
    Invasion of Russia
    6.25%
    The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.
    (George Bernard Shaw, Playwright, 1856 - 1950)

Originally posted by WES
    Pearl Harbour...imagine being the victim of a surprise attack two years into a global war
    It wasn't global until PH.
    "Hello, Good Evening and Bollocks..."

Roger Mellie

Comment

Originally posted by combatlogo
      It wasn't global until PH.
      That's right. The fighting was confined to Poland, Belgium, France, Holland, Denmark, Norway, the Balkans, Russia, North Africa, the North Atlantic and the skies and cities of Britain and Germany. A one hour attack on Honolulu gave the war the international touch.
      sigpic
      Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
      My favourite moment was when the
      Originally posted by hedgehog
      red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Nice joke CL
        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by Groundhog
          That's right. The fighting was confined to Poland, Belgium, France, Holland, Denmark, Norway, the Balkans, Russia, North Africa, the North Atlantic and the skies and cities of Britain and Germany. A one hour attack on Honolulu gave the war the international touch.
          Not to forget the fact that Commonwealth forces were fighting the Japanese
          in the Far East at the time...
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver
            Not to forget the fact that Commonwealth forces were fighting the Japanese
            in the Far East at the time...
            eh... no they weren't (Except the Chinese). Commonwealth countries didn't start fighting the Japanese till Dec 7..... the Japanese attacked several targets and countries either on Dec 7 or a few days after. They were fighting the Germans but not the Japanese.

Comment

Originally posted by Groundhog

Europe/the Med isn't "global".
              "Hello, Good Evening and Bollocks..."

Roger Mellie

Comment

When did world war 2 become a world war.

A discussion that grew up in the thread "the wind that shakes the barely" caught my attention and given the fact that it was completely unrelated to the thread topic I thought I would make a new thread all about it and just for added amusement it's a poll as well. The fact is that some folks around here obviously doubt that world war 2 was a world war before pearl harbour, as is obvious from my tone I dispute what I see as a ridiculous idea. However that is entirely IMO and as open as a harlots legs to dispute an conjecture. So I say shall we have a nice civilised debate over the matter.
                Its a victimless crime, like punching someone in the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by G-2
                  A discussion that grew up in the thread "the wind that shakes the barely" caught my attention and given the fact that it was completely unrelated to the thread topic I thought I would make a new thread all about it and just for added amusement it's a poll as well.
                  Oh no you don't....

I've merged the threads instead....same thing
                  And I editted the poll.
                  Last edited by Docman; 4 July 2006, 23:58.

Comment

First off Combatlogo has you on a technicality it wasn't global (strictly dictionary definition speaking)

What dictionary is this G-2
                    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by combatlogo
                      Europe/the Med isn't "global".
                      And neither is "all the world except North America"? :confused:

Comment

well it could be argued that the sinking of merchant ships by u boats in american territorial waters almost from the outbreak of the war meant that the conflict was being fought beyond europe before pearl harbour and dont forget that as early as 1937 japan and china were at war .

plus japan began over running french indo china in nov 1940
                        Anyone need a spleen ?

Comment

I was of the opinion that WW2 began when Germany invaded Poland in 1939 although the Japs had being running amock in china before then.

Comment

Some say that the “fighting war” as such can be dated back to the large scale Japanese invasion of China in 1937. (in September 1931 the Japanese has also took advantage of confusion in China to invade and occupy Manchuria, setting up a puppet state with the last Chinese emperor, Puyi, as the symbolic head)
                            This war was largely ignored by the West, although International involvement in this war is well documented, e.g. American Volunteer Group (Flying Tigers), etc...

During this period Western Forces were also stationed in China, predominately in and around Shanghai where there was an International and French Settlement. These troops were stationed there to protect their country’s interests in the Region, thus Britain, US, and France among others, which also included Germany and Italy, all had troops in the region.
                            Also Germany is known to have supplied the Japanese with weapons, intelligence and training at this time.
                            This means that the belligerent Nations of what was to become World War II had all eyeballed each other already in China.

Also at this time the Spanish Civil War was waging, July 1936 to April 1939, and it is well know that both Germany and Italy used this opportunity on their doorstep to “blood” their troops and to perfect their tactics. The Germans sent the Condor Legions and the Italians the Corpo Truppe Volontarie, additionally there were also the famed International brigades (among which was General Eoin O’Duffy and the Blue Shirts who fought with the Nationalists) Thus between the official ending of the Spanish Civil War in April 1939 and the European regarded starting of the WWII in September 1939, there was only a period 6 Months!!

Another interesting aside is that the American Military claim that in Pearl Harbor, they have the start and finish of WWII, with the USS Missouri (on which the Japanese formally surrendered) moored beside the USS Arizona (which despite the fact that it is sunk is still listed as an active vessel), remembering that the US was not officially in the war until December 7, 1941, until September 2, 1945.

USS Missouri (background) & the USS Arizona (foreground) in Pearl Harbor

Hence if you consider the following:
                            A Chinese person could say the war started in 1937.
                            A European would say it started on 1 Sept 1939, with the invasion of Poland.
                            An American would say that American involvement did not officially start until December 7, 1941 and up till then it was regarded as a European War.
                            "Dwight D. Eisenhower: The best morale exists when you never hear the word mentioned. When you hear it it's usually lousy.

Comment

World War 2 ??? Shure weren't the Irish neutral, boy? That means there was no such thing !!!
                              No-one, I think, is in my tree...

Comment

Working...
                              X