new DURO for EOD-Bomb Disposal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new DURO for EOD-Bomb Disposal

Hey i noticed no one mentioned the article in the Indo the last few days about EOD getting 6 new DURO's from Switzerland, 3 of which will be armoured.
    what gives ? any pictures of what it will look like for us?
    also, any news on the new MOWAG's , when they'll be in service etc. , or any pre-production pics????
    cheers,
    Coxy.

Irish Department of Defence (DoD) and General Dynamics Mowag GmbH signed a EUR 30 million contract for 15 Piranha III-H 8×8 armored vehicles, with a total value of EUR 36.5 million including VAT. The Piranha III 8×8 is a very close relative of the USA's Stryker/ LAV III, and it beat Steyr's Pandur II in the run-off competition. Ireland had originally planned to order 80 vehicles, but later cut the second batch of 40 to 25. This procurement restores the planned numbers, and adds two new variants to the Oglaigh na hEireann. Production will take place at Mowag's facility in Kreuzlingen, and deliveries will start in February 2007. Payments under the contract will extend from December 2005 to January 2008.

This order includes 9 infantry carrier vehicles. They will be equipped with the same 12.7 mm Kongsberg Remote Weapon Station that is standard issue on the USA's LAV III M1126 Stryker ICV, whose Iraq experiences were recently covered by DID. Another 6 vehicles will be fitted as infantry fighting vehicles, with a stabilized Oto Melara turret and 30 mm autocannon for heavier firepower on the move. These Piranha IIIs are intended to enhance the ability of Ireland to participate in international operations, and reflect the growing understanding that such forces need increased protection against mines and ballistic weapons. The Minister of Defence has stated that they will be used mainly in the Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance roles on overseas missions.

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love."

Marcus Aurelius Roman Emperor (161 to 180 A.D.)

Comment

The Duro has been in service for some time now, and was seen at the Easter Parade.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
        The Duro has been in service for some time now, and was seen at the Easter Parade.
        yeah I saw those in the Curragh last year, maybe they are getting more?..
        Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

new DURO's ?

ok, so if they have been in operations for some time does that mean that article on the 6 for EOD, is way behind,and EOD have them already , or does it mean a seperate section of the army ( engineers ,signals, artillery etc.) have them, liked them so much that the EOD fellas said 'right , we've tried the other Corps DURO's , like them, we'll have 6 of our own, 3 armoured please ' ? or am i , like the article, behid the news ?

Comment

sorry,its a little blured..I took this at the Easter Parade.

[img=http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/1248/picture107vm3.th.jpg]
            Last edited by Craghopper; 16 July 2006, 18:31.

Comment

I can only assume its a rehash of old news.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

We had one on the range with us on camp, it was definately EOD running it, Impressive looking machine.
                Blog

WHAT FLIES DIES

Comment

The armourers had one on the range for last years All Army.

Comment

Here's a pic
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by ackack; 18 July 2006, 22:11.
                    Blog

WHAT FLIES DIES

Comment

There is a news in McKee that Artillery were meant to be getting one for Mobile Command Post i.e HQ/Command And Control Unit and to form part of Regimental Signal Post providing cover for adio net etc.. I know there people will probly know more bout this in and outs of Arty but it is basics to what i was told it was meant to be orderd this year but wasnt so we could possible see it coming into service in next year or so...

I n my opinion I could also could see it being likely employed in other corps such: In S&T,Medics,CIS and who knows what other areas.
                      British officer: You're seven minutes late, Mr. Collins.
                      Michael Collins: You've kept us waiting 700 years. You can have your seven minutes.

[As the British flag comes down]

Michael Collins: So that's what all the bother was about.

Comment

Presumably to replace the dinosaur that is the ACMAT.

Comment

Originally posted by Parts
                          Presumably to replace the dinosaur that is the ACMAT.
                          they still manufacture the acmat.

anyway,DURO's are supposed to be pretty good, go anywhere truck's
                          Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

The Very One! Ha. it only got a nice coat green paint this very week ya got to love french machines they go forever!
                            British officer: You're seven minutes late, Mr. Collins.
                            Michael Collins: You've kept us waiting 700 years. You can have your seven minutes.

[As the British flag comes down]

Michael Collins: So that's what all the bother was about.

Comment

The ACMAT is a deathtrap (and I'm not speaking metaphorically here, she already has accounted for one life on Irish roads).

Comment

Working...
                              X