1916 Royal Irish Regiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1916 Royal Irish Regiment

I am trying to source some information on the Royal Irish Regiment personnel who were in action in Dublin in 1916. Certainly members of the RIR were among the first to encounter the rebels in the early afternoon of Easter Monday when they engaged in close quarter fighting at the western gateway to the South Dublin Union (now St. James's Hospital). The trouble is that when I attempt to find something on the internet the searches bring back material about the modern Northern Ireland based RIR. Is anybody aware of any regimental histories or other material which would help ... to repeat RIR activity in Dublin in 1916 and especially some background on their officer casualties.

The R.Irish museum at Depot R.Irish, Ballymena should be able to help you, or put you in the right direction. Email... hqrirish@royalirishregiment.co.uk or telephone 02825661383 and ask for the museum at Depot R.Irish. I realise that the old R.Irish are not an antecedent regiment of the modern day version, but they would be the best place to start.

I have a good book.... 'The Irish Regiments 1683-1999' by R.G. Harris. Has a lengthy section on the old Royal Irish Regiment, but unfortunately no mention of them fighting in Dublin in 1916. Both Battalions seem to have been overseas at that time, I don't know but maybe those caught up in the fighting were Depot staff etc ? The book is still worth a read.

Also, the Imperial War Museum might be able to help, if you google you should find their site.

Hope this helps.
    'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

There you go

http://glosters.tripod.com/Ireland16.htm

Also the following ORs of 3rd Bn, Royal Irish Regt are listed as being KIA or DOW At Home during the Easter Rising;

9952 Cpl John Brennan, Gowran, Co. Kilkenny. KIA 24/4/1916.

9852 Pte Michael Carr, Mulhuddart, Co. Dublin. KIA 24/4/1916.

9947 Pte James Duffy, Limerick. DOW 24/4/1916.

8379 Pte Harry Phillips, Whitminster, Gloucestershire. KIA 25/4/1916.

11162 Pte Thomas Treacy, Mordike, Co. Tipperary. DOW 24/4/1916.

8419 Pte Sidney Young, Birmingham. KIA 25/4/1916.

Carr, Duffy and Treacy are buried in a collective grave in the EHB Office Grounds, Kilmainham. There are two others in the grave Pte Bentley of the Royal Irish Lancers and Pte Barnett of the Sherwood Foresters. Brennan and Young are buried in Grangegorman and Phillips in The Royal Hospital Cemetery in Kilmainham,
      Last edited by Groundhog; 26 July 2006, 18:07.
      sigpic
      Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
      My favourite moment was when the
      red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Thank you Spider and Groundhog for your replies, I appreciate the feedback.

I had come across the listing on the 'Glosters' site of the officers killed. Also as you say Spider there is a break in continuity between the old and new RIRs. What I am hoping to find is some published regimental diary, record or history of the old RIR which would give some mention of the activities in 1916.

Was there any form of report/inquiry/or coroner's hearing on the individual military deaths in the rising and their circumstances?

Thank you in anticipation.

Comment

Groundhog, just to check is the EHB office in Kilmainham the Dr Steeven's Hospital complex? I had heard about military burials there but had never had time to confirm this. Is this cemetery accessible?

Comment

Originally posted by Curragh Plains
            Groundhog, just to check is the EHB office in Kilmainham the Dr Steeven's Hospital complex? I had heard about military burials there but had never had time to confirm this. Is this cemetery accessible?
            I have no idea.

There was a two volume history of the RIR published. Vo 2 covers the period 1902-1922. Schull Books re-published it.
            sigpic
            Say NO to violence against Women

My favourite moment was when the
            red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Curragh Plains
              A full list of British casualties is given in the 1916 rebellion Handbook
              Avery good reference book first published in 1916 and republished in 1998.
              Iwill check out casualties if you like?

Comment

MooParkMan, thank you indeed for posting this suggestion. I will source this book in time and study its listings. What I am really looking for is some account from an RIR publication or other official document of its casualties in the 1916 events. Does anybody know if the official enquiry on 1916 went into any detail on the deaths or is it a general survey of the week and the lead up to it?

Thank you

Comment

Curragh Plains.
                  The following may be of some help---

Ramsay Lt. Al......................KILLED
                  Warmington Capt AE............KILLED
                  Malone,Lt G.........................WOUNDED
                  North,Sec-Lt FW...................WOUNDED

OTHER RANKS

Brennan Cpl J.......................KILLED
                  Carr M.................................KILLED
                  Cavanagh J..........................KILLED