PDA

View Full Version : The Marchettis

Stinger
22nd May 2003, 15:00
What do members of this board think shoul be done with the Marchettis when they are retired on the introduction of the PC-9. Or do you think they should be kept in service for another few years??

:flagwave:

FMolloy
22nd May 2003, 15:04
Once the PC-9 is completely introduced there will be no role for the Marchetti, so there would be no real point in keeping them. I reckon they will be sold off.

Silver
22nd May 2003, 19:30
I agree, they will probally be phased out once the PC-9's begin arriving.

Hopefully at least one will be kept for the AC Museum collection.
They have served us well !

ranger
24th May 2003, 19:30
why not hold on to the marchettis , they have lots of life left in them and are paid for
and at some time the corps might change its policy of allowing only
commisioned officiers fly. any chance of that ,i wonder ?

Silver
24th May 2003, 21:50
It's a possibility that the Marchetti's may be retained for a few years after the PC-9's arrive. I believe the Chipmunks were retained for while when the Marchetti's arrived in 1977.

However, I suspect, to streamline training, the SF260's will be withdrawn from use as early as possible.

I suppose they could be "mothballed" in case we ever need extra firepower at a future date ;)

:flagwave:

Thorpe
24th May 2003, 22:29
I saw a pair of them fly in formation this morning and on the return trip this evening and I have to admitt I liked it. That see the Air Corps down here for the day

Stinger
26th May 2003, 16:31
I recon if they're still airworthy we should keep them as long as their airworthy that is

FMolloy
26th May 2003, 16:40
Why have two seperate aircraft, requiring different spare parts, operating in the same role? They should be sold off & the money ploughed back into the Air Corp.

ranger
26th May 2003, 17:27
yea , but what are you going to get for 26 year old marchettis ? who would want to buy them ? i say keep them for as long as they are airworthy ,as enrty level basic trainers . the more aircraft the corps
has on line , the better for pride & morale of its members .:flagwave:

FMolloy
26th May 2003, 17:44
The whole idea of getting the PC-9 was to replace the Marchetti, not to add another (and frankly redundant) layer to pilot training. Operating them along-side the PC-9's would only increase the ground crew's workload. If the requirement is for only one model of trainer then that's all that should be operated. It would be a waste of scarce resources to continue to fly it.

At the moment the Marchetti's must be worth something, if the Air Corp continued to operate them beyond the introduction of the PC-9 they'd eventually be worth nothing. They'd end up being given to RTC's, set alight for firecrew training, or left to rust (perhaps one would be retained for the mythical Air Corp museum). The Air Corp might as well get what they can for them & spend the money on something worthwhile.

Silver
26th May 2003, 19:26
I recall reading (a few years ago) that there was a strong demand for secondhand Marchetti's - after all they are regarded as "the Ferrari of the skies" in aviation terms !
The article stated that £100,000 was the going rate at the time.

They should either be "mothballed" or sold asap - with at least one retained for the Museum collection (or even a future "Historic Flight").

Perhaps one could even be retained for use, at airshowshows, as a"solo display" aircraft (as is the case with the Royal Netherlands Air Force).

Silver
26th May 2003, 23:32
What was the story there, Kermit ?
Apparently two of em' spent the weekend near Kilworth for a Reserve (FCA ?) excercise.

Were they doing mock dives/attacks ?

:confused:

Farel'
27th May 2003, 01:30
I heard they were entertaining the troops at the all army.I have been told that "warplanes doing loops over kilworth.."

Thorpe
28th May 2003, 19:26
The aer corps has been carrying out raid s on the exercise troops in kilworth over past couple of days from what I could take out. with an alloutte also doing the rounds locally

Bud Fox
28th May 2003, 20:40
How about giving them to the Air Corps reserve!!!

Goldie fish
28th May 2003, 21:12
They would sell well in the civvy market,considering that they have the aerobatic qualities of faster aircraft. There is a place in the US that uses this type so rich pilots can experience the excitement of air to air combat...anyone heard of it?

Silver
28th May 2003, 22:45
Yep, know the place you're talkin' about Goldie.

It was featured on a Jeremy Clarkson show last year. Clarkson took part in a mock dogfight, during which he said
"These are actually military planes. The Irish Air Force use these as fighter aircraft"
(and he didn't sound condasending in his tone!)

I think it's called "Air Experience", or summit' like that !

Frank
28th May 2003, 22:55
Hi Guys,

The place with the Marchetti's in America is called "Air Combat USA".

www.aircombatusa.com (http://www.aircombatusa.com/)

http://www.aircombatusa.com/images/kill.jpg

Regards,

Frank.

ranger
29th May 2003, 15:25
would the going rate of 100,000 oer SF260 be for piston or turbo powered and in real terms what would you get for 700,000 ,that would equal the value of the 7 X SF 260's in their present P.M.O. condition.

Silver
29th May 2003, 18:46
The figure of £100,000 was for piston powered Marchetti's.

What I would suggest is that two Marchetti's be retained for the museum (and/or a solo display aircraft) and the rest sold - with the money raised used to formally establish the Air Corps Museum proper.
(Imagine what a Museum would do to raise the AC's profile - and morale !)

Incidentially, why doesn't the AC send a Marchetti to Salthill Air Show as a solo display aircraft (as the RAF and RNAF do) ?

It would be a great way to show the Irish public what they can do !

Goldie fish
9th February 2006, 20:13
FOR SALE

http://www.defence.ie/website.nsf/Publication+ID/977A7523DCC7AA288025710E00453BDE?editDocument

http://www.defence.ie/website.nsf/Publication+ID/91A493F52453EC3D8025710E003BD645?editDocument

http://www.defence.ie/website.nsf/Publication+ID/42201B53392DC4528025710E00473503?editDocument

http://www.defence.ie/website.nsf/Publication+ID/3264F6FB614086C48025710E004785BD?editDocument

Itchy
9th February 2006, 20:54
This is quality!!!

No. 226 Engine Time Since Overhall 1357.5 hours... Thats a lot of flight cycles.

Roughly 5000 hours Total flying time per a\c.
Manufactured 1977. Have they been in operation with the AC all that time? 28 years? If so...
Thats nearly 15 hours per month with say 7+ cadets per year... That is F-all flying training...

Goldie fish
9th February 2006, 22:33
Remember that during most of their service the Fougas were also available.