LE Niamh vist to FAR East on TV.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LE Niamh vist to FAR East on TV.

Just for those who are interested, the LE Niamh's vist to the East is featured on Out of the Blue on RTE1 at 19:00 tonight.
    "Dwight D. Eisenhower: The best morale exists when you never hear the word mentioned. When you hear it it's usually lousy.

Thanks loads there boss..I would missit,sitting here by my computer only to be told when it has finished by the oldies who were watching it all along what a good show it is!

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

saw it twas really good

i watched it and only by chance when i was flicking through the stations! looks like they had a good crack all right! are they back yet? hey does anybody know why when you sign up as a reserve youre told that you need to have a clean shave every night before you come in but one of the officers on the ship had a beard??????
      just wondering!

Comment

Boy, do I feel like a loser just seeing that it was on earlier tonight. The book out about it is pretty nice but pretty pricey too.

Comment

The trip happened last year. Extremely successful,set new milestones for the Naval service...Next stop Australia..Via Panama if I had my way....well they done Suez..Panama is the next biggie!

Anyway,they left in about february of last year,the Official DF website kept us up to date with the progress. Returned around June or July..
          Defence Forces Website is down right now so I have no details to hand..

As for the Beard..Yes of course you must arrive clean shaven,but if a 17 year old arrived up with a Mature well trimmed beard like that gentleman had(note; beard..not sham tache and chin fluff) then of course I would allow him to continue wearing it.
          The individual was either a PO or a CPO..cant remember now...either way...I wouldnt be askin him why he didnt shave..
          You are allowed to have a beard or moustache,but not grow one. The only exemption to shaving is if you have a medical condition that prohibits shaving such as skin allergy etc...this must be approved my the Medical officer. Count the Beards in the DF and you will see how often this application is approved..
          In the RDF as a rule its down to the CO,but he may not have the agreement of other officers.

It is a well known fact that many an officer in Limerick refused to march or parade in the company of another Bearded Officer.
          As a new recruit..for now I recommend that you shave.:D

Comment

Does anyone know if that programme will be repeated on RTE ?

I planned to watch it, but missed it !
            IRISH AIR CORPS - Serving the Nation.

Comment

I forgot to mention..Part 2 is on next week. Derek only managed to eat his way as far as Hong Kong..seemed to be a bit miffed at the fact that he wasnt invited to the NCOs mess to eat the fish with the FOCNS!
              It would be a good show if he didnt spend so much time stuffin his face..he is startin to turn into that Sally struthers that they take the piss out of in Southpark..
              Sadly there isnt a version of it online,as there is with newsround. I taped some of it,but it started early so I missed the first 5 minutes.

I'll be ready for em next week.....probably:(

Comment

Try www.rteguide.ie they will have the list. Yeah he seemed a Bit Miffed. It Shows the difference in the NS though the FOCNS sitting down for a Meal with LS and AS's. You'd never see an Army General Do That.
                Friends Come and Go, but Enemies accumulate!!

Comment

Last edited by posiedon; 28 January 2004, 20:27.

Comment

There are a lot of things that you should be teaching me...:D given the oportunity! If i got to see more of them I would be pretty clued up no doubt!!
                    Good to see you posting again boss..thought you had fallen of the edge of the earth for a while!
                    Your opinions are a valued contribution and an integral part of the board!

Comment

why were leading hands ( Paul Shanahan) eating in the POs mes)I see that 'spongy' dunne is still only apo seaman. !6 years later Iremember him as the Bosun on the Emer in 1986.some of the guys who went to him as O/Seas are now POs and Bosuns ..John McCormick and Brendan Madden.Gerry OFlynn as CO he couldn't keep his guts down as the nav of the Eithne in 86.How did they majke it to China.Mustf been a ****ing takeaway!
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Last edited by posiedon; 28 January 2004, 20:32.

Comment

Re the above trip. They left Cork on 12 February,2002,Stopping off at:
                          Malta,Asmara,India,Malaysia,Singapore,Hong Kong,China, Korea and Japan.
                          They returned on or about the 21st of May having completed 22,500 miles and 100 days away

The details,in the form of a diary written by many of the crew can be found Here

They got carried away on the trip tho,as the extract below reads..
                          King Neptune was now firmly in charge and immediately summoned the Captain. A distinctly worried but wisely clad captain was unceremoniously dragged in front of Neptune. Thriving in his new role, King Neptune made three demands of the Captain

A shrubbery.

A modest sum of money from a member of the crew known for his thriftiness.

The youngest male virgin as a husband for his daughter.
                          Hmm:confused:

L.E. Niamh..the N.S. Ship to "Cross the Line". And for that we are very Proud.

Comment

On further Research,the "beardy Man" on Niamh at that time was Coxswain Chief Petty Officer Martin Diggins. He shaved of the growth prior to the Crossing of the Equator.

Looking at the show again,I noticed its a load of L/S types sitting around the table with the FOCNS..eating mullet..and at the edge of the table sits an A/sea...:confused:
                            Whats going on there?
                            I dont know the arrangements on Niamh,how many Mess/wardrooms are there?
                            Last edited by Goldie fish; 17 January 2003, 20:28.

Comment

Jaysus martin Diggins got very old very fast .Iserved with him in boat transpot in the Autumn of 87 when he was a PO.Wore a cap swapped with an ensign of the USN was only a young fella then .originally from mooncoin in Co.Kilkenny .Trained his nephew as a recruit in 3 cav in 1997. delieve Martin to have lived in Grange near douglas and Drove a wine colourewd micra at the time.Who is getting older...them or me....at least I don't have a beard and grey hair ...yet....nice bloke martin.Was also on the eithnes first American trip as a PO/sea.Was a sweeper bosun prior to that
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
                              X