Army Ranger Wing proficiency....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army Ranger Wing proficiency....

People here seem to be very knowledgable on all matters military.

I need to find out as much as I can about the ARW.

- How tough is it to get in?
    - How good are they?
    - How do they recruit?
    - Who can apply?
    - What exactly are they trained to do!? (HALO, diving...etc) Depth of skill, really I guess.....

Hoping ye can help me out. Any answers or direction to where I may find answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you,

Itchy

i dont know too much about the ARW as a whole, but i know that they recruit from inside the army, they run selection courses every year. they do skydiving, advanced weapons training and all the rest..

Comment

Watch out for the next time the ARW roadshow hits your barracks. Most of their kit is on display and a ranger talks you through each stand ie "Black ops", Diving etc. Of course its all geared towards potential applicants from the PDF but should answer your questions.

Comment

Take a look at this address, it will answer some questions:
        Army Ranger Wing

Comment

ARW

Ok at the moment the WING train for 2 types of warfare theres the "Green Role" which is a origanl commando type way doing Direct Action,long range recce,sabotage, rescueing of downed pilots and P.O.W.s from behind enemy lines and countless more types of simalar missions. Then theres "Black Role" which is Counter-Terrorism and Hostage Rescue, in this role they could be rescueing a number of civvies from armed bad guys in a bus,train,building or aircraft of some kind. Also in the black role they perform close protection to V.I.P's also another mission is F.I.D or Foregin Internal Defence in which the Ranger Wing will go over to a host country and train there police or military CT/HR unit. Selection is tough i have personally talked to 1 or 2 current serving member of the unit and afew Ex-member and they all told me its tough as hell and they they said to me if ya think your tough and fit just before selection your probabaly not. it takes a lot to get a person through it takes alot of mentel and psyhical strenght. The Army Ranger Wing is opened to both men and women and the 3 branches of the Defences Forces. As for the Unit being good they are highly regarded as an exellent unit by alot of the top Spec Ops units in the world. They currently cross-train with the US Navy SEALs and the US armys elite Delta Force also Hollands BBE, German GSG-9 and KSK, Frenchs GIGN and the New Zeland and Austrailan SAS its also beleaved that they train with the British SAS and SBS, well i'm knackerd after typing this up so i'm stopping give us a shout if theres anything else you want to know ok.

Comment

One thing I want to know is do Officers do the Selection course or do they just rotate in for a spell like the SASR and feck off to some cushy job after that....

Comment

They've recently changed selection from the SAS cooper test to the JTF-2 cooper test and I beleive selection is now run twice a year
              Attached Files
              Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

Army Ranger Wing Training

Selection

The Selection Course is held annually by the ARW for potential new Unit members. It is open to serving members of the Defence Forces only
                this is from the military.ie website.

Does this mean its open to members of the RDF?? who are de facto serving members are they not?

Comment

No it's not, you must be PDF
                  Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

minimum 3*

Comment

check this thread out...

Maybe we should get our TDs to ask?!?

A Green TD [MOD: Edited to avoid libel] lives across the road from me, i must drop in for that cup of herbal tea and a guided tour of his nuclear bunker that hes been offering me....

:-patriot:
                      "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                      "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Me is now very confused ....

anyway back to topic the ARW were in an international competition there a while ago and came ... thing it was .... 4th

Very good considering the size, support, money, facilities, etc other SF units enjoy

Comment

Actually I am almost positive that it was third...even better!!!
                          If your not in bed by 4 o' clock it's time to go home!

Comment

There have been a number of articles on the ARW selection courses in An Cosantoir, including some first hand accounts from participants. These should give you some insight into the nature and content of the course.

Comment

Have the rangers ever had to use their force?

[MOD: Merge]

This came up in a very drunken discussion about the army in general at about 0530 this morning. Me and a mate were chattin the usual crap about the army and we couldnt figure out if the rangers have ever had to use their force. We know about the rescue in Liberia. In the skills test thingy they do with other units (SAS, Seals etc) they score highly i think, but have they ever had to put all these skills into use? apologies if that didnt make much sense, most of last nights drink is still in the system:D

Comment

Working...
                              X