Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army Officers

Hi All

Please excuse the ignorance but I am hoping to apply for the upcoming intake of cadets in 2009. However I was wondering what do army officers actually do on a day to day basis in the Irish Army

I'd encourage you to use the search function as there are other threads on this topic on the board.

Comment

Originally posted by Mac28 View Post
      Hi All

Please excuse the ignorance but I am hoping to apply for the upcoming intake of cadets in 2009. However I was wondering what do army officers actually do on a day to day basis in the Irish Army
      Office work. Never ending filling out of paperwork and the like mixed with occassional weapons handling and short periods of peril.
      It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

Originally posted by Mac28 View Post
        Hi All

Mate welcome aboard

Dont think its ignorance not knowing what Officers do all day

I am 27 (ish) years in and I havent a clue what they do
        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
          Mate welcome aboard

Dont think its ignorance not knowing what Officers do all day

I am 27 (ish) years in and I havent a clue what they do
          An officer with the same amount of service would prob say the same thing!
          Facts are meaningless - you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

Comment

Originally posted by Darksaga View Post
            An officer with the same amount of service would prob say the same thing!
            An Officer with the same amount of service would

probably get someone else to say it

Comment

Seriously have a look at this thread

Comment

Think line manager or department manager with all the associated logistics, welfare, financial and HR related issues and then theres the odd bit of soldiering thrown in. Man mangement being the priamry role, how to get the best from your people and look after them.
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I am reliably informed that the 2009 Cadet Competition will be advertised
                  in the Sunday papers this weekend...
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

dont bother becoming an officer join the ranks if possible and see the real army - navy-aer corp for a while.its a different world

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                      I am reliably informed that the 2009 Cadet Competition will be advertised
                      in the Sunday papers this weekend...
                      Thanks for the headsup!

Comment

Wish the ponches would start recruiting normal people. ie. general service.
                        Facts are meaningless - you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

Comment

Originally posted by Darksaga View Post
                          Wish the ponches would start recruiting normal people. ie. general service.
                          In fairness, with an embargo on, I can't understand how a Cadet intake CAN be justified,
                          but a General Service intake CAN'T. Maybe it's RACO are shouting that bit louder than
                          PDFORRA ?
                          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

After an officer gets commissioned does he/she get the choice of where they go in the DF, be it infantry, cavalry etc?

Comment

There is a form filled out with your preferences. If you score high enough in the skills suited to the corp then you'll be in with a strong chance. Otherwise, it's what the higher ups decide is best
                              "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Working...
                              X