Mid 80s Vehicle crew Uniform?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid 80s Vehicle crew Uniform?

Just wondering would anyone have a picture or a link to the type of uniform of vehicle crews being worn by the Defence forces in the mid 80s?

The ones seen in this photos,
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Scorp 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	699699Click image for larger version

Name:	Scorp 2.jpg
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	699700Click image for larger version

Name:	scrop 3.jpg
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	699701Click image for larger version

Name:	scrop 4.jpg
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	699702

Cheers!

Looks like standard uniform of the time to me

Comment

Standard OG combats with square pockets mean its pre 1986. Also the crew are wearing ties, which were part of the Combat uniform up to 1981 I think.
      The Crew helmets are the more modern Gentex type. They have changed again since but the difference is barely visible from afar. Early photos of the Scorpion in use have the crew wearing larger helmets that have the intercom inside the shell.
      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
        Standard OG combats with square pockets mean its pre 1986. Also the crew are wearing ties, which were part of the Combat uniform up to 1981 I think.
        The Crew helmets are the more modern Gentex type. They have changed again since but the difference is barely visible from afar. Early photos of the Scorpion in use have the crew wearing larger helmets that have the intercom inside the shell.
        What would be the uniform for crew from 1986 on then? and would you have a photo/name of the type of combats used?

Comment

Yep standard OG combats of that time
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by TheCount View Post
            What would be the uniform for crew from 1986 on then? and would you have a photo/name of the type of combats used?
            From 1986 on, the only change was from square chest pockets to zipped internal ones, known as "slash pockets". Unique to the Irish Defence forces, most came with a black "FF" stamp on the chest. This OG uniform remained in use until the early 2000s, when DPM was introduced.
            Worth noting that the OG square pocket combats was identical to the british army issue of the 1950s. Gradually they introduced DPM, first only to the smock, later to the entire uniform. We remained in OG throughout the troubles to avoid being confused with the British Army.
            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

From 1986 on, the only change was from square chest pockets to zipped internal ones, known as "slash pockets". Unique to the Irish Defence forces, most came with a black "FF" stamp on the chest. This OG uniform remained in use until the early 2000s, when DPM was introduced.
              Worth noting that the OG square pocket combats was identical to the british army issue of the 1950s. Gradually they introduced DPM, first only to the smock, later to the entire uniform. We remained in OG throughout the troubles to avoid being confused with the British Army.
              Never saw an FF on OG clothing apart from wet gear

Never saw a mix of DPM and OG being worn either

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                You never saw the OG wet jackets with dpm pants?
                Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

The FF stamp was on the OG and DEV you need to RTFQ, the word he used was "They" meaning BA

Comment

Probably not old enough.....

the year after the FCA were issued DPMs they became very hard to get and as a result we sent a class of recruits, a full troop on Camp to Kilkenny in freshly issued OGs.....
                    Last edited by hptmurphy; 18 July 2017, 22:26.
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Re: FF stamp on OG - yep I did. Usually saw the stamp over the left breast pocket. Seemed to stop once reservists started getting issued combats around 92 or so, for some reason.

Re: mixture of DPM/OG - I did. PDF personnel were issued with the DPM in (I think) 1998/99. First units to receive it were the outgoing UNIFIL Bn and the ARW. Reserve didn't get it until 2001
                      Last edited by Truck Driver; 18 July 2017, 22:40.
                      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Last issue of OGs I got had the FF stamped on the "inside" of the pockets. Never saw it stamped on the outside (except the wetgear) but it was usually on the inside of a pocket. I assumed it was just a "property of DF" type mark.

Comment

Perfect mate cheers, exactly the kind of info i was look for,

Quick follow up question then, what are these then? The hooded jackets in particular, is the older lad in centre just wearing the new style jacket or is it different?

Comment

Attachments not available Count, the curse of IMO strikes again

Comment

Quick follow up question then, what are these then? The hooded jackets in particular, is the older lad in centre just wearing the new style jacket or is it different?
                              Hoods were detachable and often private purchase. Three buttons on underside of collar for attachment
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
                              X