No announcement yet.

Irish Naval Mediterranean EU rescue patrols

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having been there, done that, got the t-shirt over the past 15 years, I can honestly say that the level of performance and professionalism shown by the Irish Naval Service is unmatched by navies 10 times their size. Small navies and coastguards bring with them a can-do mindset and this has been more than evident throughout all the NS deployments I have had the honour to watch and support.
    Simply put, in navy speak, BRAVO ZULU!

Comment

• Cunningham is more crack when he's on the drink.

Another lovey who wants to inflect refugees on the poorer areas. Because they wont be housed in his nice area.

Comment

• How long before it's available to us ex-islanders?

Comment

• Originally posted by sofa View Post
          Cunningham is more crack when he's on the drink.

Another lovey who wants to inflect refugees on the poorer areas. Because they wont be housed in his nice area.
          He seemed willing to accept them in his own home if required.
          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Al View Post
            I was looking at that and thinking the same thing, maybe some speakers on the ribs that play pre-recorded messages in french & arabic as the rib approaches, however having never set foot on a rib I wonder is it practical?
            How many languages are you going to stop at. Which do you play first? The refugees come from all parts of africa, and may only have a basic knowledge of either french or arabic. Affirmative Shouting and hand signals are the best tool in the situation.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmit?* View Post
              How many languages are you going to stop at. Which do you play first? The refugees come from all parts of africa, and may only have a basic knowledge of either french or arabic. Affirmative Shouting and hand signals are the best tool in the situation.
              I suppose looking at this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Africa most of north african countries speak either arabic or french, while they come from all parts most are north African
              You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

I suppose looking at this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Africa most of north african countries speak either arabic or french, while they come from all parts most are north African

My view would be ONLY one person in the RIB would give instructions by mostly hand signals that are universally understood such as STOP, SIT DOWN, LISTEN, and then converse with an available English speaker.

Comment

• Spotted an article that armed service allowance being awarded to all on Med ops.

Comment

• Originally posted by danno View Post
                    Spotted an article that armed service allowance being awarded to all on Med ops.
                    Money is nice, and it will come. I see at the EU meeting in Malta, 3rd February 2017 , that another E 200m has been agreed to deal with the ongoing refugee surges in the Mediterranean . They deem Operation Sophia as being less successful than had been planned. They would like to center the containment effort in the Libyan approaches and in Libyan holding camps, however that place is considered as an unsafe refuge. It is obvious that the fragmented Libyan authorities do not wish to accommodate Sub-Saharan populations, so some effort needs to be put in hand further South to decrease numbers traveling North. Our next concern is , will we deploy another ship to Operation Pontius and if so we must take into account that Libyan CG/Navy may be more active off the Libyan Coast if they get involved in stopping migrant smuggling, as part of an EU financed strategy.

Comment

Problem is that not all versions of Arabic are mutually understandable. But we should recruit some people from that region for this work. There are plenty of qualified people available after this influx of refugees, I am sure.

Comment

• Given that we are heading towards the end of February has there been any talk/rumour about a new deployment for this year?

Comment

• Not that I have heard, but the refugees are already washing up, dead, on the Libyan coast.
                          The bodies of 74 migrants have been recovered by the Libyan Red Crescent after washing up on the country’s northern coast near the city of Zawiya.

Comment

• Apart from the announcement of the allowance for operations, just saw on RTE that deployment will resume next month, 3 ship pattern 12 weeks a ship.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
                              Apart from the announcement of the allowance for operations, just saw on RTE that deployment will resume next month, 3 ship pattern 12 weeks a ship.
                              that will be half the fleet that have global range plus about 160 in crews and maybe a few extras. I wish them well and Bon voyage.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                                that will be half the fleet that have global range plus about 160 in crews and maybe a few extras. I wish them well and Bon voyage.
                                No question on extra's, unless the Navy have replaced the Army Medic's.

Comment

Working...
                                X