The DF on Telly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Qutties?
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

I taught it was very good but a few more episodes would give a better reflection

Comment

I thought it was a great programme- it brought back great memories and I thought the NCOs and Officer came out of it brilliantly. And its heartning to see that Screaming Jim Shit and his huggy huggy methods of training has been flushed down a shitty jacks.

However I wish it had never been filmed and I am glad its only two episodes and right smack in the middle of four major sporting occasions- the Fennely report and the poor migrants. It will hopefully be forgot by thursday at the latest.

The real fear I have is that do gooders and pricks and splitarses who havent a clue about Soldiering will rally to that prick Joe Duffy and be offended by the language and the high tempo of the training.

Do we really want to risk pricks like Duffy and the idiots who ring him having an impact on the way we train our troops.

the 1-2-3-4 I love the Cav Corp was a great chant, a great rhythm to do press ups to and a great builder of Unit pride and espirt de corp.

By the way- 1-2-3-4 disband the Cav Corp

5-6-7-8 Glengarry wearers out the gate

9-10-11-12-13- Cav overseas never leave the canteen

14-15-16-17- The wife of the president is called Sabine
        Last edited by hedgehog; 1 September 2015, 09:05.
        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Again I don't think its long enough and is possibly underdeveloped. I think there needs to be a little more explanation around how and why certain things happen.Its gritty in places, pulls very few punches and shows episodes I thought would never be seen again .....REcruit training is back to being what it always should have been... Screeeming Jim, shove yer A7 up yer arse!

I did smile with fond memories from time to time.

I think I'm actually feeling some of their pain this morning!!!
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Great stuff by Rte. Very surprised that they left most of the bawling and beasting in. Compare this to the closest most recent documentary released by the lads across the water, commando school, and it actually looks difficult as commando school focused on individual experience and removed all the shouty bits.

Looking forward to tonight's offering. However I am dreading the reaction to the cursing. I thought the army was the one at fault these days for being too PC, it turns out that Irish society has gone soft judging by the twitter reaction.

So make your expletive ridden voices heard on Twitter #recruits. Before Rte regret what they've done and we have a new no cursing rule brought in.
            "Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Comment

Had some of the ladies at work complaining about the language during last nights episode.

Again had to make it understood that this is real life and political correctness has no place in recruit training.

'Oh...I'd never let my child go through that'....was the response..

My answer 'f your child needs your permission, may be he should rethink his career path'.........
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Beasting? nah, that was soft shite.....tearing stuff out of lockers and throwing it on the floor is moronic shite and teaches nothing. It was stupid and pointless thirty years ago and is still the same. Infinitely better ways to teach people about care of uniform, cleanliness,hygiene and group living. It was ironic that the recruits rooms were spotless compared to the platoon office which was visibly scruffy..... I was watching last night in the company of a firefighter who had a few scathing things to say about the assistance being given to recruits who were struggling with the platoon running.....some of it is just bigged up for the cameras and the drama queens of the Cav, of course.

Comment

14-15-16-17- The wife of the president is called Sabine
                  Rofl ....
                  "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                    Beasting? nah, that was soft shite.....tearing stuff out of lockers and throwing it on the floor is moronic shite and teaches nothing. It was stupid and pointless thirty years ago and is still the same. Infinitely better ways to teach people about care of uniform, cleanliness,hygiene and group living. It was ironic that the recruits rooms were spotless compared to the platoon office which was visibly scruffy..... I was watching last night in the company of a firefighter who had a few scathing things to say about the assistance being given to recruits who were struggling with the platoon running.....some of it is just bigged up for the cameras and the drama queens of the Cav, of course.
                    It took me years to figure out that all the antics are not about the instructors teaching anything and that learned from in in any small was is geared at having the recruit learn for them selves and from the group.

Even if the gear is perfect in the locker, it still gets thrown out. In the initial phases is to get the recruit to believe that only what the instructor teaches is correct and any thing else is wrong, regardless of being right or wrong.

Its just pressure being applied to keep people focussed.

Our torture being kit inspections every hour on the hour threw out the night. It was never right, but it would be some one elses time tomorrow night.

99.9% of the viewing public miss the bigger picture. the detail will only come right when the instructors let it become right.

having trained recruits for maay years and being forced to use the 'softly, softly approach'.. it didn't work, the better recruits were those who 'survived' as opposed to 'gradutaed'.

Comment

The DF getting in the neck on Whine Line.
                      I'm not a number, I'm a free man.
                      Who is number 1?

Comment

Joooooe dufffffyyyyyyy is all over it now!
                        Im Ron Burgendy??

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                          I taught it was very good but a few more episodes would give a better reflection
                          I thought it was good but was certainly "edited" to maximise the F-ing and blinding.....above anything else. Hopefully tonight will give a "broader" insight into recruit training.

Comment

Oh the humanity!
                            Oh the horror!
                            Oh the indignity!
                            Oh the terrible reflection on the Defence Forces!

1 2 3 4 I Love the Cav Corp...

How can that be allowed on the public broadcaster! I much prefer hedgies: 1 2 3 4 Disband The Cav Corp

Bloody hats!

... waits for well earned abuse from the Cav heads around
                            Last edited by womble; 1 September 2015, 17:57.
                            courage, endurance, mateship and sacrifice

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                              tearing stuff out of lockers and throwing it on the floor is moronic shite and teaches nothing. It was stupid and pointless thirty years ago and is still the same.
                              Completely disagree, was only having this exact conversation with a guy I used to serve with the other night and he agreed with me.

Every morning I'd wake up and make sure my locker was perfect, every morning the NCO would give it a quick once over and destroy it. You say its pointless but it taught me a valuable life lesson. No matter how well prepared you think you are everything you've prepared for can be turned upside down and you have to just get on with it. Things change, unforeseen events occur, the helo that was supposed to resupply you isn't coming, you're on a Saturday guard, these things happen and you have to crack on.

I specifically remember the first few times this would happen and you'd just see guys looking at their lockers and not doing anything. Eventually they learned to just put it all back together again.
                              To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Despite the shite on today on Joe Duffy's Lie Line, last nights programme was quite good to watch and very much how it is.
                                The only real snag I have with it is they should of followed the Platoon/Troop for the full 7 months of training and not just the first 17 weeks. The more advanced training during the 2-3* phase would really highlight how highly trained the Irish soldier is with LFTT, CBRN, FIBUA, CRC, SERE etc.
                                Hopefully this is just the start of more programmes from RTE covering the Army from the inside including overseas and it would also be good if this programme was broadcasted in other countries as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X