Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: What Naval Knowledge have you?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Irish Naval Service

40 31.01%
  • Naval Service Reserve

10 7.75%
  • Other Naval Or Civilian Nautical experience

26 20.16%
  • I Was on the ferry once..

53 41.09%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Any Real Navy types out there?

Having noticed the relative inactivity of this section of the Board for some time,with a few notable exceptions,I am wondering How many users have actual Knowledge of Nautical and Naval Matters,and How can we encourage more "Real Navy" people to use the board?
    I Appreciate the posts so far in the Naval section,some have been very interesting and well informed,but looking at the other sections,I believe the quality and quantity could only improve.
    Any Ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Try some incentives..... most of the contributers seem to be reservists ..we seem to have very few proffessional types on the board also bear in mind that many potential naval contributers are at sea for most of the time....
    Just visiting

Post Thanks / Like
    Fee laptops
    "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Gunner Al
    Actually, this is my first ever time to even come into the Navy board here! Not bad, I'll be back more often

Sergeant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does Merchant Naval experiance count? Not wavy navy but know the feeling and been through a few "crossing the line" parties.
    Sigs - No amps, no volts = no interest

Post Thanks / Like
    Merchant is fine with me..if you have felt the decks move beneath you(or above you,if you are a greaser...)

sarsteve

zoomie

I used to be a TACCO on Canuck Sea Kings flying off of DDHs. Does that count?

Post Thanks / Like
    well steve it beats the ferry..tic the third box

sarsteve
    Done. Then again, you've obviously never seen the shape our Navy is in...or our Sea Slugs, for that matter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well we heard the seaking song,and I saw that they discovered you cannot land a seaking on its side either.Lucky escape that. Any updates?

sarsteve
    Ah yes, the song. A classic!:D Having survived a crash back in '91, I can personally attest that Slugs can land quite well on their sides...you're just not going anywhere afterwards.

The latest which you allude to was on HMCS Iroquois. So far it looks like an engine failure, and the crew were quite lucky to end up on the deck. Normally the Slug crews fly off only one type of ship, either frigate or destroyer, as your reference points and wind around the funnels is significantly different. That particular crew had just been attached to Iroquois(a destroyer) from a frigate, which may have contributed. As a result, Iroquois came back into Halifax, got patched up, then headed for the Persian Gulf sans helos!

With all the government interference with the replacement helo contract, it could still be years before a replacement comes on board. I'm just glad I'm not flying 'em anymore.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like an educated man ..promote this guy and milk him for all he is worth...welcome Cannuck...
    Just visiting

sarsteve
    :D Educated enough, I guess, to get the heck out before I was killed due to government mis-management.:D

My old man's family are Murphys, by the way. Left Eire back around 1780.:flagwave: Slainte (and thus runs my knowledge of Gaelic)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm..a murphy..not sure if we have room for another...Well,as long as you are not from Waterford or Tipperary you should be ok...

Welcome! Ironically,HPT's job in the Navy was to catch our "naval" helicopters before they fell into the drink..

sarsteve
    Ah well, the Murphy side was from Wexford and another great-Granny was from Legaginny, County Cavan. My first ancestor to hitch a ride across the pond was Nicholas Murphy, whose brother was the Rev. Michael Murphy killed in the 1798 Rising. Guess Nicholas wasn't interested in the same fate.

Checked out HPTs site, some nice pics. I'll have you know though, that I've not needed help from falling in my drink for years. What? Whats that? Oh, from falling in THE drink. My mistake, never mind.

NB. Edited for stupidity.:D
    Last edited by sarsteve; 11th June 2003 at 16:04.

BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does Royal Navy count?, am currently on standing naval force atlantic, am in Gibraltar for the weekend enjoying the San Miguel!

sarsteve
    Ahhhh...San Miguel, nectar of the Gods!! Right up there with Murphy's.

Goldfinger

Hi, Yes - ex NS (9 Years, mostly @ sea!) tried to transfer to AC but no joy as sea-going material, anyway made a respectable life for myself,
    now in IT, so if you need any help - drop me a line - check out note on my services..

Many Thanks & all the best

Post Thanks / Like
    Back to the top for this one.(given the recent influx of newbies)

Sergeant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi...Spent some time in the NS...then the outside world made me an offer (financially) I couldnt turn down!

BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have'nt really been that active on the naval service board, I guess there have'nt been any interesting topics to comment on, tempts me to go and dig something up.............

In Arduis Fidelis rod and serpent's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My cousin was in the Royal Navy, does that count.

Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Uncle was an MTB/MGB crewman for the entire second world temper tantrum, does that count??
    "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
    Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Post Thanks / Like
    I was known to swan around Norfolk Naval station in the early 90s - and my Auntie is a Commander US Navy (medical Corps) , does that count ?

The Man on the Telly combatlogo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ex pat 007
    I was known to swan around Norfolk Naval station in the early 90s - and my Auntie is a Commander US Navy (medical Corps) , does that count ?
    What a terrible duty station!!! You should have volunteered for Camp Swampy or 29 Stumps!!!

I was chauffeured all over the Med, Adriatic & Black Seas in various LPD's & LHD's for over a year, does that count???
    "Hello, Good Evening and Bollocks..."

Roger Mellie

Thread Information