This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nav Trooper View Post
    Eithne had a huge vid collection during early 90s due to the existence of multiple vcrs but then they were taken on loan and never seen again.

Like ye said its all portable dvd players and laptops now and the only time the mess is full is to watch the soccer matches or coronation street etc.
    CORONATION STREET - JESUS TIMES HAVE CHANGED???

Comment

Originally posted by moggy View Post
      CORONATION STREET - JESUS TIMES HAVE CHANGED???
      Same in my time - everything stopped for Coronation St. and ships were known to make it a point to be inshore for events like the world cup, where they could get good tv reception. Different now I expect as they have SAT TV now,

Comment

Originally posted by Test Pilot View Post
        Same in my time - everything stopped for Coronation St. and ships were known to make it a point to be inshore for events like the world cup, where they could get good tv reception. Different now I expect as they have SAT TV now,
        they do not know each other now like we used to so as they seem to stick to their cabins which must be a sad way to spend a patrol this only happened before when our trained alcohol noses sniffed out a private party and we popped a few tins on the sly,, any serving member on imo care to comment on how they pass the time now

Comment

Its not a bad thing to have entertainment other than the messes. Living in the age modern tech advantages, we had up to 5 xboxes networked on the Róisín for the gamers on the trollop deck, thats ten players in teams of two split screen. Also for the laptops a three way hub for the coxns, engineers and dustys office. Very easy to run cables through the deckheads. Twas like our own netgames café never a dull moment and plenty of square eyes.
          Coming soon will be an age of nightclasses for the likes of MIF PMS CAPS ECDL and so on. Instructers in these fields are in seagoing appointments so what better way to pass the time on a Loooooooong rotation ........
          As always, too many christians and never enough lions.

Comment

For Those in the Know

HO! HOOOOOOOOOOH!!!
            And the whore of babylon shall riiide forth in a frenzy of excitement.

Frak me my Mandalore clobber has a two+unmod sv.

:confused:

Comment

Would you find that some people would take the time at sea to do various courses such as Open University or spelling lessons?

Comment

Originally posted by rosser
                The Navy has changed quiet a bit in that regards Lads. Most people do stick to their cabins more so on the Roisin and Niamh. Its got more to do wiht the younger crews that we have now, the whole social aspect has changed. No more cornflakes and blues. DVDs are the order of the day and no Video rentals from "topa the hill" the week before a patrol anymore.

The days alongside side spent in banter and craic in the pub are almost dead and gone with the type crew we have today.
                we find that as well in the Army- especially overseas, I remember my first 3 trips to the Leb

and we lived 10 of us in a billet- now a lot of places are 2 man rooms

great for self abuse but brutal for building up esrit de corps

You never see the young lads playing monopoly , scrabble or the likes of risk

nowadays

hurumph hurumph
                Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

So the days of drinking competitions, bag of shite competions and farting competitions. darts matches and dragging people out through the vents in cabin doors have passed.

Political correctness has got in the way of good old fashioned debauchery.
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

No harm.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                      So the days of drinking competitions, bag of shite competions and farting competitions. darts matches and dragging people out through the vents in cabin doors have passed.

Political correctness has got in the way of good old fashioned debauchery.
                      Just to clarify one point above. The 'bag of shite competition' has nothing to do with crap! It refers to the worst looking 'trollop' one might bring back from the pub.

Comment

My self and Gonzo cahill were the front runners at one point in Galway but a certain cheif mech and Po ERA paddles wre the leaders hwen it came to the east coats.....

the good old days.

frozen sausages...ladies bums and porthole s ( I'm slow to use the word 'scuttle') come to mind..compliments of a high tide on a PV in Dunlaoighre.. ther pervs amongst us won't have to think too much about the sequence of events.
                        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

My self and Gonzo cahill were the front runners at one point in Galway but a certain cheif mech and Po ERA paddles wre the leaders hwen it came to the east coats.....

the good old days.

frozen sausages...ladies bums and porthole s ( I'm slow to use the word 'scuttle') come to mind..compliments of a high tide on a PV in Dunlaoighre.. ther pervs amongst us won't have to think too much about the sequence of events.
                          if i am not mistaken - the p/v was in Dublin port unless there was another incident above with the same 2

Comment

Could be Dublin port.. wasn't a personal experience of mine.. believe it happen on Deirdre

Comment

Could be Dublin port.. wasn't a personal experience of mine.. believe it happen on Deirdre
                              Emer big time was on duty that night - i will not go into any more details//

Comment

couple of years in the reserve and then a couple in the full time NS.

It was fifa compitions on the playstation in my time.

And in regart to the last couple of posts. The certain chief mech told us a few stories during our mechs cource. some things never change!!
                                The British were met with their own weapons,
                                They had gone down into the mire to destroy us and our nation,
                                And down after them we had to go.

Comment

Working...
                                X