This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Real Navy types out there?

Having noticed the relative inactivity of this section of the Board for some time,with a few notable exceptions,I am wondering How many users have actual Knowledge of Nautical and Naval Matters,and How can we encourage more "Real Navy" people to use the board?
    I Appreciate the posts so far in the Naval section,some have been very interesting and well informed,but looking at the other sections,I believe the quality and quantity could only improve.
    Any Ideas?
    Irish Naval Service
    30.77%
    Naval Service Reserve
    7.69%
    Other Naval Or Civilian Nautical experience
    20.77%
    I Was on the ferry once..
    40.77%

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Try some incentives..... most of the contributers seem to be reservists ..we seem to have very few proffessional types on the board also bear in mind that many potential naval contributers are at sea for most of the time....
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Fee laptops
      "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Actually, this is my first ever time to even come into the Navy board here! Not bad, I'll be back more often

Comment

Does Merchant Naval experiance count? Not wavy navy but know the feeling and been through a few "crossing the line" parties.
          Sigs - No amps, no volts = no interest

Comment

Merchant is fine with me..if you have felt the decks move beneath you(or above you,if you are a greaser...)

Comment

zoomie

I used to be a TACCO on Canuck Sea Kings flying off of DDHs. Does that count?

Comment

well steve it beats the ferry..tic the third box

Comment

Done. Then again, you've obviously never seen the shape our Navy is in...or our Sea Slugs, for that matter.

Comment

Well we heard the seaking song,and I saw that they discovered you cannot land a seaking on its side either.Lucky escape that. Any updates?

Comment

Ah yes, the song. A classic!:D Having survived a crash back in '91, I can personally attest that Slugs can land quite well on their sides...you're just not going anywhere afterwards.

The latest which you allude to was on HMCS Iroquois. So far it looks like an engine failure, and the crew were quite lucky to end up on the deck. Normally the Slug crews fly off only one type of ship, either frigate or destroyer, as your reference points and wind around the funnels is significantly different. That particular crew had just been attached to Iroquois(a destroyer) from a frigate, which may have contributed. As a result, Iroquois came back into Halifax, got patched up, then headed for the Persian Gulf sans helos!

With all the government interference with the replacement helo contract, it could still be years before a replacement comes on board. I'm just glad I'm not flying 'em anymore.

Comment

Sounds like an educated man ..promote this guy and milk him for all he is worth...welcome Cannuck...
                        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

:D Educated enough, I guess, to get the heck out before I was killed due to government mis-management.:D

My old man's family are Murphys, by the way. Left Eire back around 1780.:flagwave: Slainte (and thus runs my knowledge of Gaelic)

Comment

Hmm..a murphy..not sure if we have room for another...Well,as long as you are not from Waterford or Tipperary you should be ok...

Welcome! Ironically,HPT's job in the Navy was to catch our "naval" helicopters before they fell into the drink..

Comment

Ah well, the Murphy side was from Wexford and another great-Granny was from Legaginny, County Cavan. My first ancestor to hitch a ride across the pond was Nicholas Murphy, whose brother was the Rev. Michael Murphy killed in the 1798 Rising. Guess Nicholas wasn't interested in the same fate.

Checked out HPTs site, some nice pics. I'll have you know though, that I've not needed help from falling in my drink for years. What? Whats that? Oh, from falling in THE drink. My mistake, never mind.

NB. Edited for stupidity.:D
                              Last edited by Guest; 11 June 2003, 16:04.

Comment

Working...
                              X