Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: What Naval Knowledge have you?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Irish Naval Service

    40 31.01%
  • Naval Service Reserve

    10 7.75%
  • Other Naval Or Civilian Nautical experience

    26 20.16%
  • I Was on the ferry once..

    53 41.09%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 72 of 72
  1. #51
    2/Lt
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would you find that some people would take the time at sea to do various courses such as Open University or spelling lessons?

  2. #52
    Serf hedgehog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    14,499
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rosser View Post
    The Navy has changed quiet a bit in that regards Lads. Most people do stick to their cabins more so on the Roisin and Niamh. Its got more to do wiht the younger crews that we have now, the whole social aspect has changed. No more cornflakes and blues. DVDs are the order of the day and no Video rentals from "topa the hill" the week before a patrol anymore.

    The days alongside side spent in banter and craic in the pub are almost dead and gone with the type crew we have today.
    we find that as well in the Army- especially overseas, I remember my first 3 trips to the Leb

    and we lived 10 of us in a billet- now a lot of places are 2 man rooms

    great for self abuse but brutal for building up esrit de corps

    You never see the young lads playing monopoly , scrabble or the likes of risk

    nowadays

    hurumph hurumph
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

  3. #53
    Commander in Chief hptmurphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    13,138
    Post Thanks / Like
    So the days of drinking competitions, bag of shite competions and farting competitions. darts matches and dragging people out through the vents in cabin doors have passed.

    Political correctness has got in the way of good old fashioned debauchery.
    Just visiting

  4. #54
    Closed Account Goldie fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    you already know too much
    Posts
    33,440
    Post Thanks / Like
    No harm.

  5. #55
    2/Lt
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    So the days of drinking competitions, bag of shite competions and farting competitions. darts matches and dragging people out through the vents in cabin doors have passed.

    Political correctness has got in the way of good old fashioned debauchery.
    Just to clarify one point above. The 'bag of shite competition' has nothing to do with crap! It refers to the worst looking 'trollop' one might bring back from the pub.

  6. #56
    Commander in Chief hptmurphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    13,138
    Post Thanks / Like
    My self and Gonzo cahill were the front runners at one point in Galway but a certain cheif mech and Po ERA paddles wre the leaders hwen it came to the east coats.....

    the good old days.

    frozen sausages...ladies bums and porthole s ( I'm slow to use the word 'scuttle') come to mind..compliments of a high tide on a PV in Dunlaoighre.. ther pervs amongst us won't have to think too much about the sequence of events.
    Just visiting

  7. #57
    Commander
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    South CO. Dublin
    Posts
    489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    My self and Gonzo cahill were the front runners at one point in Galway but a certain cheif mech and Po ERA paddles wre the leaders hwen it came to the east coats.....

    the good old days.

    frozen sausages...ladies bums and porthole s ( I'm slow to use the word 'scuttle') come to mind..compliments of a high tide on a PV in Dunlaoighre.. ther pervs amongst us won't have to think too much about the sequence of events.
    if i am not mistaken - the p/v was in Dublin port unless there was another incident above with the same 2

  8. #58
    Commander in Chief hptmurphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    13,138
    Post Thanks / Like
    Could be Dublin port.. wasn't a personal experience of mine.. believe it happen on Deirdre
    Just visiting

  9. #59
    Commander
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    South CO. Dublin
    Posts
    489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    Could be Dublin port.. wasn't a personal experience of mine.. believe it happen on Deirdre
    Emer big time was on duty that night - i will not go into any more details//

  10. #60
    Recruit
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    couple of years in the reserve and then a couple in the full time NS.

    It was fifa compitions on the playstation in my time.

    And in regart to the last couple of posts. The certain chief mech told us a few stories during our mechs cource. some things never change!!
    The British were met with their own weapons,
    They had gone down into the mire to destroy us and our nation,
    And down after them we had to go.

  11. #61
    2/Lt Bosco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Tipperary
    Posts
    1,649
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Test Pilot View Post
    Just to clarify one point above. The 'bag of shite competition' has nothing to do with crap! It refers to the worst looking 'trollop' one might bring back from the pub.
    Is this not now known as dog-fighting?
    Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

  12. #62
    2/Lt
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    Is this not now known as dog-fighting?
    Don't know. Never bothered myself getting involved in dog fights!

  13. #63
    CQMS
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    228
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    Is this not now known as dog-fighting?
    na people get bitchy in dog fights. better slaggin with the good old b.o.s. competetions the likes of which is never equalled outside naval circles

  14. #64
    Recruit
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeHotelFoxtrot View Post
    Don't believe a word out of that creature.
    I know he told us the stories and then we got the real version when we went to sea. Dirty ****er, dont know how he got away with some things. After one of his stories one day i asked him "would he appricate someone treat his daughter like that?" The fag fell outa his mouth and didnt know what to say. Neithen say that question wasnt on the test!!
    The British were met with their own weapons,
    They had gone down into the mire to destroy us and our nation,
    And down after them we had to go.

  15. #65
    Private 2*
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like
    The now ex C/Mech is currently working in the dockyard tech stores in Haulbowline.
    Last edited by MURPH; 23rd March 2010 at 18:42.

  16. #66
    Private 3*
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    33
    Post Thanks / Like
    Careful folks.

    These boards are trawled by people who may take objection to narrowing the potential culprits down.

    Those of us who know the person in question know he probably would revel in the notoriety, but you cant take that chance.

    Be adequately vague.
    And the whore of babylon shall riiide forth in a frenzy of excitement.

    Frak me my Mandalore clobber has a two+unmod sv.

    :confused:

  17. #67
    Closed Account Goldie fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    you already know too much
    Posts
    33,440
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trawled???

    Pun?

  18. #68
    CQMS
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    tip of iceland
    Posts
    246
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nav Trooper View Post
    Careful folks.

    These boards are trawled by people who may take objection to narrowing the potential culprits down.

    Those of us who know the person in question know he probably would revel in the notoriety, but you cant take that chance.

    Be adequately vague.
    very true

  19. #69
    Mack
    Guest
    Back on topic.. Slua 94-97 Naval Service 97-2000 Green uniform 2000-present. I complain when I'm told I'm in the Army I'm in the Defence Forces.. My job supports all four services. Army, Naval, Air Corps, and reserve. (the reserve will never be counted as integrated in my books I have more time for the civil defects). Have also completed five trips on the Asgard II before she sank.
    So I would have to tick all four boxes above.

  20. #70
    Commander in Chief hptmurphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    13,138
    Post Thanks / Like
    I
    complain when I'm told I'm in the Army I'm in the Defence Forces..
    Given your various visitations to various branches bar the Aer Corps it would in deed be more accurate to describe your self as a member of the DF.

    The army won't accept you as a soldier and the navy won't accept you as a sailor..Should you have identity crises later in life you can blame on you migratory work ethic,

    welcome aboard.
    Just visiting

  21. #71
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    19,737
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mack View Post
    I have more time for the civil defence
    Depends on the county, some get to do well that the Army Reserve!

  22. #72
    Serf hedgehog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    14,499
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mack View Post
    Back on topic.. Slua 94-97 Naval Service 97-2000 Green uniform 2000-present. I complain when I'm told I'm in the Army I'm in the Defence Forces.. My job supports all four services. Army, Naval, Air Corps, and reserve. (the reserve will never be counted as integrated in my books I have more time for the civil defects). Have also completed five trips on the Asgard II before she sank.
    So I would have to tick all four boxes above.
    You complain because people say your in the Army

    You must be a right barrel of laughs
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Navy probes 'mutinous' damage to patrol vessel
    By andy in forum Navy & Naval Reserve
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 27th April 2005, 16:31
  2. Royal Navy Cuts
    By gaff85 in forum Navy & Naval Reserve
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 24th October 2004, 08:55

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •