Irish Naval Infantry/Marines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buck View Post
    In Ireland though, would the cry from those damn crusties not drown out reasonable debate?
    its not just the crusties, its a good slice of the wider political class - having a cheap DF that doesn't do anything controversial means not having to offend potential voters with decisions they may not like or that may have unwelcome consequences that have to defended, it also means there's more cash to be splashed at the parish pump or on 'client groups'.

i'd like to think that the kind of policy that Paul G is talking about is the policy that will be followed - i certainly think that its whats required in the Irish national interest - but i'm afraid that political opportunism will mean that the DF will be crippled.

Comment

Top post ropebag
      I knew a simple soldier boy.....
      Who grinned at life in empty joy,
      Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
      And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
      With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
      He put a bullet through his brain.
      And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
      Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
      Sneak home and pray you'll never know
      The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

Links for the Canadian Marines

http://naval.review.cfps.dal.ca/arch...l5num1art3.pdf

Comment

I find it very intresting in the link the article it says marines could be used to protect oil rigs in the event of a terroist attack espeically because ireland is looking to expand its terrotorial waters in the next few years and their may be huge amounts of unexplored natural gas deposits laying under the seabed of the west coast of ireland.

Comment

I don't know if having extra capability isn't such a bad idea for defence, but neutrality is the best policy. The Swiss do it very well. I deplore conscription. UN missions are not necessary.
            whats this...our 10% disabled on the board ..it is a military board after all, would some mod please take the inititiave and ban this cnut!

Murf old pal, while I tend to aggree with you ,hence the ''like'' button, it might be better to tone it down a bit and explain to this innocent why in God's name his opinion is sooooo off the mark
            Last edited by Turkey; 29 April 2012, 15:33.
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I don't know if having extra capability isn't such a bad idea for defence, but neutrality is the best policy.
              Maybe you should move out of ireland and into a neutral country then?
              "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
              "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Not that Notasoldier needs me to jump in the line of fire but I put my Kevlar jocks on this morning. No need for a ban. Let's defend our position. There's any number of ways to do that.
                " I will not have my fwiends widiculed by the common soldiewy"

Comment

The only people who want to ban, just tend to be those who think they have the fight. Well you don't. Cowards!

I never said I was Irish, my profile states how I found this forum and where I am from, take a little time to read. I don't know of any military forums, I post here occassionally on anything that may interest me.
                  "Not merely peace for Americans but for peace for all men and women, not merely peace in our time but in all time." ~ John Kennedy World peace speech June 1963.

Comment

Originally posted by Notasoldier View Post
                    The only people who want to ban, just tend to be those who think they have the fight. Well you don't. Cowards!

I never said I was Irish, my profile states how I found this forum and where I am from, take a little time to read. I don't know of any military forums, I post here occassionally on anything that may interest me.
                    This country is not neutral, never has been, and without spending a sh1tload of money will never be. The Swiss as you pointed out are a good example of ''real'' nutrality.
                    Our 'neutrality is a pathetic excuse by out pig-ignorantgobshite politicans and civil servants to save money on our DF.
                    We need those UN missions in a fighting rearguard action to maintain even the pathetic amount of money that is spent on equipment and training so that in a [God forbid] attempt on this country that we have some limited means to defend it untill someone comes to our aid, appart from that we do still have a subversive element to deal with, [they hav'nt gone away, you know].
                    "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                    Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                    Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

This idea that your country doesn't need a military is just a slight exaggeration, you could be neutral if you wanted but clearly the people don't seem bothered and the politicians are not concerned about this position.

If Ireland wants to be a peace keeping country then okay, I can't wish the world to leave anywhere alone, and let people do the best they can.

Nothing is for certain, the UK government is involved in militarism that isn't peace, I would like to see that change.

Can anybody tell me, probably a waste of time(never hurts though), has anyone actually written to their TD about views on foreign policy or defense?
                      "Not merely peace for Americans but for peace for all men and women, not merely peace in our time but in all time." ~ John Kennedy World peace speech June 1963.

Comment

so much for the olive branch.....
                        If you want peace, some time you gotta fight for it just as the Brits had to do in '39, did you want the world to be ruled by mister a hitler?

this is my last off topic post on this, I strongly reccomend thats it's yours as well...
                        If you wish to discuss your IMHO mistaken veiws on world peace do feel free to start another thread.
                        "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                        Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                        Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

If you want to be Neutral, if you want a policy of Military Neutrality, you have to be able to defend it.
                          Otherwise, prepare to be a "soft target".
                          Ireland is militarily, Non Aligned.

@notasoldier: stop waffling. FG has a policy on defence. It is well publicised at election time. read it, then let the rest of us discuss the topic.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

It's kind of party tricks using troops of any Corps. Better a Marine based heavy company happy in the environment aboard ship and trained in assault and landings.

Comment

Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                              It's kind of party tricks using troops of any Corps. Better a Marine based heavy company happy in the environment aboard ship and trained in assault and landings.
                              The DF is too small to justify it

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                                The DF is too small to justify it
                                The DF/DoD/Govt is too fixed in their vested interests in keeping geographically dispersed barracks for local votes to consider strategic consolidation of forces to provide the flexibility to innovate towards a Maritime/Amphibious hybrid service. Considering Ireland is an Island and all.

Comment

Working...
                                X