Cessna Replacement - The Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its just a jump to the left.....
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Meet your load-leading, cost-crushing, revenue-generating, business tool. The CERTIFIED CESSNA SKYCOURIER utility turboprop.

I understand the BN Defender has done around 20 years IAC service now. If a light utility high wing twin replacement is required the proposed Cessna 408 Skycourier has a lot going for it.

USD$5.5m with 100 ordered by FedEx to start delivery in 2020. As part of the Textron stable no doubt special missions packages will become available.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anzac View Post
        http://cessna.txtav.com/en/turboprop/skycourier

I understand the BN Defender has done around 20 years IAC service now. If a light utility high wing twin replacement is required the proposed Cessna 408 Skycourier has a lot going for it.

USD$5.5m with 100 ordered by FedEx to start delivery in 2020. As part of the Textron stable no doubt special missions packages will become available.
        The AC PC12 contract included an option which would replace the Defender

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
          Its just a jump to the left.....
          And then a step to the right....

(I see what you did there! :-). )

Comment

• I thought I would never see the day.

A big gap until the PC12 arrives. The 172 was a great way to work up flying hours. What is going to tow Drogues now? More importantly who will utter the legendary message "tell that f$$$er I'm towing the drogue, not pushing it!"

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
              I thought I would never see the day.

A big gap until the PC12 arrives. The 172 was a great way to work up flying hours. What is going to tow Drogues now? More importantly who will utter the legendary message "tell that f$$$er I'm towing the drogue, not pushing it!"
              I remember standing in the RDS at, I think a jobs fare. With a brand new FR172h on the DF stand complete with the rocket pods attached.

Comment

• Originally posted by sofa View Post
                I remember standing in the RDS at, I think a jobs fare. With a brand new FR172h on the DF stand complete with the rocket pods attached.
                There used to be a "clipped" cessna also, used for charity plane pushes etc.
                Its a funny place in Life to be, seeing the entry into, and withdrawal from service of major assets.
                Saw the Dauphin Come and go. GASU Squirrel same story. S61 was only here a wet weekend, but still...G4. All arrived with great fanfare, all failed to live up to the hype.

Comment

• Originally posted by sofa View Post
                  I remember as a kid seeing one of them close up at an open day in Gormanstown Camp, and being impressed as it provided “Close air support” for an infantry attack at the end of the day. They must have been pretty new at that stage.
                  'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                  'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                  Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                  He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                  http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• Now, lets see if they will be sold to the public (remember them, the taxpayer?) or scrapped or dumped?

Comment

• Go to a museum?

Comment

• Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                        Go to a museum?
                        They are pretty much a standard 172, painted green.

Comment

• They have a more powerful engine, 210 hp compared to 160 hp, but they are otherwise pretty much identical to a civvy 172. There are several identical FR 172 H Reims Rockets already on the civvy register. I was one of those who took the rocket firing circuit out of the aircraft, as far back as 1992 (or thereabouts), when the 37mm rockets were declared obsolete and taken out of service. The only remaining part on all of the Air Corps Cessna fleet that relates to the armament is the airspeed arming switch under the right wing, which was riveted in place and we couldnt get a "basher" to drill out the rivets and allow us to get the little mechanical switch out! Some of them were removed later so essentially, they have been incapable of firing any kind of weapon since the early 90s. They were, as far as I know, the only deliberately armed 172s operated by an Air Arm in the world. Other Cessnas such as the old L-19 and the Cessna A-37 were armed and saw combat extensively, as far back as the Korean war.

Comment

• Probably go on record as having the most rounds expended in their general direction as opposed to expending rounds....
                            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                              Go to a museum?
                              One for the AC museum, the rest fit with a remote control system and get some target practice in!
                              First one to knock one out of the sky wins an all expenses paid trip to Mali.

Comment

• Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
                                One for the AC museum, the rest fit with a remote control system and get some target practice in!
                                First one to knock one out of the sky wins an all expenses paid trip to Mali.
                                That could be difficult - everyone must be so used to firing several hundred metres behind them that old habits might be hard to break

Comment

Working...
                                X