Cessna Replacement - The Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Turkey View Post
    I was told in no uncertain terms [not from Bal'] that it's the PC-12, time will tell....
    Considering the published tender spec it can't be anything else.

Comment

• Make no mistake, this is a coronation not a competition.

What damage writing such a tight spec has done to value for money we will never know.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jetjock View Post
        What damage writing such a tight spec has done to value for money we will never know.
        Straight from the sales brochure..

Comment

• Not for the first time either
          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• I have been thinking (dangerous, I know!)

We currently have

3 Cessnas
            2 MPA
            1 Learjet

that are all up for replacement soonish

Why don't we go for a single type fleeet?

5 Piaggio MPA that are basically quite capable ISTAR birds
            1 Piaggio Avanti EVO as ministerial transport

and join EATC for the odd transport and flying ambulance need? Make the Avanati available for it.

This would give us a versatile fleet of MPA/ISTAR a/c and a single type fleet. Bang per buck would be much increased.
            Last edited by Graylion; 7 September 2017, 11:59.

Comment

• Originally posted by Graylion View Post
              I have been thinking (dangerous, I know!)
              We currently have
              3 Cessnas
              2 MPA
              1 Learjet
              that are all up for replacement soonish
              Why don't we go for a single type fleeet?
              5 Piaggio MPA that are basically quite capable ISTAR birds
              1 Piaggio Avanti EVO as ministerial transport
              and join EATC for the odd transport and flying ambulance need? Make the Avanati available for it.
              This would give us a versatile fleet of MPA/ISTAR a/c and a single type fleet. Bang per buck would be much increased.
              It's too late for thinking! the white paper will hamstring the AC for the next 20 years..

The Future is 3 PC-12
              2 MPA(C-295)
              1 LR-45

Eh thats it...

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlie252 View Post
                It's too late for thinking! the white paper will hamstring the AC for the next 20 years..

The Future is 3 PC-12
                2 MPA(C-295)
                1 LR-45

Eh thats it...

Read it again

The CASA and Cessna replacements will be much more capable

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                  Read it again

The CASA and Cessna replacements will be much more capable
                  so is a 2017 car vs a 2001 one. It is all very incremental and jumping way too short.

Comment

• Originally posted by Graylion View Post
                    so is a 2017 car vs a 2001 one. It is all very incremental and jumping way too short.
                    Not when going from a transit connect to a rigid truck

Or from 1970 mini to a 2017 transit

With regard to the Cessna replacement read the specs on this thread.

Going from a 1970 4 seater (with mark 1 eyeball) to a modern about 11 seater, capable of taking a stretcher and a significant sensor package
                    Last edited by DeV; 7 September 2017, 14:38.

Comment

• Are they purchasing the significant sensor package??

Budget would say otherwise

Comment

• FFBNW is a byword in all purchases we make these days ... "this is what id like, but heres what I can afford"
                        "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                        "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlie252 View Post

The Future is 3 PC-12
                          2 MPA(C-295)
                          1 LR-45

Eh thats it...
                          Think I said it before on here that it is planned to replace the Casa's with three aircraft.
                          The DFHQ has long since sent the White Paper to the recycling center. It was obsolete before the ink was dry.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
                            Think I said it before on here that it is planned to replace the Casa's with three aircraft.
                            The DFHQ has long since sent the White Paper to the recycling center. It was obsolete before the ink was dry.
                            Fingers crossed some new thinking will change trajectory.. my fear, as I have said before, is that is an effort to "replace" the CN-235 and maintain the focus on the Fishery Protection role the new aircraft, whatever the number, will be a "Jack of all trades" but Master of None and in effect only Incrementally improve the capability of the AC.

These internal discussions with regards to Mission Sets will lead to an Eventual New Aircraft, this decision will likely effect the next 25 years and therefore IMHO more of a leap Forward in capability should be considered.

The question might be, will conventional airborne fisheries Protection as we currently see it be Valid in 10 or 20 years time.

Comment

• You could see more FP done with UAVs/satellites/sensors than with humans flying aircraft, eyeballing at 300 feet. You could also see a future C295 (flavour of the month aircraft) purchase mutating into a pure turbine aircraft purchase, such as a KC 390 Marpat or you could see FP taken entirely out of the AC and devolved into a Coasties function......regarding PC-12s, if they do get them, then I'll bet one will be kept as standard as a Learjet back up and as a nominal "cargo/stretcher/ass and trash" hauler. The Don might get lucky and get to keep one of the blue Casas as a pure hauler/ para dropper/air ambulance, if they tear out the mission kit and keep it as a pure hauler.

Comment

• I maintain that the Avanti MPA would be a considerable step up in capability for both MPA and ISTAR.

Comment

Working...
                                X