Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
    Why is that
    A couple of people have said it on this board, and on Franks if I remember right. GttC was one I think (hope!). "A lot" is probably wrong in all honesty though...

Again, it's an opinion, I'm not in the Air Corps and they would know a lot more about it then I would. But to me using a cheaper aircraft, along the lines of a Cessna, would allow the IAC to see how lads reacted in flight, without having to use one of the pretty expensive PC-9's.

Comment

Thanks,

I was just wondering

Stay positive and eat healthy
      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Hi there
        Like I said before, if the great and mighty USAF, among others, feels the need for flight candidate screening aircraft, to weed out unsuitable persons, then the Air Corps should do likewise. Simulators are great but are not a full substitute for actual flight. The Cessnas are ideal first aircraft for cadets with no previous air experience.
        regards
        Gttc

Comment

Has thought been put into using private own aircraft for flight screening. Still use DF staff but have a private aircraft and maintainence. I believe that the air crew intakes are only small so the cost should only be small

Comment

The training of zero flight experience pilot candidates are becoming a thing of the past in some Air Forces. More and more young pilot candidates are showing up with PPL's. Its becoming an unofficial pre-selection expectation. For example the USAF has moved on recently from taking non flyers and screening is now outsourced. Also the leasing of basic flight training aircraft by Air Forces are becoming more common e.g RAAF/RNZAF both lease the CT4E.

For the IAC why not lease say 4 to 5 Cessna 182T's from Cessna for BFT/Observation and then spend more on a Twin Otter / C-212 type aircraft for the utility roles?

Comment

Replacing the Cessna, long overdue... any update on whats coming in instead??....
              "There is nothing braver then the heart of a volunteer" Lt. Col. Dolittle, USAC, 1941.

Comment

Maybe if you read any of the previous 50 posts on the topic you might get a clue?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                  Maybe if you read any of the previous 50 posts on the topic you might get a clue?
                  lol... an AirJock with an Attitude... if you had read my question, I asked does anybody know whats coming in instead of the Cessna???.... the thread is full of opinions about whats the most suitable replacement, which is fine... but its not what I asked.....

So to the rest of the members, does anybody know what is replacing the Cessna??... From my experience, the Cessna has held a good spotting/patrol role, but its too easily spotted by the altitude it flys at. A bigger and quieter aircraft with more survellience and communication toys on it would be ideal for higher altitude flight.... the noise of the cessna makes it detectable too quickly especially when in the hills, and thus coordination of any ground activity makes it a slow moving target in any hot op....IMO
                  "There is nothing braver then the heart of a volunteer" Lt. Col. Dolittle, USAC, 1941.

Comment

Originally posted by Exo1 View Post
                    I asked does anybody know whats coming in instead of the Cessna???.... the thread is full of opinions about whats the most suitable replacement, which is fine... but its not what I asked.....
                    Do you not think that if people knew what was replacing it, and was able to tell us, they would have done so already?

From my experience, the Cessna has held a good spotting/patrol role, but its too easily spotted by the altitude it flys at.
                    Whats your experience in Cessna operations?

A bigger and quieter aircraft with more surveillance and communication toys on it would be ideal for higher altitude flight.... the noise of the Cessna makes it detectable too quickly especially when in the hills, and thus coordination of any ground activity makes it a slow moving target in any hot op....IMO
                    Ah here A slow moving target in any hot op? Where do you think you are? Iraq? The Cessna never operated outside of the state and I've never heard of them being fired on, It's replacement won't be doing any coordination of ground activity overseas either, so it's vulnerability to ground fire isn't going to be an issue.

Can we get back to reality now?
                    "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

There were two Cessna caravan s in the country some time back. Fedex used them.Iromically one of the piots was an ex Aircorop guy...and buy could he fly it.Great aircraft and should be a contender for Rocket Replacement.Good payload, good short field performance and could be used to drop parachutists.

Yes the single engine perfomance was an issue in the UK but never here.Yes its a power full monster an unsuitable for training but it has many other advantages.
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

In all seriousness

whats wrong with the Cessana

it does exactly what it says on the tin

it trains lads- it covers cashes- and a few lads can jump out for parachute jumps

its like the Alloutte and is lasting a very long time

its simple to fix

and simple to store

why not recognise - yes this is the one

and buy more of the same or at least very very similar.

and then we take the money saved and but a lovely new fountain feature

for DFHQ

or God Forbid- some stuff for the Soldiers on the Ground
                        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Exo1
                          Did it ever occur to you that the blindingly obvious and noisy presence of a Cessna was a deterrent in itself?
                          regards
                          GttC

Comment

shopping list

In all seriousness

it trains lads- it covers cashes- and a few lads can jump out for parachute jumps

its simple to fix

and simple to store

for DFHQ

What would you like?

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                              Exo1
                              Did it ever occur to you that the blindingly obvious and noisy presence of a Cessna was a deterrent in itself?
                              regards
                              GttC
                              No I didnt, now that you mention it... its use is suitable for some types of ops, and thinking about support to Garda operations, it does have an effect upon reflection.....

As for me being in Iraq... lol... dude, a slow moving target with a noisy assed engine is a slow moving target with a noisy assed engine... sheesh... I know none have being fired upon, but if a black hawk can be downed with an $5 RPG round... can our imaginations not stretch to think of the danger such a craft could be in if there over an area with bad guys and such military hardware.... point made so Ill get back to reality now...

And to the last question, my experience in Cessna Operations from an Aer Corps perspective is zero. Have being on deployments where cessnas were used as spotters..

Comment

In all seriousness

its simple to fix

and simple to store

for DFHQ

Fair points dude..... it fills a certain role, so put the money into other areas.. sooner or later though, the Aer Corps will replace them, hopefully higher specs along with the same enduring features you speak of about the Cessna..

Comment

Working...
                                X