No announcement yet.

Cessna Replacement - The Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regardless of the direction taken in the replacement process, print this in the tender document, the White Paper and above the gate at Baldonnel:

"It is fully realized that the only excuse for aviation in any service is its usefulness in assisting the troops on the ground to successfully carry out their operations." USMC Major Alfred A. Cunningham, from article in USMC Gazette, 1920.

Comment

• Rumour has it that Cessna's C208 Caravan demonstrator was in Baldonnel on the 25th June.

Possible 172 replacement and move the entire Air Corps to JetA.
      Sigs - No amps, no volts = no interest

Comment

• And the hope they might get a military variant of some sort
        "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
        "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Not a hope I'd say. Look at their last purchases, all off the shelf.
          Sigs - No amps, no volts = no interest

Comment

• Surely Caravans have been to the Don many many times before??

Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Many,many times. The Caravan was demonstrated by Iona years ago in civil and military form and the Don expressed it's desire to get one many years ago and were shot down by Finance. Same old story; try to buy a genuinely useful aircraft and be told that some other aircraft will be shed or not bought. Civil serpents rule.

Comment

• So 3 a/c larger than the Cessnas with ISTAR capability it is then

Comment

• That could be three Defenders....I'll bet it will be multi-engine as a minimum.

Comment

• I would expect it to be the next announcement and I would say they have the tender already written, and just waiting for approval from DPER. Lets just hope it's before the election otherwise it might be kicked to the long grass.
                    It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
                    It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
                    It was a new age...It was the end of history.
                    It was the year everything changed.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                      That could be three Defenders....I'll bet it will be multi-engine as a minimum.
                      Well with the experience in supporting the Garda Defender it shouldn't be too hard to transition to more of them. How much do the current models cost?

Comment

• But also said the GASU fleet composition is to be looked at

Comment

• From what has been said by previous knowledgeable posters - the Defender isn't much loved by its crews, so it'll be interesting to see what happens.

An obvious point to make is that "three larger aircraft suitably equipped for ISTAR" leaves open the distinct possibility of the IAC taking on an overseas role.

The Casa began supporting the Army on training ex's showing what an airborne ISTAR asset can bring to the table - and the capability has got to be there for the DF at home and abroad - as much for proving the IAC serves a viable military function, as anything else.
                          Last edited by pym; 26 August 2015, 20:53.

Comment

• The Garda defender is a special case, full of job specific equipment, but the British Army have had a long and happy experience with the Islanders in NI and elsewhere. But as a direct Cessna replacement, given the work they do, the Pilatus PC 12 seems to have taken over the work worldwide that military Cessna 172 used to do.
                            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• PC-12 looks good on paper, but so did a number of other things the DoD ruined, sorry I meant bought.

Last edited by CTU; 26 August 2015, 23:16.
                              It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
                              It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
                              It was a new age...It was the end of history.
                              It was the year everything changed.

Comment

• Originally posted by pym
                                leaves open the distinct possibility of the IAC taking on an overseas role.
                                Is mentioned

Comment

Working...
                                X