No announcement yet.

Cessna Replacement - The Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cessna have got into the single-turbine game again with a proposed new PC-12 lookalike. they haven't named it yet, though.

Comment

• They wouldnt happen to be...

looking for a gullible launch customer by any chance?

"He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
      "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• I'm guessing that the aircraft only exists in mockup form, to tease out customer reaction. Cessna would knife your mother for a military launch customer, but even the Don would have to see real sheet metal before parting with the readies. Now, if Cessna finagled a couple of cheap, rental 208s to see them through...

Comment

• Brochure for the Quest Kodiak based "Air Claw" ISTAR a/c, claims a loiter speed of 65kts

Comment

• A TBM-900 was knocking around Baldonnel in May

Daher manufactures two families of single-engine turboprop airplanes: the Kodiak utility aircraft and the very fast pressurized TBM 960 & TBM 910

Comment

• Originally posted by pym View Post
              A TBM-900 was knocking around Baldonnel in May

http://www.tbm-mma.com/en/tbm-multi-...-missions/isr/
              Same engine as the PC9, that'll tick a box when the tenders are evaluated.

Comment

• Similar to a PC12 too.
                For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• You'd have to wonder as to the thinking here. If a single engine type has been deemed preferential go for something with genuine go-anywhere utility like a Caravan. Something supportable and deployable with transport, ISR, and a even a weapons capability.

Forget tarmac loving corporate civilian types that are happier at 25,000 feet than 2,500 and need a certain level of kid gloves treatment. I bet they are comfy though....

Comment

• I would say it will be 2 X turboprop

Comment

• I wonder if they're under pressure to get something that can double as a VIP a/c and Air Ambulance too

Comment

I wonder if they're under pressure to get something that can double as a VIP a/c and Air Ambulance too
                        It is probable that they are be trying to fit some of the King Air roles into the same airframe.

Comment

I wonder if they're under pressure to get something that can double as a VIP a/c and Air Ambulance too
                          The more roles the better

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                            Eh..that rarely bodes well.

As others have pointed out, a speedy VIP transport like the PC-12 is a very different beast to something like the Caravan or Kodiak.

If the chosen aircraft is deficient in military support roles because of internal or departmental pressure for speed and comfort.. well I guess it would be par for the course with the Air Corps.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                              Just like the Dauphin.
                              Army co-op, Naval operations, SAR & VIP transport.

Couldn't do any of them well.
                              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Don't forget the Cessna is a utility aircraft.

Think about, it say it is delivered at single use ISTAR aircraft and it is deployed overseas with the AC.

No MEDEVAC capability for Irish troops? Mission pulled

That capability can also be used at home for air ambulance when L45 and CASA are already tasked.

Again if deployed overseas, it is conceivable that non-bulky urgent cargo may be required to be delivered.

Comment

Working...
                                X