Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34424344
Results 1,076 to 1,084 of 1084
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Graylion View Post
    No dismounts

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Graylion View Post
    Not unless they have it in large scale production first. Those pictures are of a full scale model/mock up taken at Eurostatory in 2012. It has not been seen since, not even on Panhard's own website.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

3. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV, hptmurphy liked this post
    C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    A VAB with a turret?

Post Thanks / Like
    I've said it before, I'll say it again, I believe that the Panhard VBL would be a good option for a Recce troop, coupled with a Mowag CRV for support and the MRV's in a Support Troop. The VBL is a tested and established platform, can be fitted with a weapon and recce kit, and is lightly armored. It's also a much lower profile than the RG-32's, and would be substantially cheaper too.
    What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

6. Thanks na grohmití thanked for this post
    Likes Graylion liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ODIN View Post
    I've said it before, I'll say it again, I believe that the Panhard VBL would be a good option for a Recce troop, coupled with a Mowag CRV for support and the MRV's in a Support Troop. The VBL is a tested and established platform, can be fitted with a weapon and recce kit, and is lightly armored. It's also a much lower profile than the RG-32's, and would be substantially cheaper too.
    We trialed one a few years back, had its own limitations within the perceived roles, Main problem being not enough room for dismounts and their kit.......

Which leads me on a tangent to the ORBAT for dismounts. Assuming our model was built on the UK model ours differs significantly in that the original UK model from the 80s , the recce trps were all AFVS be, they Fox Scimitar or Scorpion....no dismount capability!
    Time for another break I think......

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    We trialed one a few years back, had its own limitations within the perceived roles, Main problem being not enough room for dismounts and their kit.......

Which leads me on a tangent to the ORBAT for dismounts. Assuming our model was built on the UK model ours differs significantly in that the original UK model from the 80s , the recce trps were all AFVS be, they Fox Scimitar or Scorpion....no dismount capability!
    Exactly. Even the AML and Scorpions were not dismount friendly platforms. This all goes back to what we want our Cavalry Corps to be, I personally feel that a troop made up of three Panhard VBL's with .5's, two Mowag CRV's with a crew of three and six dismounts would give both the mobility and flexibility for a recce troop to operate. The VBLs don't have to be dismount platforms, they can route recce forward, set up ground radar platforms, or offer light fire support to the dismounts. Given that we already have 18 CRV's in the country, adding 9-12 VBLs per squadron would give a decent capability and would be cheaper than another 27 LTAVs.

VBL unit cost ~€250K vs RG-32 Outrider unit cost of ~€725K...nearly three for the price of one there!
    Last edited by ODIN; 19th March 2018 at 00:16.
    What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

9. Thanks hptmurphy, Turkey thanked for this post
    Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post

One knocking around early nineties if I remember correctly.

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes. I recall seeing it lash up the Naas rd at full tilt one evening.

12. Thanks sofa thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This all goes back to what we want our Cavalry Corps to be,
    Very valid indeed.

I like your thinking on the make up of a recce troop . With the amount of vehicle actually available ... you probably have the makings of one squadron using the example you use, two if you thin it out a bit more with VBLs.

VBLs are still in production but the don't have the same level of protection the more modern vehicles have. Price and multiples was always something to be argued on when it came to MOWAGs, there are / were ceaper vehicles out there we could have bought and had double the amount of vehicles but with lower protection levels.

I'm not arguing with your logic I actually agree with it, but I can see where the argument against will be.
    Time for another break I think......

14. Thanks Turkey thanked for this post
    Likes ODIN, na grohmití, Graylion liked this post

Thread Information