Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Light Tactical Armoured Vehicle: Second attempt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last one ....

You have assumed recce to be an offensive posture. There is defensive recce which comes in the form of Bn Screens, Bde Guards and Division Covering Forces. A guard and a covering force are pretty large, made up of Coy (+) and Bn (+) sized forces respectively with armour being essential in both. For a covering force they also often require their own indirect fire support. A Div CF is usually at least a full Inf Bn supported with 1 x Armd Coy, 1 x Cav Sqn and Div Arty support and / or their own arty support depending on how far ahead they are operating.

So yes, MBTs form an essential element in Armd Recce.

Now I will not be responding again to someone that has zero concept of DF doctrine beyond possible infantry section level

Comment

• the Cav (with their firepower, protection, etc capabilities) can be used to “beef up” an operation if necessary as a kind of mobile FSG, fire brigade, Bde reserve..... but that isn’t by design or intent
      You'll need to refer to the 'secondary taskings 'page in the book before committing them to reserve.

Now I will not be responding again to someone that has zero concept of DF doctrine beyond possible infantry section leve
      But some of us do....given we wore the required head gear to do the job!
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• there ya go.. nice alternative LTAV with a four passenger capacity..
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
          https://www.otokar.com/en-us/product...ents/cobra.pdf

there ya go.. nice alternative LTAV with a four passenger capacity..
          It is bloody ugly, though
          'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
          'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
          Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
          He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
          http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• Looks a bit like the offspring of a mating between a Timoney and a Unimog

Comment

• This one may be more aesthetically pleasing https://www.otokar.com/en-us/product...s/cobra-ii.pdf

Comment

• That looks a bit better! (I see it's an automatic - that means my missus could drive it!) Seriously, does an automatic gearbox give any advantages in vehicles of this type?
                'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                  That looks a bit better! (I see it's an automatic - that means my missus could drive it!) Seriously, does an automatic gearbox give any advantages in vehicles of this type?
                  Not being mechanically minded enough to see how performance might be affected , the only plus I could see would be the reduction in drivers workload

Comment

• Mowag is also automatic, allows the vehicle to creep forward at about 5km/h when required. Try that on a manual (without losing a clutch).
                    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• How about the Panhard CRAB? https://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/pa...t-v-1581746120

Comment

• Originally posted by Graylion View Post
                        No dismounts

Comment

• Originally posted by Graylion View Post
                          Not unless they have it in large scale production first. Those pictures are of a full scale model/mock up taken at Eurostatory in 2012. It has not been seen since, not even on Panhard's own website.
                          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• A VAB with a turret?

Comment

• I've said it before, I'll say it again, I believe that the Panhard VBL would be a good option for a Recce troop, coupled with a Mowag CRV for support and the MRV's in a Support Troop. The VBL is a tested and established platform, can be fitted with a weapon and recce kit, and is lightly armored. It's also a much lower profile than the RG-32's, and would be substantially cheaper too.
                              What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by ODIN View Post
                                I've said it before, I'll say it again, I believe that the Panhard VBL would be a good option for a Recce troop, coupled with a Mowag CRV for support and the MRV's in a Support Troop. The VBL is a tested and established platform, can be fitted with a weapon and recce kit, and is lightly armored. It's also a much lower profile than the RG-32's, and would be substantially cheaper too.
                                We trialed one a few years back, had its own limitations within the perceived roles, Main problem being not enough room for dismounts and their kit.......

Which leads me on a tangent to the ORBAT for dismounts. Assuming our model was built on the UK model ours differs significantly in that the original UK model from the 80s , the recce trps were all AFVS be, they Fox Scimitar or Scorpion....no dismount capability!

Comment

Working...
                                X