Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Light Tactical Armoured Vehicle: Second attempt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How far is DF Cav doctrine/practice away from the UK BRF system?

what - broadly - is the doctrine and force composition that its supposed to work within: is it granular/scalable so you could have a Cav Troop working in an Inf Coy Group right up to a Cav Regiment/Bn working within an All Arms Bde formation, or is it all a bit more clunky than that?

is one of the problems that the Cav is supposed to be both creepy Forward Reece and Heavy Metal Fire Support, but with neither the people nor the gear for either?

Comment

• Originally posted by ropebag View Post
      How far is DF Cav doctrine/practice away from the UK BRF system?

what - broadly - is the doctrine and force composition that its supposed to work within: is it granular/scalable so you could have a Cav Troop working in an Inf Coy Group right up to a Cav Regiment/Bn working within an All Arms Bde formation, or is it all a bit more clunky than that?

is one of the problems that the Cav is supposed to be both creepy Forward Reece and Heavy Metal Fire Support, but with neither the people nor the gear for either?
      There is only 1 x Sqn per Inf Bde so we tend to have 1 x Tp per Bn for recce / screen type tasks
      Last edited by Fantasia; 2 March 2018, 10:34.

Comment

• Also it is part of a light inf all arms Bde, although the doctrine is there for it to be a Mech Inf Bde

Comment

• is one of the problems that the Cav is supposed to be both creepy Forward Reece and Heavy Metal Fire Support, but with neither the people nor the gear for either?
          Just about hit nail on head
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• I think people here are mixing up the difference between armoured cav and mechanised cav.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fantasia View Post
              I think people here are mixing up the difference between armoured cav and mechanised cav.
              Blank sheet of paper surely?

Firstly you need to decide what do you want to achieve - then you decide how you're going to achieve it.

It looks to me like theirs lots of titles and different concepts of operations, but all using the same assets at the same time and not a huge amount of 'big picture' what-am-i-here-for? thinking...

Comment

• We dont have armoured cav, we have mechanised cav so there cannot be any confusion

Comment

• We had one squadron of armoured cav. With the demise of the Scorpions, not sure what became of that.
                  For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• We have a Sqn that is or was called Armoured Cav but in reality they were not real armoured vehicles. In my mind at least, you need MBTs to be classed as real armoured recce. Both provide you with 4 key charcteristics and they are all a play off on each other: protection, firepower, mobility, communications.

Armoured cav had advantages but also drawbacks over mech cav: speed is compromised for off road mobility, armour is bloody heavy and needs routes capable of carrying 50T vs 18T, a 120mm cannon provides a lot of firepower against hard targets but is useless against infantry in the open, MBTs are vulnerable and need a lot of protection from infantry.

For our purposes and doctrine, Mech Cav is more than sufficient

Comment

• Ok a MBT isn’t armoured recce it is heavy armour (found in a UK Armoured Regt or a US Armoured Bn (although they do a combined Armour/Armd Inf Bn). It can be used for recce yes (as can a Nissan Patrol).

In the UK, a Armd Recce Regt is equipped with Scimitar (Ajax in the future), in the US they are equipped with Styker (not 100% sure some may have Bradley).

The UK also have Light Cav Regts equipped with Jackal (there maybe some US ones with HUMVVS).

The armour on our MOWAGs is not in the public domain but it would be at least similar to the CRV(T).

1ACS have MRVs (and I think CRVs and LTAVs).

due to our light infantry ORBAT (with some Mech Inf capability), the Cav (with their firepower, protection, etc capabilities) can be used to “beef up” an operation if necessary as a kind of mobile FSG, fire brigade, Bde reserve..... but that isn’t by design or intent
                      Last edited by DeV; 3 March 2018, 13:16.

Comment

• 1 ACS doesn't "HAVE" MRVs. Every cav unit has them, as required. We have 6. (Per Wiki). We also have 18 CRVs. Sometimes they are in Cork, sometimes they are in Dublin, sometimes they are in DFTC.
                        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Any idiot that puts their cav in the reserve has absolutely no idea what they are talking about!

I will go out on a limb here and say that most people here are completely unaware of DF doctine beyond Pl level. Some of us do. Interpret that as you will

Comment

Any idiot that puts their cav in the reserve has absolutely no idea what they are talking about!

I will go out on a limb here and say that most people here are completely unaware of DF doctine beyond Pl level. Some of us do. Interpret that as you will
                            Did I say it was doctrine

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                              Did I say it was doctrine
                              no, instead you again highlighted that you just make this stuff up as you go along.

I wont be responding again as I will not be able to restrain myself from getting personal

Comment

no, instead you again highlighted that you just make this stuff up as you go along.

I wont be responding again as I will not be able to restrain myself from getting personal
                                Made up like MBTs being Armd Recce

You also ignored the last part of my post
                                Last edited by DeV; 3 March 2018, 22:38.

Comment

Working...
                                X