Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Light Tactical Armoured Vehicle: Second attempt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
    It screams AML. In a good way. My only concern is how the crew seating and the M242 works.
    I seem to remember that the issue at the time the AMLs were replaced was that there wasn't anything to replace them with along with their age. This new AML product as, na grohmiti said, screams AML, a modern version of something that worked for a long time. There is also the fact that there are 3 squadrons on the Orbat with about enough vehicles for one. It might be hover tank territory in regards to getting these, but personally, I think they'd fill a gap.
    What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by ODIN View Post
      How about a two squadrons worth of these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POEU0gchYIM for 1 and 2 Cav, and leave 1 ACS with the LTAVs and some Mowags for heavier work?

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/pan...t-v-1581746120
      Its a technology demonstrator, hasn't been ordered by the french, and thus we'd have to pay a lot of the development costs.

The french have just put their project scorpion into development and it should be fielded around 2021, essentially two vehicles, The VBMR Griffon, which will supplement the VBCI and replace the VAB and VBL, while the Jaguar which will replace the AMX-10/ERC-90, again from 2021. Given that is where the French are spending their money i doubt if they're ever going to order the crab.

Honestl, unlress somebody like the Saudi's with lots of money comes alomg i doubt if the CRAB will ever move on from being a technology demonstrator.
      Last edited by paul g; 16 December 2014, 14:53.

Comment

• There is also the fact that there are 3 squadrons on the Orbat with about enough vehicles for one. It might be hover tank territory in regards to getting these, but personally, I think they'd fill a gap
        I think the DF have moved on from the requirement by better utilizing what they have.Even back in the day the published requirement for a standard Cavalry squadron was never met by the total number of AMLs available.

One full strenght squadron , fully equipped squadron available with the the other two rotating through the role on an annual basis is probably the ideal, but is the DF open to that type of idea?
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• If your not doing it all the time !?

Buy 10 vehicles, 4 overseas, 4 for overseas training, 1 goes tech, your left with 1

Comment

• Although it's Waltering a bit, how about "re-inforced" cavalry squadrons for each brigade? Say four troops of 4 vehicles each, or 3 troops of 6 of your main Recce Troop vehicles, backed up with approx the same number of LTAVs? Common main weapons for each vehicle, say something like the Samson RCWS-30 or similar used on some Czech Pandurs (30mm cannon, 7.62mm GPMG plus say Javelin in place of Spike) - if you wanted to go something a little lower profile that the turret used on the current MRVs. Although this much firepower might be a bit much for the CRV + MRV combo roles; maybe something for future capabilities? Sorry, has probably been mentioned before - probably around the time those vehicles were first acquired - but just something to throw into the mix.

P.S. With the conversion of some (11?) of the infantry APCs to CRVs with RWS's for one of the Cavalry Regiments, will those conversions + the 15 original CRV and MRV vechicles, not provide enough cars for 2 Squadrons?

P.P.S. For the 3rd squadron (1 ACS) - I'd be aligned for the "reinforced" squadron size with larger gun based vehicle for both cavalry support and independent actions. Definitely Waltering now.

Comment

• There looks set to be a 3rd LTAV competition

LTAV replacement project has been announced under National Development Plan

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                There looks set to be a 3rd LTAV competition

LTAV replacement project has been announced under National Development Plan
                Can you link to it?

Comment

• Originally posted by northie View Post
                  Can you link to it?

Page 96

Comment

• Is there something wrong with the current LTAV that we didnt buy the other 27 that were on option

Comment

• Originally posted by apc View Post
                      Is there something wrong with the current LTAV that we didnt buy the other 27 that were on option
                      Other than that they are shite?

Crap build quality. No 2 LTAVs were wired the same

Comment

• Originally posted by Fantasia View Post

honestly i didnt know that. Is that because they were a new design. Should we go for something like the Mowag Eagle etc that are already in use

Comment

• Originally posted by apc View Post
                          honestly i didnt know that. Is that because they were a new design. Should we go for something like the Mowag Eagle etc that are already in use
                          No it is because they were built by BAE in South Africa who had a policy of employing people with no skills on a rotating door policy for political reasons to keep unemployment figures down

Comment

• Nothing new about the design really.
                            We just needed to buy something that was in widespread use around the world. Unfortunately at the time the LTAV concept was still new, and many lessons were still being learnt in Iraq and Afghanistan.
                            The UK at the same time selected the Iveco Lince version, and this was questioned at the time. However the UK have since modified it to be what is now known as Panther. Many of the roles that the Panther was supposed to fill will instead now be filled by the MRV-P (possibly Oshkosh L-ATV).
                            It seems though that the biggest problem with our LTAV in the RG32-M is that Ireland is the only user of that particular version. We were the launch customer, and that has never served us well in the past either.
                            Last edited by na grohmiti; 18 February 2018, 21:29.
                            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fantasia View Post

Would it be feasible to rebuild what we already have to a serviceable vehicle rather than go through the whole process of buying more shite?
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                                Would it be feasible to rebuild what we already have to a serviceable vehicle rather than go through the whole process of buying more shite?
                                Most of them have been fixed as much as can be at this stage.

I have not worked with them too recently so maybe they are getting some use but I didnt see them get too many miles on the clock in UNIFIL

Comment

Working...
                                X