Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Land Rovers making a return?

[Mod: Split from LTAV part deux]

I think you can forget about any panhard related products..army tied them selves up in knots with Panhard contracts for 30 years..they won't go down that road again..any VBL was tested 15 years ago..two small it was intended to replace the AML in the recce role.The cavs comitment to CTR has turned the requirement on its head..so bigger vehicle that VBL type needed.

on similar note...loks like our new general service vehicle and FFRs will be a land Rover product..so the word on the street is.
    Last edited by Barry; 19 April 2007, 20:15.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Would CIT operations be a consideration in the selection of these vehicles?
    Or would we be sticking with the existing setup at the moment (namely 4 WD's)?

Murph, heard a couple of months that a Land Rover vehicle (type unknown to my source) was being trialled.

Can someone enlighten me why we went from Land Rover to Nissan in the 90's?
    Cost? Reliability? All of the above?

I didn't hold an AF154 at that point, so such things didn't bother me.

And if this was the reason why we changed in the first instance, is it that Land Rover have gotten their act together and produced a superior product?
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
      And if this was the reason why we changed in the first instance, is it that Land Rover have gotten their act together and produced a superior product?
      Or maybe that the newer Nissans (the civvy ones painted green, complete with carpeting, CD players and chrome bumpers) are very much unsuited to the job?

Comment

The "Chrome" grill on the Nissan 06 models is just soo tactical....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
          The "Chrome" grill on the Nissan 06 models is just soo tactical....
          It's the latest in Gucci Anti Radiation eqiupment.
          Meh.

Comment

I did see a review of the "New" Defender recently which said that while it looks the same as the old one, internally it is far superior in terms of performance, efficiency and comfort.

Plus, it just looks right.

Also its one of the few Modern 4x4s that still has a "Jesus bar"

Comment

So they may be going back to Landies?......good, theres just something more...military about LR, not that the older vehicles used are not good, but just from an asthetic viewpoint
              Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

Can someone enlighten me why we went from Land Rover to Nissan in the 90's?
                Cost? Reliability? All of the above?
                wasn't it that they originally had Mark III's which were very very good vehicles, then when they were replacing them,. they decided to go for the Land rover 110's as a logical thing, but apparently the 110's were not up to the same level as the old III's, multiple problems with engines, breaks ect, so they were replaced.
                Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

Due to cutbacks DF are now going this option

"The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Land Rover didn't provide a "suitable" hard skin back when they were being phased out in the early 90s, to be replaced by the Land Cruiser first, and then the Patrol. Both of which were far more agricultural than their modern successor. In fact, at the time both resembled the current Defender. The last Land Rovers we had were basically Pickups with a hard roof (Locally Modified I believe) and bench seats. The change coincided with the change from Petrol to Diesel.

The 110 of the early 90s had terrible brakes, and the brake lines were prone to corrossion.

Comment

any pics of the shiney 06 nissans?
                      Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

reliability....cost all ahve been considerations..the origianl nissans gave both of these where the 110 landys were overpriced and far too basic for CIT s etc....Army has a tenedency to buy what is commercially available off the shelf...land rover vehicles were not practical for internal security ops while the nissan vehicles fail in tactical role.

There may be a need to subdivide the category again but cost will define future GS type vehicles
                        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                          Or maybe that the newer Nissans (the civvy ones painted green, complete with carpeting, CD players and chrome bumpers) are very much unsuited to the job?
                          Quel surprise ! The damn things are like bouncy castles over rough ground
                          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Yeah as nice as it would be to see them replace every nissan straight off, i can only imagine that the cost would be astronomical, anyone any idea how many nissan's we have?
                            Blog

WHAT FLIES DIES

Comment

I spoke to a off rod type off lad and his opinion was that the Toyotya land Crusier was the best off road 4X4 around even superior to land rovers!
                              Would it not be better to go with the best rather than someting that looks the part?
                              Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

Working...
                              X