Page 55 of 55 FirstFirst ... 545535455
Results 1,351 to 1,355 of 1355

Thread: Modern Pirates

  1. #1351
    Fried Squid Orion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Osborne's Very Very Broke Island
    Posts
    1,013
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sofa View Post
    As I said, they were Norman French. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/norman
    Vikings matey

  2. #1352
    Fried Squid Orion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Osborne's Very Very Broke Island
    Posts
    1,013
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sofa View Post
    As I said, they were Norman French. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/norman
    Wiki Wiki Wiki ...

  3. #1353
    Hostage Flamingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Over the water
    Posts
    2,669
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hate to interupt a good arguement, and indeed the vikings were pirates I'm sure, but is there a certain degree of thread drift here (of which I'm guilty to a degree as well)...
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

  4. #1354
    Colonel
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    moving rapidly away.......
    Posts
    2,316
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    I hate to interupt a good arguement, and indeed the vikings were pirates I'm sure, but is there a certain degree of thread drift here (of which I'm guilty to a degree as well)...
    The thread was never totally relevant to the NS anyway, but it may become so in the future, so a little drift is far from inexcusable...
    "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
    Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

  5. #1355
    C/S
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    305
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkey View Post
    The thread was never totally relevant to the NS anyway, but it may become so in the future, so a little drift is far from inexcusable...
    The Vikings were, as we know great seamen and boat builders. They lived mainly on the coastal strip of a long country Norway. They may have been piratical at first but they also became plunderers and tended to bed down in the areas plundered like Dublin, Faroes, Iceland, and further afield. They ultimately also became explorers and settlers as a consequence. No different to the voyages of acquisition of all maritime nations. I think the Vikings were only 5% Pirates !!!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •