Modern Pirates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
    Not saying it is the cause but how many countries in Africa were created by the West drawing a line on a map?

How many tribes were separated or forced together to form a "country"
    Not saying it is the cause but how many countries in Europe were created by the West drawing a line on a map?

We used to run around painted blue and attacking each other with spears but we got over it.
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
      Not saying it is the cause but how many countries in Europe were created by the West drawing a line on a map?

We used to run around painted blue and attacking each other with spears but we got over it.

Glad you think so.

Comment

Erm.... quite a few. Belgum, Switzerland, Germany, Poland, France, just to name a few that were either created by external powers, or had their frontiers signifincanty redrawn over the past two hundred years.

Part of the problem with Africa is the number of people outside it prepared to make bullshit excuses for a basic lack of governance by the Africans themselves.
        Last edited by Flamingo; 29 August 2015, 15:15.
        'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
        'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
        Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
        He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
        http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• Somalia is clan warfare to a medieval level and for years, the only thing that functioned was the remnants of Italian occupation, such as decent roads and a phone system. The rest is savagery conducted by themselves on themselves. Interestingly, when they form communities abroad, they behave much better, usually on threat of deportation back to Somalia. They also insist on perpetuating horrors like FGM in their communities. I have no sympathy for Somali gunmen, as you may have gathered.

Comment

• I would recommend reading "The Monopoly of Violence - why Europeans hate going to war" by James sheehan.

Maybe Africa needs to go through an industrial scale war to get the message

Comment

• A good book on Africa and why it has turned out like its has is

'The State of Africa'
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by Galloglass View Post
                Glad you think so.
                I'm glad you're glad.
                Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

What a trite comment, we did not get over it.

We were invaded and colonised. We ultimately adopted or integrated the newcomers ways in terms of social structure and legal systems. The influences were Viking, Norman and what we now refer to as British, although that would once have been English. The development of Irish society with its own distinct legal and social structure was not gotten over . It was supplanted by external influences.

European colonies in Africa existed to generate wealth for the Imperial states, nothing more, nothing less. No investment in local society or culture, the savages wouldn't understand.

Also not enough foresight to realise that one day the colonial power would no longer be there. A trait echoed in the planning of a number of recent military operations in the Middle East and North Africa.
                  Last edited by Orion; 29 August 2015, 22:22.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Orion;432053]What a trite comment, we did not get over it.

We were invaded and colonised. We ultimately adopted or integrated the newcomers ways in terms of social structure and legal systems. The influences were Viking, Norman and what we now refer to as British, although that would once have been English. The development of Irish society with its own distinct legal and social structure was not gotten over . It was supplanted by external influences.

This Island was ripe for the taken by the Norman French because it was full of warlords chasing each other up and down the place with clubs, there was no budding legal system or so called social structure worth keeping, Just might is right. The Celtic society never existed in Ireland, it was a late 19th century invention to make the Irish think they were completely different from there Norman French overlords,

Comment

• Originally posted by sofa View Post
                      This Island was ripe for the taken by the Norman French because it was full of warlords chasing each other up and down the place with clubs, there was no budding legal system or so called social structure worth keeping, Just might is right. The Celtic society never existed in Ireland, it was a late 19th century invention to make the Irish think they were completely different from there Norman French overlords,
                      I was tempted to respond with the comment "Ill informed BOLLIX" but I won't because that has earned me a ban previously.

So there were no hill forts, Newgrange doesn't exist, the hill of Tara has no significance and the battle of Clontarf never happened. Sounds like colonial revisionism to me.

Cool I got ya .....

.. and the Book of Kells ???
                      Last edited by Orion; 29 August 2015, 23:13.

Comment

• Originally posted by sofa View Post
                        This Island was ripe for the taken by the Norman French
                        The Normans were not French. They were descendants of Viking raiders settled in France.

Comment

• Originally posted by Orion View Post
                          I was tempted to respond with the comment "Ill informed BOLLIX" but I won't because that has earned me a ban previously.

So there were no hill forts, Newgrange doesn't exist, the hill of Tara has no significance and the battle of Clontarf never happened. Sounds like colonial revisionism to me.

Cool I got ya .....

.. and the Book of Kells ???
                          https://frivolousendeavour.wordpress...e-celtic-myth/

Enjoy

Comment

• frivolous says it all really - wiki is as wiki does ....

Tell me about Columba, Iona, Lindisfarne and the Ardagh chalice and when you can you will tell me about Ireland pre colonisation.

Your posts smack of Victorian propaganda matey.
                            Last edited by Orion; 30 August 2015, 00:10.

Comment

frivolous says it all really - wiki is as wiki does ....

Tell me about Columba, Iona, Lindisfarne and the Ardagh chalice and when you can you will tell me about Ireland pre colonisation.

Your posts smack of Victorian propaganda matey.
                              All connected to monks, A small bunch of lads who had to build Round towers to protect themselves from the Irish and then the Vikings when they turned up, More Roman artifacts have being found here then Celt,

Wiki. ??

Comment

The Normans were not French. They were descendants of Viking raiders settled in France.
                                As I said, they were Norman French. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/norman
                                Last edited by sofa; 30 August 2015, 00:49.

Comment

Working...
                                X