Modern Pirates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Read the thread title.
    Thanks Fred, I know what the thread is about. The fact is that the Indo etc are trying to link ARW storming ships of the coast to future anti piracy operations. It's nothing to do with anti piracy, nothing more than standard MCT training.
    The fact that you think that this info has nothing to do with the debate taking place seems more to do with the fact that you don't want the ARW skills in MCT extolled in anyway.

Comment

• OK, an outsider question and perhaps opsec - but is damage control better on the CPV's than the OPV's?

Or is it a much of a muchness if either of them gets thumped by an RPG?

Comment

• Originally posted by Flintstone View Post
        Congratulations, have another pint.
        Won't need it. It'll be a dry trip

Comment

• Would it not make economic sense, to send a small autonomous element like the ARW, used to living in austere conditions and who would have a small logistical footprint? As opposed to a NS boat and full complement of sea hags?

Comment

• Originally posted by pym View Post
            OK, an outsider question and perhaps opsec - but is damage control better on the CPV's than the OPV's?

Or is it a much of a muchness if either of them gets thumped by an RPG?
            A very good question.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flintstone View Post
              The difference is two knots which when you compare range of 2500 v 6000 miles makes it a no contest. However it will not be us who decides which ship would be best suited.

As regards what is a warship might I refer you to the internationally accepted definition which is contained in article 29 of UNCLOS ( I copied and pasted it below to save you looking
              Article 29 Definition of warships
              For the purposes of this Convention, "warship" means a ship belonging to the armed forces of a State bearing the external marks distinguishing such ships of its nationality, under the command of an officer duly commissioned by the government of the State and whose name appears in the appropriate service list or itsequivalent, and manned by a crew which is under regular armed forces discipline.

I stand corrected. The difference is actually 7 knots . Max 30 vs Max 23??

Definition of a warship my arse. By those criteria you could launch a currach into the Indian Ocean and have a warship.
              Last edited by Jetjock; 22 September 2012, 06:40.

Comment

• Originally posted by fiannoglach View Post
                Won't need it. It'll be a dry trip
                You must be bored if you're looking forward to this one. A complete waste of the ARWs capabilities an training IMHO. They are being use as a pawn by the COS to counter a move by FOCNS. He should have more respect for his finest asset.

Comment

• I would say that the CPVs air con was changed years ago, they also would be limited to areas relatively close to shore.

This is an EU mission so we have to fund the full cost! Patrol days have already been cut!

According to the Minister, AVPDs have been requested.

With regard to the building of the vessels. I think it may be classifications or something.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                    I would say that the CPVs air con was changed years ago, they also would be limited to areas relatively close to shore. Wow, does different aircon limit operational range?

This is an EU mission so we have to fund the full cost! Patrol days have already been cut! International piracy is increasing the cost of shipping, driving worldwide inflation up. Its in our best interests in the long term
                    According to the Minister, AVPDs have been requested. That's all he's been told about by the Army in DFHQ

With regard to the building of the vessels. I think it may be classifications or something.If you don't know the answer, why bother commenting? The answer above was already given
                    Somtimes dev i wonder why you bother.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• So do I goldie!

The CPVs were designed for use in Hong Kong, a lot of the original equipment would have been replaced in the last 20+ years.

Their displacement and endurance limits their use, at a time when pirates are using mother ships to get out further into the Indian Ocean.

You are quite correct about the cost of shipping but the short term problem is the Governments problem, think bunkering costs, crew rotation costs, naval pay, patrol duty allowance, peace support allowance and armed peace support allowance.

Everything I have ever read about the OPVs, LPVs and HPV says they are build to civilian standards not military.

Comment

• Originally posted by fiannoglach View Post
                        Would it not make economic sense, to send a small autonomous element like the ARW, used to living in austere conditions and who would have a small logistical footprint? As opposed to a NS boat and full complement of sea hags?

Have a bit of respect bud!.
                        Dont see anybody here being derogatory in realtion to Army personel.....

By the way its a SHIP not a BOAT.....

Comment

• JJ, are you really confused about what constitutes a warship? The RN says not below 2000T? I guess all those old frigate/corvette/destroyer/sloop crews might beg to differ. I can see it now; "on which we serve-part II". Noel Coward comes out to address the crew, "sorry, lads, you've been had. You were never on a warship, just a boat. No seagoing pay, no fillies hanging out of you in harbour, thinking you were tough fightin'men, etc,etc"

regards
                          GttC

Comment

• Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                            The RN says not below 2000T?
                            Where do they say that?

Comment

• Originally posted by Schmigs View Post
                              Where do they say that?
                              Same place where it says a garda can only arrest you if he's wearing his hat, and nigerians get free buggys from the social.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post

Everything I have ever read about the OPVs, LPVs and HPV says they are build to civilian standards not military.
                                What have you read?

Comment

Working...
                                X