Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by A/TEL View Post

By the way its a SHIP not a BOAT.....

Ah yeah..The boat thing gets them every time.

On a more serious note, could we not just send one of our super stealth submarines?
    Oh wait......

Comment

• Originally posted by fiannoglach View Post
      Ah yeah..The boat thing gets them every time.

On a more serious note, could we not just send one of our super stealth submarines?
      Oh wait......

We arent the organisation being re-org'd

Army finding it hard to justify themselves, standby for more cuts to the brigades in 2013!!!!

The P60s would be well able for the anti-piracy job. If the COS or DCOS was a Naval officer it could be a reality!

Comment

• Originally posted by A/TEL View Post
        We arent the organisation being re-org'd

Army finding it hard to justify themselves, standby for more cuts to the brigades in 2013!!!!

The P60s would be well able for the anti-piracy job. If the COS or DCOS was a Naval officer it could be a reality!

Yeah, and if the Naval Service (A real navy has an admiral) could do their job we wouln't have to...

Comment

Yeah, and if the Naval Service (A real navy has an admiral) could do their job we wouln't have to...
          possibly is meant in jest but cop on and grow up, not the place for it IMHO

Comment

• The reason the Navy doesn't have an admiral is because the army won't let him become one.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
              What have you read?
              It is very well documented that Deirdre was based on a trawler design

The 3 other OPVs were improved versions of Deirdre based on the same design.

STX were involved in the design of the LPVs:

STX Canada Marine's philosophy is to design the ship to relevant commercial standards, fit a weapons system as appropriate, as well as simplifying the ship design, material procurement and construction phases.
              To quote the STX website.

Comment

• That's one "source" dev.

Have you ever heard of NEVESBU?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tadpole View Post
                  Thanks Fred, I know what the thread is about. The fact is that the Indo etc are trying to link ARW storming ships of the coast to future anti piracy operations. It's nothing to do with anti piracy, nothing more than standard MCT training.
                  The fact that you think that this info has nothing to do with the debate taking place seems more to do with the fact that you don't want the ARW skills in MCT extolled in anyway.
                  The Indo article had no basis in reality, regardless of where it was getting its info. The job that we are discussing is for armed guards on WFP ships to protect them against pirate attack.

Comment

• Originally posted by pym View Post
                    OK, an outsider question and perhaps opsec - but is damage control better on the CPV's than the OPV's?

Or is it a much of a muchness if either of them gets thumped by an RPG?
                    Ask anyone who has walked through them on an open day. Much of a muchness.

Naval ships haven't tried to keep ordnance out for almost a century. It is about limiting the damage that it does when it gets in.

Comment

Would it not make economic sense, to send a small autonomous element like the ARW, used to living in austere conditions and who would have a small logistical footprint? As opposed to a NS boat and full complement of sea hags?
                      I will treat your question as a serious one despite the insulting manner in which it is framed.
                      Ireland was asked for a ship and as an addition an AVPD. An AVPD will only deliver on one of the thre tasks of Op ATALANTA, while a ship can deliver on all three. Far from having a small logistical footprint, if the AVPD is not based on a ship it will have to be based ashore with the requirement for considerable logs support.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jetjock View Post
                        I stand corrected. The difference is actually 7 knots . Max 30 vs Max 23??

Definition of a warship my arse. By those criteria you could launch a currach into the Indian Ocean and have a warship.
                        There is no need to adopt that tone.

Tell me when a CPVS did 30 knots or give me a link to prove me wrong.

Never mind what you think a warship is. I have just given you the internationally accepted definition from the UN but you probably know better.

The definition in UNCLOS refers to a ship. The last time I checked a currach was not a ship.

Comment

Since you raised the subject, what is the difference between a naval service and a navy. I'll give you a hint. It has nothing to do with the rank of the commanding officer.

Comment

• There are a number of vessels operating in the area that could accommodate an Irish AVPD.

Personally I would like to see an Irish OPV being contributed, so long as:
                            - it is properly resourced with personnel, equipment and material
                            - that ops in the Irish EEZ can still be maintained at their current level (at least)
                            - the vessel is deemed suitable for the task

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                              There are a number of vessels operating in the area that could accommodate an Irish AVPD.

Personally I would like to see an Irish OPV being contributed, so long as:
                              - it is properly resourced with personnel, equipment and material
                              - that ops in the Irish EEZ can still be maintained at their current level (at least)
                              - the vessel is deemed suitable for the task
                              Must we go cap in hand to another nation to accommodate an Irish AVPD? They might be accomodating personnel of their own. Space on warships is at a premium.

I also would like to see an Irish ship in the High Risk Area protecting world shipping and merchant seafarers. Regarding your caveats,
                              -it is almost insulting to the professionalism of our navy to suggest that it would deploy a ship to any operation without being properly resourced
                              - ops in our AO would see a reduction. It would be a political decision to weigh up a reduction in our AO versus involvement in an international operation with implications for our national interest.
                              - trust me, the the P51 class is eminently suitable to the task. Northwood would love one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flintstone View Post
                                Must we go cap in hand to another nation to accommodate an Irish AVPD? They might be accomodating personnel of their own. Space on warships is at a premium.
                                You haven't a clue how a AVPD will operate do you. An AVPD does not operate from any naval ship.

Comment

Working...
                                X