Thanks Thanks:  107
Likes Likes:  262
Dislikes Dislikes:  38
Page 54 of 56 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 1397

Thread: Modern Pirates

Post Thanks / Like
    Well in the EUNAVFOR Somalia AO (ie the western Indian Ocean), there was only 1 attempted attack in 2014 and none in 2015 so far.

That is not to say that if the forces of all nations were withdrawn that it would stay that way for long.

I would argue that an Irish participation should be limited to say 2-3 AVPDs (approx a pln)

In the medium to long term we may be better putting the resources into EUCAP Nestor
    Last edited by DeV; 28th June 2015 at 10:12.

Post Thanks / Like

ESPS Galicia, ARC 7 De Agosto Meet off Somalia

On Saturday 22 August, ESPS Galicia rendezvoused with ARC 7 De Agosto off the coast of Somalia as part of the Colombian warship’s collaboration with Operation Atalanta.

Whilst carrying out a replenishment at sea (RAS) of stores and food, the EU Force Commander, Rear Admiral Alfonso Fernández Gómez de Córdoba, and members of ESPS Galicia’s crew were flown on board ARC 7 De Agosto by the Colombian warship’s Augusta Bell 412 helicopter.

Since the start of the collaboration, the Colombian warship has worked with the EU Naval Force to help protect World Food Programme (WFP) vessels and vulnerable shipping along the Somali coastline and also to deter acts of piracy in the Gulf of Aden.

Colombian Navy on EU mission, shows how strapped EU are for assets. Good Fassmer OPV design also.

http://navaltoday.com/2015/08/25/esp...t-off-somalia/

3. Thanks Sarsfield, na grohmití thanked for this post
    Likes Herald liked this post
    Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    Why not just give them a fishing line, desalination kit and a pair of oars, stripping the boat of everything else.
    Cause at the end of the day, globalisation and the profit each and every one of us in the western world benefited from, has caused this to the Somalis.

5. Likes Galloglass liked this post
    Sergeant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Napp View Post
    Cause at the end of the day, globalisation and the profit each and every one of us in the western world benefited from, has caused this to the Somalis.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Somalis ripped their country apart during the civil war without any help from the West. We tried to help them, and they ended up dragging dead Americans through the streets naked. Only themselves to blame for their s#*thole of a country in my opinion.
    Last edited by tomh903; 28th August 2015 at 18:03.

7. Likes Flamingo, 25 pounder, sofa liked this post
    Non Temetis Messor The real Jack's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh903 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Somalis ripped their country apart during the civil war without any help from the West. We tried to help them, and they ended up dragging dead Americans through the streets naked. Only themselves to blame for their s#*thole of a country in my opinion.
    Meddling by the US & USSR hardly set them up for a utopian existence at the end of the Cold war.
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

9. Likes DeV, Galloglass, gibedepusib0ss liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh903 View Post
    Colonisation didn't help

11. Likes Galloglass liked this post
    Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Colonisation didn't help
    Most Counties in Europe have had there fair share of world wars, Colonization, invasion and re invasion, Borders redrawn, Recently created

Africa's problem is not the white man, it's tribal savagery. Dumb b£4$ters drove the white man out along with there skills.

Post Thanks / Like
    Colonisation didn't help
    In fairness, and I agree its a valid argument........

How long should former colonists be guilted into helping their former colonies?
    To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

14. Likes The real Jack, Flamingo liked this post
    BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey look at the USA. How messed up is that Colony!?

Post Thanks / Like
    Not saying it is the cause but how many countries in Africa were created by the West drawing a line on a map?

How many tribes were separated or forced together to form a "country"

Post Thanks / Like
    Not saying it is the cause but how many countries in Africa were created by the West drawing a line on a map?

Not saying it is the cause but how many countries in Europe were created by the West drawing a line on a map?

We used to run around painted blue and attacking each other with spears but we got over it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The real Jack View Post
    Not saying it is the cause but how many countries in Europe were created by the West drawing a line on a map?

We used to run around painted blue and attacking each other with spears but we got over it.

Glad you think so.

Post Thanks / Like

Erm.... quite a few. Belgum, Switzerland, Germany, Poland, France, just to name a few that were either created by external powers, or had their frontiers signifincanty redrawn over the past two hundred years.

Part of the problem with Africa is the number of people outside it prepared to make bullshit excuses for a basic lack of governance by the Africans themselves.
    Last edited by Flamingo; 29th August 2015 at 15:15.
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

20. Likes sofa, hptmurphy, The real Jack liked this post
    C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Somalia is clan warfare to a medieval level and for years, the only thing that functioned was the remnants of Italian occupation, such as decent roads and a phone system. The rest is savagery conducted by themselves on themselves. Interestingly, when they form communities abroad, they behave much better, usually on threat of deportation back to Somalia. They also insist on perpetuating horrors like FGM in their communities. I have no sympathy for Somali gunmen, as you may have gathered.

22. Thanks Sarsfield thanked for this post
    Likes Flamingo, hptmurphy, HavocIRL liked this post
    BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would recommend reading "The Monopoly of Violence - why Europeans hate going to war" by James sheehan.

Maybe Africa needs to go through an industrial scale war to get the message

24. Likes Flamingo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    A good book on Africa and why it has turned out like its has is

'The State of Africa'
    Just visiting

26. Thanks sofa, TangoSierra thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Galloglass View Post
    Glad you think so.
    I'm glad you're glad.

28. Likes Galloglass liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What a trite comment, we did not get over it.

We were invaded and colonised. We ultimately adopted or integrated the newcomers ways in terms of social structure and legal systems. The influences were Viking, Norman and what we now refer to as British, although that would once have been English. The development of Irish society with its own distinct legal and social structure was not gotten over . It was supplanted by external influences.

European colonies in Africa existed to generate wealth for the Imperial states, nothing more, nothing less. No investment in local society or culture, the savages wouldn't understand.

Also not enough foresight to realise that one day the colonial power would no longer be there. A trait echoed in the planning of a number of recent military operations in the Middle East and North Africa.
    Last edited by Orion; 29th August 2015 at 22:22.

Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Orion;432053]What a trite comment, we did not get over it.

We were invaded and colonised. We ultimately adopted or integrated the newcomers ways in terms of social structure and legal systems. The influences were Viking, Norman and what we now refer to as British, although that would once have been English. The development of Irish society with its own distinct legal and social structure was not gotten over . It was supplanted by external influences.

This Island was ripe for the taken by the Norman French because it was full of warlords chasing each other up and down the place with clubs, there was no budding legal system or so called social structure worth keeping, Just might is right. The Celtic society never existed in Ireland, it was a late 19th century invention to make the Irish think they were completely different from there Norman French overlords,

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sofa View Post
    This Island was ripe for the taken by the Norman French because it was full of warlords chasing each other up and down the place with clubs, there was no budding legal system or so called social structure worth keeping, Just might is right. The Celtic society never existed in Ireland, it was a late 19th century invention to make the Irish think they were completely different from there Norman French overlords,
    I was tempted to respond with the comment "Ill informed BOLLIX" but I won't because that has earned me a ban previously.

So there were no hill forts, Newgrange doesn't exist, the hill of Tara has no significance and the battle of Clontarf never happened. Sounds like colonial revisionism to me.

Cool I got ya .....

.. and the Book of Kells ???
    Last edited by Orion; 29th August 2015 at 23:13.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sofa View Post
    This Island was ripe for the taken by the Norman French
    The Normans were not French. They were descendants of Viking raiders settled in France.

Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    I was tempted to respond with the comment "Ill informed BOLLIX" but I won't because that has earned me a ban previously.

So there were no hill forts, Newgrange doesn't exist, the hill of Tara has no significance and the battle of Clontarf never happened. Sounds like colonial revisionism to me.

Cool I got ya .....

.. and the Book of Kells ???
    https://frivolousendeavour.wordpress...e-celtic-myth/

Enjoy

Post Thanks / Like
    frivolous says it all really - wiki is as wiki does ....

Tell me about Columba, Iona, Lindisfarne and the Ardagh chalice and when you can you will tell me about Ireland pre colonisation.

Your posts smack of Victorian propaganda matey.
    Last edited by Orion; 30th August 2015 at 00:10.

Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    frivolous says it all really - wiki is as wiki does ....

Tell me about Columba, Iona, Lindisfarne and the Ardagh chalice and when you can you will tell me about Ireland pre colonisation.

Your posts smack of Victorian propaganda matey.
    All connected to monks, A small bunch of lads who had to build Round towers to protect themselves from the Irish and then the Vikings when they turned up, More Roman artifacts have being found here then Celt,

Wiki. ??

Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Normans were not French. They were descendants of Viking raiders settled in France.
    As I said, they were Norman French. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/norman
    Last edited by sofa; 30th August 2015 at 00:49.

Thread Information