Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NS RIB Tender

Post Thanks / Like

More Deltas?

I see on the Government tenders website, a contract has been awarded to provide the NS with a further quantity of 7m Delta RIBs with Inboard Diesel engines, as fitted to L.E Eithne. Its Commanding Officer referred to them as "Jaguars" During the Voyage diary of Eithnes trip to south america.
    I can only assume that this fine craft will become the standard RIB in the Naval service as the earlier Ships, with their smaller seariders, are retired. Combined with the Caley Davit, it makes boarding operations a lot simpler for the crew.
    The fuel choice also makes things a lot simpler when it comes to storing fuel aboard ship.

http://www.deltapower.co.uk/

Post Thanks / Like
    ah seariders..i assume you mean 5.4 metre avon semi rigid inflatables...lol..ouch....
    Last edited by hptmurphy; 11th July 2006 at 16:25.
    Time for another break I think......

Custom User Title
    Post Thanks / Like
    good post,..nice pix.

Intelligence Officer The Blue Max's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are these the same type of rigids that NS had in Easter Parade with the FN Mag mounted on the front?
    British officer: You're seven minutes late, Mr. Collins.
    Michael Collins: You've kept us waiting 700 years. You can have your seven minutes.

[As the British flag comes down]

Michael Collins: So that's what all the bother was about.

Post Thanks / Like
    No.

The boats you speak of have twin 70hp Outboards, and the Console is located in the centre of the boat, in front of the frame that attaches to the Caley.

Compare that to the Diesel inboard of the Jaguar in the photos above , and the console located to the rear, in front of the A Frame

Thanks to Joshua for the photos.

Intelligence Officer The Blue Max's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for quick response.

Would it be possible to operate these type of rigids from the eithne or Roisin class rigid loading system?
    British officer: You're seven minutes late, Mr. Collins.
    Michael Collins: You've kept us waiting 700 years. You can have your seven minutes.

[As the British flag comes down]

Michael Collins: So that's what all the bother was about.

Post Thanks / Like

They are L.E. NIAMH's Deltas

The Delta in the photo is L.E. NIAMH's. The black tube Deltas are P52, the grey tube Deltas are P51 (both with twin 70hp petrol engines). The inboard diesels are P31's. Attached are some photos of the Deltas inserting the Recce Team into Monrovia in Oct 2003.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    The RIBs are interchangable between vessels equipped with the Caley. Below is Niamhs Rib being carried on L.E.Eithne

Admiral
    Post Thanks / Like
    i think the diesels are for lpvs with the deltas going to the cpvs and the opvs still with the seariders with them obviously being retired over the next few years.

"Nice ass, Samson..." mutter nutter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie fish

Thanks to Joshua for the photos.
    is it me getting old, or do these sailors look "young"? .

me>
    Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Post Thanks / Like
    Their boarding uniform looks minging.

Post Thanks / Like
    ffs would you prefer to see them in square rig..with .303s....jesus! its practical, fitted for a days work...not a ken and barbie show.

How stupid a comment was that...can see it now...'sorry sir can't go boarding today..this kit clashes with the colour of the boat.......'

hold the head line just got it..designer kit for boarding parties complete with bling......

Banned User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed I doesnt matter what it looks like once it works , is comfortable, not too heavy, as soldier proof as possible ,easy to repair, but why all the knee pads .. since black hawk down everybody got to wear them

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BANDIT
    Agreed I doesnt matter what it looks like once it works , is comfortable, not too heavy, as soldier proof as possible ,easy to repair, but why all the knee pads .. since black hawk down everybody got to wear them
    Have you tried to take up a kneeling firing position on the steel deck of a ship recently?

It is more usual however for RIB crews to wear Typhoon suits, rather than overalls.

Post Thanks / Like

NS RIB Tender

The Irish Naval Service based in CORK, Ireland are continuing the upgrade of their standard sea-boats to diesel inboard engined RIB's. Two (2) diesels inboard engined RIB's are to be procured for 2007. In keeping with cross fleet standardisation the following specification has been developed for the Irish Navy sea-boats.Rigid Inflatable Boat (RIB) with inboard diesel engine and outboard single prop stern-drive.The RIB will be constructed of grey coloured GRP with a grey heavy duty inflatable buoyancy tube collar and extruded Rubbing Strakes. Hull moulding to be of resins and glass reinforcement materials to Lloyds Register approval.The RIB will fit 3.5 tonne SWL CALEY DAVIT single point launch and recovery system using a HENRIKSEN remote release HMK 5.0 hook accepting HLR 5 WLL 6.0 t lifting ring.The RIB is to hang slightly bow high suspended on the davit wire with cox'n and crew in their seats and 100% fuel onboard.The RIB will carry eight passengers and equipment, (calculation purposes 80kg/passenger) seated on straddle type seating modules complete with foot straps and under seat stowage compartments. All up weight of the boat NOT to exceed 3.5 tonne.
    CPV: 35121000, 35121100.

Post Thanks / Like
    More Jaguars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie fish View Post
    More Jaguars.
    Would I be right in saying replacement of the existing RIBs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sort of. The P50s have been swapping around with Eithnes Diesel RIBs since Eithnes conversion(mentioned elsewhere in this section). By all accounts they are an excellent boat, combined with the removal of the need to store Large quantities of Petrol out on the open decks.

However the older 5.4m Avon Sea riders are in use by all the current vessels in the Fleet(except Eithne). I assume the 2 mentioned above would be either swapped around the Caley equipped ships, or used when Eithnes Pair are away for maintenance.(She has to take back the petrol engined craft when her 2 Diesel boats are elsewhere. A logistical nightmare I imagine.

Post Thanks / Like
    The AVON Sea rider is an excellent RIB. Light and fast, and extremely good in heavy seas.

I managed to keep pace with a Delta 90Hp while helming a Avon 40Hp while in a choppy sea F6. The thing just seemed to skip of the waves.

I haven't seen the new inboard diesels. Whats the layout of them. Are they rear or for'd console arrangement?

Post Thanks / Like
    rear.

Post Thanks / Like
    "The AVON Sea rider is an excellent RIB. Light and fast, and extremely good in heavy seas"

Yeah right........light fast and with a reputation for hurting people,

Try with a Johnson 70hp hanging off the arse

Gave a lot of time in hospital because of a searider....

Muff Diver
    Post Thanks / Like
    SeaRider does 'ride' better than the newer ribs IMO, the diesel inboards ar a lot heavier along with the extra size of the boat means you have to hang on much tighter in a swell and are bounced around a lot more.

A lot of people have been injured during boardings, a trawler man helping me aboard in a 2m swell last year said as I boarded: "I thought my job was dangerous".

In defense of the newer boats, holding on to the side of a trawler should be easier with more power to push the stem on, less movement in light swells, more deck space for jumping back in.
    No Beast so fell that knows no pity,
    No Beast am I, For I know no pity...

bosun
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie fish View Post
    Have you tried to take up a kneeling firing position on the steel deck of a ship recently?

It is more usual however for RIB crews to wear Typhoon suits, rather than overalls.
    Great to see the progress that the service is making with equipment and the first searider was tried out in the basin with a haeley hansen suit jockey jordan was the man who got the ball rolling with them the whole depot was down looking at the display.. a huge change from the boarding boat blue foul weather gear with the towel wrapped around the neck...

Post Thanks / Like
    The latest feature is a "wet room" where you can change into your typhoon suit before going boarding, and out of it after return, and leave it to dry out properly, without getting the rest of your cabin soaked in the process.
    The P50 Class have it, and it will be a feature on all future ships.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah the towel was real touch of class..about the only use you could make of the issue towels.

They had a great dry hip pocket for keeping your fags in while waiting for the boarding party..never mind the 10 gallons of petrol that was constantly under water at the back.

I always wondered how they were supposed to keep you afloat when they usually left in more water than they kept out..but insanity prevailed over safety and off we clambered in to the endless deep with a boat that only stayed in the water by the virtue of the amount of water passing through it..us clad in our dodgy helly suits complete with steel toe capped safety boots and monkey caps..motorola radios which swung around your neck with leather straps and rope lanyards which upon returning to ship without the threat of being keel hauled was very real.

Ah the good old days.

Thread Information