Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok thanks everybody. ill take most of yer advice! i dont think bringing a knife of any kind is a good idea doh! and i havnt been asked for ID since i was16 so ill give that a miss. By the way, ive been told that Cavan is one of the best places ta get camp> What do ye think?

Comment

Stuff to bring on recruit camp, you know towel, razors, socks etc

Comment

Want to bring on camp

As an old skin in this line of work. I'm making up a list for recruits
        on what to bring on camp, as we all know there is always one that
        who forgets something, any ideas can you post them here, and i make up a list and post it back, for all to use
        hurry up and wait, are you back yet

Comment

And here's one I made earlier

I for one have made a resolution to bring all my possesions for the entire 28 service days I hope somehow to dig up in a Bergen and a suit carrier for my N0.1s if required (it will be strapped to my Bergen).
          How do you ask can a person live for nearly a month on anything less than a four piece match luggage set?
          1.Very simple, Only take one set of Civilian trousers/jacket (i.e a non scruffy tracksuit that can take being rolled up in the bottom of your bergen.),
          2.take 3 non military T-shirts and WASH one every day, similarly bring 5-7 pairs of underwear (once again use your initiative and find a way to wash them...DO NOT make yourself a health and safety issue.)
          3.Take a pair of shorts (the sporting as opposed to the fashion/leisure kind) for your PT gear they take less space and are quick to wash and dry.
          4.Make sure you have runners don't bother with shoes unless you really want to go clubbing, which obviously you won't!, If stuck on the ground with wet boots in freezing conditions you can always sleep with them on while your boots dry and not have to worry about being barefoot when the Shit hits the fan.
          5.Pack all your vital toiletries in one bag kept in one place, same with your day today t-shirts, socks &jocks always be able to find them so you won't waste time frantically searching in the morning.

NB: Beauty products are not essential or desirable kit, Wash gear is Towel, Face/pack towel, mirror Razor, Scissors/nail clippers Toothbrush/paste and sunscreen/personal medication, Shower gel shampoo (preferably all in one, i.e. Physio Sport).

6. Have a specific set of easily accessible "tactical" spares of underwear including socks, in your outer pockets (ask your unit for info on how to pack a bergen)

7. If your due to spend more than 36 hours on the ground then carry a razor and shaving oil (not foam, oil...ask your pharmacist) in your smock, a travel toothbrush and a mini tube of toothpaste are also desireable...it's better to have seperate sets for your field kit and washbag in order to save time, and because shaving oil is both less comfortable and less effective than foam, and electric razors are noisy and less effective than both.

8. Bring flipflops for wearing in the shower, if you love yourself at all you'll never step barefoot in an army shower.

9. If you have room bring an Iron and washing powder, bootpolish and starch although obviosuly these items can and should be shared...if its a promotion course or recruit camp you'll probably go through more than one tin of polish

Ok any comments?
          I'll cover loosely what customitems I reccomend for tactical use but remember for most suff it's better (and possibly more legal to go through official sources.)

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20
            sink plugs!
            you genious. also somthing to clean the sink before filling it for a shave

NB- clothes hangers.
            - flip flops
            - small lock
            - a tracksuit
            - bog roll
            - money (du!)
            - bank card

dont give your stuff to poeple you half know, coz you'll never see it again.

Comment

spare boxers for the lads is a must. know a lad who forgot them last year.....lets just say i'm lucky i'm female and didn't have to sleep in his billet.....nasty!!!
              Glaine áir gcroí
              Neart ár ngeag agus
              beart de réir ár mbriathar

-"If people behaved in the way nations do, They would all be put in straight jackets" - Tennessee Williams

Comment

Yeah lads..one per day at least is no load...pardon the pun..accidents happen like..

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Plastic bags for used underwear, as you approach the end of the week/fortnight you don't need to wash stuff you are bringing home so the plastic bags are useful for containing odours, a little consideration for others!

A small torch is invaluable and flip-flops are a must have.

Word of warning about Knives, if it's not issued you can be charged for having it. No daggers, bowie knives, stanleys or anything remotely offensive should be brought. This should constrain you to a leatherman, swiss army or seamans rigging kit. The latter is issueable though not often issued to NSR.
                  No Beast so fell that knows no pity,
                  No Beast am I, For I know no pity...

Comment

Items for Camp

This is a question for those of you in the FCA.
                    With Summer just around the corner, what essentials do I need to bring to camp.

Besides the obvious things like backpack, uniform and civilians clothes, swimwear, tracksuit, runners, pens, compass, notebookand toiletries etc. what would be handy to bring.

What items are not allowed (or are there banned items).

I am not a dumbass, I just want to get it right this time around.
                    Last edited by Joshua; 3 April 2005, 18:55. Reason: [MOD: Thread Merge]
                    "The artillery was my strongest tool. Often it was my only reserve .... I repeatedly said it was more a matter of the infantry supporting the artillery than the artillery supporting the infantry.... I wish I knew the countless times that positions were taken or held due solely to TOT's ...."

Major General R. 0. Barton

Comment

http://www.irishmilitaryonline.com/b...46&postcount=2

Comment

Thanks.
                        For some reason or other I can't use the search function properly.

Wouldn't have asked otherwise.
                        "The artillery was my strongest tool. Often it was my only reserve .... I repeatedly said it was more a matter of the infantry supporting the artillery than the artillery supporting the infantry.... I wish I knew the countless times that positions were taken or held due solely to TOT's ...."

Major General R. 0. Barton

Comment

http://www.irishmilitaryonline.com/b...ight=camp+list

Comment

socks, jocks & t-shirts with those you can survive
                            then its really up to you
                            uniform you should be in it on the way down to camp
                            civvies for going out
                            pair of civvie shoes for blokes(some places can be strict on dress code it depends where you are)
                            athletes foot powder, spray, cream anything just take it incase
                            shaving kit, shampoo, towel, flip flops
                            cash(find out where you are going i.e. Bere Island two weeks no ATM nightmare), phone charger, padlock
                            shorts
                            the list can keep going and going but the essentials for blokes anyway is sock, jocks and t-shirts as many as yo own believe me
                            Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

A consolidated list for what to bring on RDF (not NSR) recruit camp:

Basically all issued uniform
                              Trousers, Socks, Boots, Jumper, Norwegian, Shirts, Smock, T-Shirts, Beret, field dressing, ear plugs, kit bag

Extra issue kit you need/get
                              webbing - CEFO/CEMO
                              sleeping bag
                              wet gear
                              Peltors

Wash Gear
                              Wash bag
                              travel toothbrush & paste set
                              soap (in container)
                              shower gel
                              deorderant
                              razor with spare blades
                              shaving foam
                              foot powder
                              face cloth (if desired)
                              nail brush
                              nail scissors
                              sink plug
                              bog roll
                              hand towel
                              1+ bath towel
                              flip flops
                              small mirror
                              baby wipes

other personal admin & cleaning gear
                              polish (2 tins)
                              2 polishing brushs/cloths
                              insoles (2 pairs)
                              spare laces
                              small first aid kit
                              any PERSCRIBED medication you are on
                              insect repellent (depending on where you are)
                              mess tins
                              knife fork spoon set
                              water bottle + mug
                              sun block
                              2/3 bin bags
                              clothes brush
                              Iron (1 between 5-10 people)
                              2 clothes hangers
                              sewing kit
                              small torch
                              small lock for bag (ask your NCOs if you will have lockers - if so 2 small locks)
                              anything you NEED to SURVIVE for a week/2 weeks away from home

other stuff
                              combat type boots (think carefully before you spend a fortune, shop around - ask your NCOs)
                              bush hat
                              socks (at least 4 pairs, I prefer not to have to wash them on camp & so bring 1 pair per day)
                              underwear (as with socks)
                              camo cream
                              small backpack
                              civys
                              jacket / coat
                              small pen knife (check with your NCOs)
                              runners
                              civy socks (3/4 pairs - daily if doing PT - ask your NCOs)
                              civy t-shirts / shirts (2 or 3)
                              civy jumper
                              civy coat / jacket
                              jeans / slacks (1 pair - if going to the Mess you may not be allowed to wear a tracksuit)
                              tracksuit & shorts (if doing PT - ask your NCOs)
                              notebook
                              pens & pencils
                              small backpack (may be useful)
                              money (enough to buy a bottles of water, chocolate/crisps, a FEW pints - if you are allowed)
                              phone & charger (only if you can't do without texts for girl/boyfriend/wife/husband/kids, a signal isn't guaranted, personally don't think recruits should break them)

Try to balance too much / too little gear

MOST IMPORTANT THING TO PACK!!!!!!
                              YOUR SENSE OF HUMOUR

WHAT NOT TO BRING
                              WEAPONS OF ANY DESCRIPTION
                              VALUABLES
                              EXCESSIVE JEWELLEY (more than a wedding ring in my opinon)
                              DRUGS / ALCOHOL

Support the store!
                              Last edited by DeV; 24 April 2005, 16:22.

Comment

get in contact with me for this, i can sort you out with most of what you need!

just read the ad :tri: :tri:
                                The trick to pet names is a combination of affectionate nouns. Honeybun. Sugarpie. Kittentits.

Comment

Working...
                                X