Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    irish_zero

extra gear for recruit camp

I'm going on my FCA recruit camp in Cavan on Saturday. Is there anything i shouldn't forget? Other than kiwi polish of course!

DriverGirl
    Don't forget a towel!!! I also do and end up having to buy one on the way...

carlsberg

Thumbs up

Don't forget to bring a loo roll with you as the stuff provided will scrape the ass of you, also flip-flops for the shower, and remember to put you Army No: on all items of your uniform, including boots and beret.

DriverGirl
    Yes, and bring a phone charger...

Post Thanks / Like
    and dont forget your Condoms...... to keep the styer waterproof!
    Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

http://www.iamawesome.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, for my recruit camp, I actually brought too much stuff, and ended up causing myself a nightmare as I had too much kit to store etc.

I'd say you will definitly not need as much civvy clothes as you think. Also, one of the best possible things that you can bring is a cordless iron. It is fantastic, especially as there is usually never enough room for ironing, and the damn place they give you to iron is usually very awkward to use.
    Meh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bring nail clippers, no one ever seems to have them.
    "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

carlsberg

Cool

From my experience the only civvy clothes required are a pair of jeans / pants, (or a dress for ladies if they so wish), change of socks and underwear for the week, a few t-shirts, and if you're having and end of camp party on the last nite, something to dress up in a bit more than the rest of the week

Post Thanks / Like
    sink plugs!

Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    just use the cap off your shaving foam it works wonders!

Post Thanks / Like
    A pair of insoles for your boots and polish.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
    http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Wash gear:
    Toothpaste, brush, towel, soap, shampoo, lynx, nail clippers, bog roll.
    Shaving gear:
    Razor&shaving gel (Because if you bring an electric they might have no sockets!)
    Civvie Clothes:
    Pants, T-Shirts, Socks&Jocks, Jacket/Coat
    Polishing Gear:
    Kiwi, Brush, QuickShine(For emergency use!)
    Other:
    Money!!!, Mobile, Don't forget banking details if you haven't already given them in!
    Swiss army knife, ID, a small iron.

As already mentioned don't bring too much as you'll have to lug it around until you get billeted and storage may be a problem.

Sanity is optional!!!!:p

p.s. Best of Luck!

carlsberg
    ID is very important, especially if you intend to get langered...most places won't even let you in without it...

even camp bars are under observation now!!!

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    don't forget loadsa money if you intend on getting totally jellied!!! i ran outta money last year disaster!!! lol oh and bring foot powder (just incase) and not to forget bring headache tablets of preferably get "get up and go with the verve"....it works wonders especially when you wake up at half six for PT
    Glaine áir gcro?*
    Neart ár ngeag agus
    beart de réir ár mbriathar

-"If people behaved in the way nations do, They would all be put in straight jackets" - Tennessee Williams

Post Thanks / Like

here it is again!

did'nt copy well but you get the idea......

ARMY. CIVVIES. CLEANING.

TROUSERS DPM. TOWELS

SHIRTS DPM SHIRTS SOAP
    BELT SHAMPOO
    TSHIRTS TROUSERS TOOTHPASTE + BRUSH

PULLOVER WD SOCKS RAZOR + FOAM

headgear UNDERWEAR ANTIPERSPIRANT
    BOOTS SHOES
    SOCKS JACKET NAILBRUSH

TOILET ROLL

WET GEAR 1 AFTERSHAVE

EAR PROTECTORS 1 FACECLOTH

RANK MARKINGS FOOTPOWDER

SPORTS
    TOILET BAG

RUNNERS BOOT POLISH
    SHORTS 2 BRUSHES
    SOCKS TIGHTS
    TRACKSUIT POLISH CLOTH
    TSHIRTS SMALL SCRUB BRUSH

MISCELLANEOUS
    SUNGLASSES
    MOBILE CHARGER
    MOBILE PHONE
    NOTEBOOK + PENS
    PILLOW
    SINK PLUG.
    HANGERS
    SANDALS
    SUNBLOCK
    CHAPSTICK
    INSECT REPELLANT

irish_zero
    ok thanks everybody. ill take most of yer advice! i dont think bringing a knife of any kind is a good idea doh! and i havnt been asked for ID since i was16 so ill give that a miss. By the way, ive been told that Cavan is one of the best places ta get camp> What do ye think?

DriverGirl
    Stuff to bring on recruit camp, you know towel, razors, socks etc

Corporal
    Post Thanks / Like

Want to bring on camp

As an old skin in this line of work. I'm making up a list for recruits
    on what to bring on camp, as we all know there is always one that
    who forgets something, any ideas can you post them here, and i make up a list and post it back, for all to use
    hurry up and wait, are you back yet

Post Thanks / Like

And here's one I made earlier

I for one have made a resolution to bring all my possesions for the entire 28 service days I hope somehow to dig up in a Bergen and a suit carrier for my N0.1s if required (it will be strapped to my Bergen).
    How do you ask can a person live for nearly a month on anything less than a four piece match luggage set?
    1.Very simple, Only take one set of Civilian trousers/jacket (i.e a non scruffy tracksuit that can take being rolled up in the bottom of your bergen.),
    2.take 3 non military T-shirts and WASH one every day, similarly bring 5-7 pairs of underwear (once again use your initiative and find a way to wash them...DO NOT make yourself a health and safety issue.)
    3.Take a pair of shorts (the sporting as opposed to the fashion/leisure kind) for your PT gear they take less space and are quick to wash and dry.
    4.Make sure you have runners don't bother with shoes unless you really want to go clubbing, which obviously you won't!, If stuck on the ground with wet boots in freezing conditions you can always sleep with them on while your boots dry and not have to worry about being barefoot when the Shit hits the fan.
    5.Pack all your vital toiletries in one bag kept in one place, same with your day today t-shirts, socks &jocks always be able to find them so you won't waste time frantically searching in the morning.

NB: Beauty products are not essential or desirable kit, Wash gear is Towel, Face/pack towel, mirror Razor, Scissors/nail clippers Toothbrush/paste and sunscreen/personal medication, Shower gel shampoo (preferably all in one, i.e. Physio Sport).

6. Have a specific set of easily accessible "tactical" spares of underwear including socks, in your outer pockets (ask your unit for info on how to pack a bergen)

7. If your due to spend more than 36 hours on the ground then carry a razor and shaving oil (not foam, oil...ask your pharmacist) in your smock, a travel toothbrush and a mini tube of toothpaste are also desireable...it's better to have seperate sets for your field kit and washbag in order to save time, and because shaving oil is both less comfortable and less effective than foam, and electric razors are noisy and less effective than both.

8. Bring flipflops for wearing in the shower, if you love yourself at all you'll never step barefoot in an army shower.

9. If you have room bring an Iron and washing powder, bootpolish and starch although obviosuly these items can and should be shared...if its a promotion course or recruit camp you'll probably go through more than one tin of polish

Ok any comments?
    I'll cover loosely what customitems I reccomend for tactical use but remember for most suff it's better (and possibly more legal to go through official sources.)

Sgt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Bravo20
    sink plugs!
    you genious. also somthing to clean the sink before filling it for a shave

NB- clothes hangers.
    - flip flops
    - small lock
    - a tracksuit
    - bog roll
    - money (du!)
    - bank card

dont give your stuff to poeple you half know, coz you'll never see it again.

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    spare boxers for the lads is a must. know a lad who forgot them last year.....lets just say i'm lucky i'm female and didn't have to sleep in his billet.....nasty!!!
    Glaine áir gcro?*
    Neart ár ngeag agus
    beart de réir ár mbriathar

-"If people behaved in the way nations do, They would all be put in straight jackets" - Tennessee Williams

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah lads..one per day at least is no load...pardon the pun..accidents happen like..

Muff Diver
    Post Thanks / Like
    Plastic bags for used underwear, as you approach the end of the week/fortnight you don't need to wash stuff you are bringing home so the plastic bags are useful for containing odours, a little consideration for others!

A small torch is invaluable and flip-flops are a must have.

Word of warning about Knives, if it's not issued you can be charged for having it. No daggers, bowie knives, stanleys or anything remotely offensive should be brought. This should constrain you to a leatherman, swiss army or seamans rigging kit. The latter is issueable though not often issued to NSR.
    No Beast so fell that knows no pity,
    No Beast am I, For I know no pity...

Private 2*
    Post Thanks / Like

Items for Camp

This is a question for those of you in the FCA.
    With Summer just around the corner, what essentials do I need to bring to camp.

Besides the obvious things like backpack, uniform and civilians clothes, swimwear, tracksuit, runners, pens, compass, notebookand toiletries etc. what would be handy to bring.

What items are not allowed (or are there banned items).

I am not a dumbass, I just want to get it right this time around.
    Last edited by Joshua; 3rd April 2005 at 17:55. Reason: [MOD: Thread Merge]

Post Thanks / Like

Thread Information