Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Direct Entry - Ordnance Corps

Does anyone here work in the ordnance corps? Has anyone applied for the position of ordnance officer this month?
    I applied a couple of weeks ago, and was wondering when I should expect to hear anything back.....:-patriot:

Post Thanks / Like
    Do these direct entry positions come up often? I wish they would put them on the web site instead of just the papers

Post Thanks / Like
    I didnt see it either - a friend noticed it in the Indo and gave me the word...The army had told me it would be on Military.ie and on monster - but guess what...it was'nt!

Post Thanks / Like
    Apparently they are still only processing the applications - acknowledgements will be given next week - with interviews to follow...:-patriot:
    Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir"
    without adding, "You're making a scene."

Shnig
    sorry what are ordnance corps?

Potential Liability yellowjacket's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    With 50,000 men getting killed a week, who's going to miss a pigeon?

Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people.

Shnig
    ta

Post Thanks / Like
    Was told to expect the interviews to be held in November. Does anyone know if they are still being held - is anyone else doing it?

Frank Aiken
    When was the closing date?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sometime in June! The interviews were to be in July/August but got postponed...now with all the talk of further cuts....dont know where I stand!

John
    The Irish Independent

13 Nov 2003

Military sets recruitment sights on graduates

THE military is to place greater emphasis on graduates in new recruitment campaigns for cadets for the Defence Forces.

A conference heard yesterday that the aim is to move away from primarily targeting the school leaver and concentrating more on graduates who would be compensated for their college education by being commissioned as lieutenants.

It is part of an overall drive to introduce an all-embracing system of integrated officer induction and training that will provide for school leavers, graduates and personnel who have come up through the enlisted ranks.

Raco, the representative association for officers in the Defence Forces, has for some time argued that the ad hoc systems used to train officers are divisive.

Its annual conference in Tralee yesterday was told by its president Lieut Col Paul Allen there were two areas where Raco would not compromise - there would be no reduction in the educational standard required and any quota system for a particular group was out of the question.

He also said that his association is pushing for real decentralisation of sections of Defence Forces headquarters and not merely minor movements to the fringes of Dublin city.

Tom Brady
    Security Editor

Post Thanks / Like
    Decentralisation is a whole other issue, but recruiting graduates makes all kinds of sense from an economic point of view. You avoid paying someone wages for three years minimum as an undergraduate, and possibly bed & board also, when you only have those personnell for a max of four months a year. Thats a minimum of €60k saved per graduate recruited to the DF.

Add to that the life skills that a graduate will inevitably pick up, and you get a more mature, better officer corps
    Take these men and women for your example.
    Like them, remember that posterity can only
    be for the free; that freedom is the sure
    possession of those who have the
    courage to defend it.
    Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
    If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Pandora
    Got a letter last Friday.
    This competition has been cancelled.
    The anticipated vacancies in the Ordnance Corps did not occur.

Western Commando
    Its annual conference in Tralee yesterday was told by its president Lieut Col Paul Allen there were two areas where Raco would not compromise - there would be no reduction in the educational standard required and any quota system for a particular group was out of the question
    Nice to see who calls the shots these days. Admittedly this could be seen as "conditions of service" issue but I still don't like the idea of any representative association issuing instructions to the chain of command about how they want the DF to be run.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you reckon this could push the stupid age limit back up? maybe to 29 or under as in the BA???

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the areas open to representative associations to make representations on is changes in the entry requirements.

Post Thanks / Like
    well i think that theyre making a mistake by reducing it so severely, i do understand the need to reduce the age profile but I think they are handicapping themselves from taking peeps from industry with real experience who could add so much to the future of the defence forces.

Maybe even improve management and the overall structure by bringing in currently used industry techniques applicable to current problems instead of relying on useless civil servants and their pen pushing, penny saving paper mountains.

Post Thanks / Like
    Morpheus, there hasn't been any change in the rules. The age limit is as it always has been.

However, I do think they should look at short term comissions for specific skills such as Doctors and Engineers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bravo20 - why would it be a short term commission? If I (25) got in as an engineer into the cadets, I'd be finished in 21 months. If a 22 year old got in, he would do his 21 months, followed by a 4 year course (provided they passes each year and didnt repeat). which would mean that I would be ready to work fully trained a year younger than the current situation...and I am too old to go for cadets........doesnt make sense.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes but short term commissioning allows you to take in older engineers with experience to use for specific tasks. Also I am taking about direct entries not cadets.

Post Thanks / Like
    One way or the other they canceled the interviews for DE and as mentioned I'm too old for cadets so I'm left high and dry.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Reading your comments with a wry smile... do yourselves a favour and dont bother with the ordnance corp.All of the members are trying to get out and morale is rock bottom. This is since the restructure and because of having to answer to infantry officers up the chain of command. They seem to be have it in for non infantry units.A soldier with four years training in a technical discipline can be employed on menial tasks and pointless duties.This is a complete and utter waste of resources. Plus because garrison strengths were slashed and their independence within a command taken away,their work load has increased dramatically because they are not allowed to choose what tasks to priotise.
    The men work well under constant supervision and cornered like rats in a trap

Post Thanks / Like
    If I go DE the only position I can go for is the Ordnance corps....

Post Thanks / Like
    CIS????

is that the IT section in the army???

Post Thanks / Like
    morpheus

taken from military.ie:

Communication and Information Services (CIS) Corps

Formerly the Army Corps of signals, this corps is responsible for providing all communication and information technology services to the Defence Forces. This role includes the development and maintenance of a countrywide private Defence Forces Telecommunications Network (DFTN), which can support both voice and data services, and the provision, and maintenance of military radio equipment for use by Defence Forces personnel at home and abroad. The DFTN provides advanced telecommunications services including desk to desk dialing and networked IT services such as E mail, Internet and Intranet access, as well as fax and paging services. The CIS Corps also provides communication links to all overseas missions including a satellite link from DFTN to Irish Transport Company, Kosovo and Irish Guard, Eritea for voice and data.

Thread Information