No announcement yet.

Direct Entry - Ordnance Corps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the areas open to representative associations to make representations on is changes in the entry requirements.

Comment

well i think that theyre making a mistake by reducing it so severely, i do understand the need to reduce the age profile but I think they are handicapping themselves from taking peeps from industry with real experience who could add so much to the future of the defence forces.

Maybe even improve management and the overall structure by bringing in currently used industry techniques applicable to current problems instead of relying on useless civil servants and their pen pushing, penny saving paper mountains.
      "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
      "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Morpheus, there hasn't been any change in the rules. The age limit is as it always has been.

However, I do think they should look at short term comissions for specific skills such as Doctors and Engineers.

Comment

Bravo20 - why would it be a short term commission? If I (25) got in as an engineer into the cadets, I'd be finished in 21 months. If a 22 year old got in, he would do his 21 months, followed by a 4 year course (provided they passes each year and didnt repeat). which would mean that I would be ready to work fully trained a year younger than the current situation...and I am too old to go for cadets........doesnt make sense.

Comment

Yes but short term commissioning allows you to take in older engineers with experience to use for specific tasks. Also I am taking about direct entries not cadets.

Comment

One way or the other they canceled the interviews for DE and as mentioned I'm too old for cadets so I'm left high and dry.....

Comment

Reading your comments with a wry smile... do yourselves a favour and dont bother with the ordnance corp.All of the members are trying to get out and morale is rock bottom. This is since the restructure and because of having to answer to infantry officers up the chain of command. They seem to be have it in for non infantry units.A soldier with four years training in a technical discipline can be employed on menial tasks and pointless duties.This is a complete and utter waste of resources. Plus because garrison strengths were slashed and their independence within a command taken away,their work load has increased dramatically because they are not allowed to choose what tasks to priotise.
                The men work well under constant supervision and cornered like rats in a trap

Comment

If I go DE the only position I can go for is the Ordnance corps....

Comment

CIS????

is that the IT section in the army???
                    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

morpheus

taken from military.ie:

Communication and Information Services (CIS) Corps

Formerly the Army Corps of signals, this corps is responsible for providing all communication and information technology services to the Defence Forces. This role includes the development and maintenance of a countrywide private Defence Forces Telecommunications Network (DFTN), which can support both voice and data services, and the provision, and maintenance of military radio equipment for use by Defence Forces personnel at home and abroad. The DFTN provides advanced telecommunications services including desk to desk dialing and networked IT services such as E mail, Internet and Intranet access, as well as fax and paging services. The CIS Corps also provides communication links to all overseas missions including a satellite link from DFTN to Irish Transport Company, Kosovo and Irish Guard, Eritea for voice and data.

Comment

Kermit - I have a degree in manufacturing engineering. (also a cert and dip in mechanical) Manufacturing is basically mechanical but instead of doing a subject called Thermal and fluid, you concentrate on management ....in my opinion just as useful in the army as each other.
                        The unfortunate thing (for me ) is that the Army will only consider my discipline of engineering for the Ord corps...
                        I would love to do a cadetship so I could work anywhere in the army but I am a year too old!! The IDF have a cap of under 25 where other armies have it at 30.....

Any suggestions?

Comment

Become Taoiseach and reset the age limit.

Seriously thogh, I know how you feel, I`m 27 and originally missed out on Air Corps cadet by 7 days. pain in the arse.

I`m trying to get into it still now that I hear CIS sometimes take in direct entry, but I mean they dont advertise these positions publicly, (at least not to my knowledge) so how can they take in direct entry people????

I`ve a National certificate, a National diploma AND Bachelors degree in computer Science and 3 years experience. and I doubt I would get in either.

If only i could go back in time, i would have gone leaving cert ----> Air corps.:confused:

Comment

They advertised the CIS and ord corps DE positions way back in the April or there abouts.It was in the Indo - hard to spot unless you buy it every day. I was told they would advertise online but they didnt...
                            Regarding going back in time...good idea!

Happy Christmas

Comment

Cadetships into Ordnance Corps now being offered

Comment

Only 15 years after the thread was started. Zombie thread apocalypse!!

Comment

Working...
                                X